Oceanic/Aqualung transmitter flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jens Bölte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I had weird SAC readings today from one of my two Oceanic/Shearwater transmitter (no Swift yet), going from 0 to 5.2. Back home I checked the transmitter again and pressure was 20 bar higher than that of the second transmitter. I opened the battery case and found some drops of water in the battery case. I hope that I opened the battery case early enough to prevent corrosion.

Does anyone know the size of the o-ring?

Best wishes Jens

Battery case o-ring is -016. But I doubt that will completely solve your problem as it seems that the pressure was reading incorrectly.

The transmitter reports sensible pressure readings now that the battery case is dry and I installed a new battery. Next week, I have a chance to pressure-check the transmitter and see whether it is leakproof.

What does -016 mean? I always thought that an o-ring specification consist of a specification for the diameter, the thickness, and the shore hardness (?).

Best wishes Jens

The transmitter reports sensible pressure readings now that the battery case is dry and I installed a new battery. Next week, I have a chance to pressure-check the transmitter and see whether it is leakproof.
Interesting, and that's good news. I guess a low battery could give some strange readings, but I would have expected that you would have seen a battery level warning at some point.
What does -016 mean? I always thought that an o-ring specification consist of a specification for the diameter, the thickness, and the shore hardness (?).
-016 is short for AS568-016. Durometer is 70 for this application. You should be able to find the right o-ring using the AS568 number.

Hello,

I had the opportunity to check the pressure the transmitter reports with the pressure reported by a test bench over the range of 200 bar down to 20 bar. The transmitter worked over the whole testing range. Its pressure test (leak test) went smoothly.

Fortune favours fools :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom