Ocean Rover in Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harry Kreigh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going on the Ocean Rover next July in Sulawesi. I'd like to hear from anyone who was on it there this year. I've been on it in Thailand, so I know about the facilities, crew, etc. - all of which are outstanding. Just wondering about the liveaboard diving experience around Manado.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Harry

This coming season will be very interesting in Manado. Beside the usual land base operators in Lembeh ie KBR etc, there will be Ocean Rover, Panunee and Aqua One liveaboards there as well. I plan on going there myself on the Panunee. Most sites are not very far and as far as I know, the boats will be docked at the Pier next to KBR most nights anyhow. According to some of my friends who had been with the Panunee in Lembeh, the main advantage for Panunee over the local operators seemed to be that they are a lot more liberal about number of dives. I believe KBR now has a 45 or 50 minutes limit per dive.
Panunee often will have both Thai as well as local Lembeh diveguides. Aqua One has Ali and Nusch (both from Lembeh originally anyhow). I don't know about Ocean Rover whether they will also have local diveguides or use their own diveguides from the Andaman.
I don't know if Ocean Rover will cover both Lembeh and Bunaken side. Panunee usually just stay on Lembeh side. Around Lembeh, expect to do a lot of muck diving for some of the best macro variety you will find anywhere in the world. Also some chances to see flamboyant cuttlefish, blue ring octopus and mimic octopus as well.
The bottom is mostly black volcanic sand and not much else.

bunakne side has whitesand, some nice reefscene along the line of the Similans, I was told. I was trying to go to Lembeh these past 2 years but had to cancel due to scheduling but hopefully next year will finally be the year.

Not really sure why you would go on a liveaboard if you only want to dive Lembeh... A liveaboard is great to dive multiple areas or to get to more out of the way places But in Lembeh the dive resorts are 5 to 20 minutes away from the sites. And I know at least one operator who limits the dives to 90 minutes which is more than enough for most of us (and arranges for one guide per buddy team) !

The big advantage is that you have unlimited diving and that isn't limited to the house reef.

I would never dive LS another way.

I beleive that the Panunee and A1 will stay in the Straights and OR will be based in Bunaken.

That one was from Kung of A1 , will try to confirm with him next week.

The Hamburger:
PS

I prefer to find and photograph the critters myself. Its much more rewarding than having a guide hand it to you on a plate.

Interesting... I agree that finding a critter yourself is very rewarding, but personally I enjoy a more "intense" dive... Having a guide does not prevent you from finding critters yourself and I see things I have missed otherwise (honestly I would never have found the mimic otctopus or a rhinopia myself)

The Hamburger:
PS

I prefer to find and photograph the critters myself. Its much more rewarding than having a guide hand it to you on a plate.
I thoroughly agree. With cameras the whole ethos of diving in a group, taking turns to take pics of the same thing is pretty boring and unimaginative. Much better to go on an adventure and "hunt" your prey, coming back with a nice trophy..

None diving in our place really means none limit. At any dive site, any time of day. No time limits and never more than two guests with one guide.
You can charter your own boat during your stay here. You would be diving as often as you want and where ever you want. You can take your lunch, or as you like, even breakfast or diner with you on the boat.
Price example for one person, travelling alone, included transfers, bungalow, all meals, tea, coffee, softdrinks, non limit diving, guide, boat. 11 nights, 10 days diving: Euro Euro 1292,-
Price for two persons, both diving: Euro 2270,- (Euro 1135,- per person).
http://www.diving-on-sulawesi.com
I hope this message is not considered to be spam. I thought just there is so much not complete information. Rob Sinke

whitehead:
I thoroughly agree. With cameras the whole ethos of diving in a group, taking turns to take pics of the same thing is pretty boring and unimaginative. Much better to go on an adventure and "hunt" your prey, coming back with a nice trophy..

I take then that next time we go diving, I can hog Ali or other dive guides as much as I want and when a diveguide find me some goodies, I can just keep on shooting and don't have to worry about you or Burger waiting your turns then since both of you rather go and find your own stuffs :D

Back
Top Bottom