Oceanic Atom 3.1 vs Oceanic Vt4 - relatively new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_shark_whisperer_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around scubaboard for a while now, but could not find an existing thread addressing my specific question.

I am looking to buy my first dive computer, and at the moment am tossing up between the Oceanic Atom 3.1 or Oceanic Vt4. I dive on Nitrox, and recently got certified to dive to 40m/130ft. I plan to do more advanced training as time goes on, so am looking to purchase a computer that will suit me for several years.

Price is also a consideration for me, as I don't want to pay too much for a computer at the expense of buying other gear.

From what I've researched, the main difference between the two models I am looking at are the addition of the electronic compass. I think I can live without that, to save a bit of money. I don't really have an issue with purchasing a separate compass.

Could anyone who knows these computers let me know if I am missing something obvious in terms of differentiation between these two computers? I do like the watch style, and they both look pretty user friendly based on the demo videos and reviews I have seen for them both.

Thank you in advance for any advice!! I very much appreciate it!

Cheers.

Thanks NetDoc!
I am leaning more towards the atom 3.1 - do you think this would be suitable for a fairly new diver (who plans to go more advanced over time)?

Cheers

I have an Atom 3.0. The only difference to the 3.1 is that in the 3.1 they took out the Buddy Check feature due to a patent infringement suit.

I'm not positive, but I thought the VT4 was a fair bit physically larger than the Atom. A puck size versus a watch size. I definitely prefer the watch size.

I dive with 2 computers and my other computer has a nice electronic compass built in. I still carry a DGX Tech compass when I think I might actually have a use for a compass. I only use the electronic compass in my computer when it turns I need (or want) a compass unexpectedly. The electronic compass is nice that way in that it lets me dive without taking the physical compass if I don't think I'll need it, knowing that I have the e-compass for just in case. If I didn't have the e-compass I would pretty much always take my physical compass.

I was where you are 1 year ago. I'm now almost finished with my first tech diving course (Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures). Thus why I now have 2 computers as the newer one is a Trimix-capable tech computer. I don't regret the Atom at all as it works great as a backup to my tech computer for deco dives. I can use it in gauge mode, or, as it is less conservative for deco than my tech computer, I can even set it for both the gases I'm carrying and use it as a backup for deco, as well. And it has remained my preferred computer for recreational dives.

I have a VT4.1 and love it. I don't really see much different comparing the Atom 3.1 and the VT4.1. I bought my VT4.1 with transmitter for $540, and I'm seeing them for around $640 right now. I see the Atom 3.1 for $900. I don't see any features of the Atom to justify the price different.

I have an Atom 3.0. The only difference to the 3.1 is that in the 3.1 they took out the Buddy Check feature due to a patent infringement suit.

I'm not positive, but I thought the VT4 was a fair bit physically larger than the Atom. A puck size versus a watch size. I definitely prefer the watch size.

I dive with 2 computers and my other computer has a nice electronic compass built in. I still carry a DGX Tech compass when I think I might actually have a use for a compass. I only use the electronic compass in my computer when it turns I need (or want) a compass unexpectedly. The electronic compass is nice that way in that it lets me dive without taking the physical compass if I don't think I'll need it, knowing that I have the e-compass for just in case. If I didn't have the e-compass I would pretty much always take my physical compass.

I was where you are 1 year ago. I'm now almost finished with my first tech diving course (Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures). Thus why I now have 2 computers as the newer one is a Trimix-capable tech computer. I don't regret the Atom at all as it works great as a backup to my tech computer for deco dives. I can use it in gauge mode, or, as it is less conservative for deco than my tech computer, I can even set it for both the gases I'm carrying and use it as a backup for deco, as well. And it has remained my preferred computer for recreational dives.

Thanks stuartv! I am not sure that i would get into tech diving anytime soon so feel pretty comfortable with the atom 3.1 for recreational. I also like the smaller, watch-style computer too. It's comforting to hear your feedback as that it is my preferred one at this point!

I have a VT4.1 and love it. I don't really see much different comparing the Atom 3.1 and the VT4.1. I bought my VT4.1 with transmitter for $540, and I'm seeing them for around $640 right now. I see the Atom 3.1 for $900. I don't see any features of the Atom to justify the price different.

Thanks for this kairoos..hmm i am seeing different price differences here in Australua - the atom 3.1 seems to be a few hundred dollars cheaper than the vt4 on the website and stores i've looked at! But i agree i haven't seen a lot of differences between the two apart from what i mentioned earlier.

You didn't specifically say, I assume you would dive either computer AI, with a transmitter, or you wouldn't be looking at those 2 computers in comparison. You probably know that Oceanic discontinued the VT4.1 some months ago, it is no longer widely available though I would assume, if purchased from an authorized dealer, would be supported by Oceanic.

I have a VT3, predecessor of the VT4 and VT4.1. It's a great computer, flawless for 5 1/2 years and 640 dives. I dive a Geo2 as a backup along with an SPG. The Geo2 is very similar to the Atom 3.1 but not AI. Mine has performed flawlessly, almost as long as the VT3.

You didn't specifically say, I assume you would dive either computer AI, with a transmitter, or you wouldn't be looking at those 2 computers in comparison. You probably know that Oceanic discontinued the VT4.1 some months ago, it is no longer widely available though I would assume, if purchased from an authorized dealer, would be supported by Oceanic.

I have a VT3, predecessor of the VT4 and VT4.1. It's a great computer, flawless for 5 1/2 years and 640 dives. I dive a Geo2 as a backup along with an SPG. The Geo2 is very similar to the Atom 3.1 but not AI. Mine has performed flawlessly, almost as long as the VT3.

Hi scubadada - yep I am interested in a computer with wireless AI. I actually didn't know that the VT4.1 was discontinued as I had seen it for sale on some websites. But I am leaning away from that model now anyway, and am pretty set on the atom 3.1. I was also looking at the geo2 for a non-wireless AI option, but now I have decided that AI is something that will come in handy for me and I would like to have that functionality. Thanks for the info!

My first computer after I got certified was an Atom 2.0... basically the same thing as the 3.1 but with a more confusing menu structure and different case design. I liked that I could also use it as a watch when I was on vacation and could leave my more expensive watch at home without worrying about salt water destroying it. I used it for 4 years and had 1 issue where it leaked and died in the middle of a night dive. Oceanic fixed it under warranty and sent me a hat for my troubles. I think its a great little computer, but I always wanted a bigger screen on a puck style computer that I could put in a bungee mount. Messing around with the watch strap on an Atom while putting your dive gear on gets annoying after a while.

I saw a new VT4.1 w/o transmitter on sale the other day (great prices since they are discontinued), so I picked that up along with a DSS bungee mount ($20). I can keep my atom as a backup and just strap it to my BCD, while I use the VT4.1 as my "main" computer. The algorithms are the same so it works out well.

The difference between the two is the size. The VT4.1 would NOT be used as a wrist watch. It is much too big. The Atom on the other hand, is wristwatch sized, but the screen is tiny, and the strap is annoying. It was never a deal breaker since everything looks bigger underwater and all the info you need is on the screen. If I had to choose between the two, as my only computer I would have a tough time deciding. The atom is a great vacation wrist watch, but I really want a bungee mounted computer that is easier to put on and take off. At this point I'd probably go with the VT4.1 and just wear my regular watch while on vacation. There is no other advantage the atom has other than it being a good wristwatch. If you're looking for a smaller, lower profile dive computer, then than the atom is great. The VT4.1 is kinda chunky.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom