Oceanic console & computer (nitrox capable)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score
Hi. Im looking at buying a consule that has room for expansion for a computer. Ive seen an Oceanic model that is compact and looks quite complete.

I think the model is the DataPlus2. Any experiences/advice? Thanks!!

I use the Genesis React and like it very much. It is also one of the "hockey puck" computers, and with the two buttons allows me to access info and settings fairly quickly. And it is Nitrox Compatible.

But a quick look at their website showed me that this computer has a good layout and the features are similar to many good computers out there.

So in a nutshell, this appears to be a good choice.

Data plus 2 is an excellent computer.Has more lenient algorithms than any of the suuntos.I usually get 2-4 minutes extra at depth 85 -125 over my Buechat,Suunto clad buddies.Also has trmendous download capacity.I only have to download 1 once a year with a medium sampling rate.

Thanks Tony & Mike. Im continuing to do some research and will be buying something in the next couple of weeks.

Gaucho

The Oceanic DataPlus 2 has computer expansion possibilities. As a matter a fact, it already has a nitrox compatible computer in it. Sign on to oceanicworldwide.com for more complete details.

Ken

Gaucho,
I recently bought a Data Plus 2 and so far so good. It's more forgiving than my Mares Nitrox Surveyor. I've only logged five dives with it, but I'm very happy with it. For the price it's a great value!
:tree:Bob

A couple of you have said something that made me raise a point of discussion.

You have said that "..my computer is more lenient" and "...allows me more NDL time than the other computer".

My discussion point is that, wouldn't you rather "err" on the side of safety by going with the more conservative computer? (which may result in less NDL time)

I realize that each computer is a bit different, and the algorithims being used are not perfect, and can't take into account other important data points (your physical size, level of athleticism, and other points that contribute to nitrogen loading and off gassing). But it seems "smarter" to me to go with something that provides me a slightly bit less exposure to the contributing factors of DCI/DCS than to push the limit.

Any comments/discussion?

(I'm not picking nits on brands, just introducing a general discussion point)

TexasMike,a good question.Here is the answer.Look at the NDLs for every computer on the market.They are all less than the dive tables we learned.There is a degree of coservatism already built in.Rodales does a good job of rating the relative conservatism of each computer.But like any other"computer" there are a few caveats.None of them truly are built for long term -multi-day repetitive diving.During the summer I may take a day just to offgas by limiting my diving to less than 30'.At times I go 30-40 straight diving my computer out in 60-120 ft.In thousands of dives total and almost a thousand on this computer,no DCS except for sub-clinical(blahs,headache,soreness,tiredness)A worthy accomplishment for a $250 toy.

hold on if your thinking of an oceanic computer, they are bring out some new models. i will be testing some on the weekend for them an i will let you all know how they work and whats new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom