Oceanic BUD as a MAIN dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive-comp-wiz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
G'day, people!

Other day I met one bloke who was using Oceanic BUD as his main dive computer! When I asked him - what made him using as a main - he answered: "...very simple, nothing to break down..."
Is someone of you using BUD as a main instrument or experimenting with it a lot? And how good it may be in this role?
I think Mares Puck will do better job for less money and more functions!

Glad to hear any of your ideas!

Looks to have the same features as a 'normal' dive computer, not much different at all from an old Veo I have somewhere at home. Could this be just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more computers?

G'day, IanBrit!

That man didn't look like representative of some scuba gear retail company! :) Just one of many decent Ozzy Geezers! He was quite happy with BUD and SPG with depth gauge

its a computer, it does what you need.

I dont understand the back up computer idea that they are pushing. you should have a familurity with tables and carry them if your computer breaks. For MDL diving you should be able to estimate your BT if your computer dies durring the dive, but with any major equipment failure, you should be calling the dive at that moment and starting your ascent.

Your main backup is your buddies computer though in this case.

It is a computer. Oceanic just marketed it a little differently trying to get people to buy another of their products. I don't like the plastic clip on it, can see that breaking and then losing the "backup. I would have thought if it was truly intended to be a back up they would have put more thought into the clip. As far as backups you can buy for less. FWIW I think if you are going get a back up it's worth getting one with the same algorithm as your primary. As far as the "bloke" saying "...very simple, nothing to break down" no more or less than many (all?) other computes on the market. The only thing that has nothing to break down is nothing.:D

It is a computer. Oceanic just marketed it a little differently trying to get people to buy another of their products. I don't like the plastic clip on it, can see that breaking and then losing the "backup. I would have thought if it was truly intended to be a back up they would have put more thought into the clip. As far as backups you can buy for less. FWIW I think if you are going get a back up it's worth getting one with the same algorithm as your primary. As far as the "bloke" saying "...very simple, nothing to break down" no more or less than many (all?) other computes on the market. The only thing that has nothing to break down is nothing.:D

Oh, buddhasummer! I completely agree with you that it must have better clip! Oceanic should make a better boot with decent clip as a whole, in order not to lose it accidentally!

I have had so many clips attached to lights, cameras, etc that are virtually identical to the one on the BUD and have never had a problem with one breaking.

It's almost identical to a "real" dive computer, it just costs less. If you buy one with a "real" Oceanic primary computer, they are even less. Having used a primary and backup computer for almost 10 years (haven't really needed the backup except when the non-user replaceable battery on the primary dies), I think it's a pretty decent idea. Clip it off and forget about it.

I have had so many clips attached to lights, cameras, etc that are virtually identical to the one on the BUD and have never had a problem with one breaking.

It's almost identical to a "real" dive computer, it just costs less. If you buy one with a "real" Oceanic primary computer, they are even less. Having used a primary and backup computer for almost 10 years (haven't really needed the backup except when the non-user replaceable battery on the primary dies), I think it's a pretty decent idea. Clip it off and forget about it.

I do too but with equipment that I don't want to lose I use metal bolt snaps.

Just out of curiosity what are the differences between this and a "real" dive computer? other than the clip I mean.

It may costs less than some but is also costs more than others:wink:

......Just out of curiosity what are the differences between this and a "real" dive computer? other than the clip I mean.......

PO2 Alarm fixed at 1.4, No Audible Alarms, No PC Interface.

More info HERE

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom