Oceanic BUD as a MAIN dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PO2 Alarm fixed at 1.4, No Audible Alarms, No PC Interface.

More info HERE

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks for the info Alberto.

Do you know if any other comps have a PO2 fixed at 1.4? I've never encountered this. I wonder why they chose to "fix" it. Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, when you say fixed do you mean this is the max or that it cannot be lowered either? So basically their are two differences PO2 and alarms. To my knowledge (i'll ceed to yours), no PC interface is not uncommon on "real" computers either. Even less sure what the point of if it is. If it was significantly cheaper then maybe.

I have a BUD and use it for what it was designed to do. Backup. On my last trip I left my Datamask in the room one day. I had the BUD, it was clipped on to my BC. I used it as my primary for a 2 tank dive. It worked just fine. It served the purpose I intended it to do, a backup. I didn't lose any dives and the next day I made sure to remember my Datamask. (the dive op had an extra mask on the boat and loaned it to me.)

.......Do you know if any other comps have a PO2 fixed at 1.4? ......
Not sure ...... Maybe some old ones.

...... when you say fixed do you mean this is the max or that it cannot be lowered either? .....
It means that the PO2 Alarm is fixed at 1.4ATA and it is not programmable (as it is instead in most dive computers)

..... To my knowledge (i'll ceed to yours), no PC interface is not uncommon on "real" computers either. ......
Actually most modern dive computers DO have the "PC Interface" to allow users to download their logs

..... If it was significantly cheaper then maybe.
If I recall this correctly, Oceanic had (has?) a special offer where the B.U.D. comes for free when a customers purchases a specific set of gear.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Not sure ...... Maybe some old ones.

It means that the PO2 Alarm is fixed at 1.4ATA and it is not programmable (as it is instead in most dive computers)

Actually most modern dive computers DO have the "PC Interface" to allow users to download their logs

If I recall this correctly, Oceanic had (has?) a special offer where the B.U.D. comes for free when a customers purchases a specific set of gear.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

In that case, great.

Again thanks for the info.

No thanks for me on using as a main computer! One, there is a big lack of features that most divers commonly like in a computer. Secondly (which is a big one for me), this falls under the category of wrist computer or console discussion. I believe that divers are less likely to monitor it when it is clipped off. Divers work more efficiently and have more control when then go hands free and use a wrist computer.

I normally dive a Suunto D9. The battery died (again), so I'm back to my Stinger. Know what features I use? Current depth, bottom time, remaining bottom time. The BUD has all of those features.

I still wouldn't personally use it as a primary, but that's since I have an inventory of higher end computers, but if they all died, I wouldn't have a problem using a BUD.

No thanks for me on using as a main computer! One, there is a big lack of features that most divers commonly like in a computer. Secondly (which is a big one for me), this falls under the category of wrist computer or console discussion. I believe that divers are less likely to monitor it when it is clipped off. Divers work more efficiently and have more control when then go hands free and use a wrist computer.

Or even more control (and truly hands free) when using a Datamask with the BUD as a backup. The BUD also has dual algorthym which you can match to your main computer's algorithm.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom