Oceanic Atom 3.1 or OCi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

download cable is irrelevant on the Nitek Q because the software doesn't work.... It also has some issues with the refresh rate if the screen is moving. It's quite obnoxious

Decisions, decisions, maybe that's why so many folks come SB and ask for help in choosing a computer. It must be one of the most common gear questions.

Agreed. We just posted this basic article from our recent blog to try and help HERE.

download cable is irrelevant on the Nitek Q because the software doesn't work.... It also has some issues with the refresh rate if the screen is moving. It's quite obnoxious

I have no personal experience but have a friend/employee at DGE who is perfectly happy with the computer. Maybe you have personal experience?

i do. It's not a bad computer, at that price I'd recommend it over the DG03, but the desktop software is complete crap. The screen shake is also pretty irritating, but that's ok

neither. Too expensive. If you want a watch with AI, spend up for the H3 from Seabear, it should be released with an AI transmitter this week after DEMA.

How's the functionality of the H3 compared to the Petrel? Putting aside the OLED, rechargeable battery, AI, Is the H3 function wise better than a Suunto D6i?

over the Petrel the H3 offers nothing significant other than form factor and AI. In exchange it offers a better UI, better buttons with the piezo's on the side, user changeable battery that is better than having to recharge, and better CS if you need it.

H3 vs. Suunto is no comparison, H3 all the way.

I have an Atom 3.0 with the transmitter. And I have a Petrel 2.

For recreational diving, I'd go with the Atom over the Petrel all day long. The Petrel is just annoyingly brick-like on my arm. It makes it harder to get my harness on and off. It bangs and catches on things way more than my Atom. I have been carrying them both on Recreational dives and using my Atom as primary with Petrel as backup. I'm just about at the point of stopping carrying the Petrel for Rec dives. It contributes nothing positive to my dive experience (unless I eventually, at some point, have a failure from the Atom during a dive), and it adds annoyance. I'm getting older and I wear reading glasses on the surface. I have gauge reader lenses in my mask and I can read the Atom display just fine in all conditions I've experienced so far (which includes night dives and 80 foot dives in very low viz). For the tech training i'm taking now, I also use both computers, but use the Petrel as primary and Atom as backup.

I think the OCi only adds an electronic compass, compared to what the Atom 3 has, right? Or is there something else?

I wouldn't pay any extra for that, so I'd go with the Atom and buy a Tech compass from Dive Gear Express for $40. I suspect it will work better than the electronic compass in the OCi anyway. People seem to generally think that the compass in the Petrel 2 is pretty good, as e-compasses go. I've used mine and I definitely will go with my dedicated physical compass in the future if it's anything more than simple training exercises.

I bought my Petrel 2 months ago (roughly) and I really considered the H3. I decided to stay away because of the uncertainty about future support, uncertainty (at the time) about the cost of getting the battery replaced every so often, the uncertainty about whether they are actually going to start shipping an AI transmitter and what it will cost, and the fact that I'd still want a second computer to have as a backup, so I'd be keeping my Atom with AI anyway. Now that SeaBear is being acquired by Johnson, most of the questions are just as, well, questionable in my mind. All that compared to the extremely solid track record of the Petrel for ongoing support and customer service and the reliability of the unit itself. For a computer for deco dives, I'd still buy the Petrel all over again. But, for recreational diving, I prefer the Atom. Which also happens to work perfectly well as a backup/bottom timer for tech diving, so I feel like I wasted no money by buying it. I use it for every dive I do and there is nothing on the market I would want to replace it with.

Caveat: I've been diving for 1 year and have 60-something dives. So, take my opinions for what you think they're worth.

Well said. Rec mode or not, a Petrel for Rec diving is overkill.

the compass in the petrel is good enough for survey work btw, as is the H3. Petrel's only two disadvantages are the size, which is necessary because it is first and foremost a rebreather computer and needs space for fischer connectors/cable glands, and the lack of AI because the primary market is rebreather divers, and they don't want/need it and certainly won't pay for it. One of the things many people fail to remember is that Shearwater Research is first and foremost a rebreather company, the fact that they made a standalone version of their computers was for the OC technical divers, and because of the recent surge in demand because they are the best option on the market as an overall computer, they were nice enough to come out with a recreational mode as a software upgrade to make it more accessible to recreational divers. Their design parameters are based on technical rebreather divers first and they won't sacrifice anything for that in order to appease the recreation crowd. Because of that, it is highly unlikely you will ever see a watch come from them because it can't be used as a rebreather monitor, they have said there are no plans to implement AI, and they can't make the form factor any smaller due to the Piezo buttons, and space for cable glands, all of which are paramount for rebreather divers. They can keep their costs low due to having basically one design for everything from a standalone computer up thru a controller for a rebreather.

If those two things are causing you issues, buy a H3. Other than that, buy the cheapest computer you can, I.e. Hollis DG03, used Nitek Duo, Nitek Q, or Geo 2.0 depending on your personal preferences.

@tbone1004 has the AI for the H3 officially been announced and confirmed at DEMA. I have been waiting to hear about it because as of recently it seemed as if it might not become reality. Please give us more information. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom