feedback/tips on Sulawesi itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great to hear you had a nice time! Were you happy with your accomodations? And at Bangka, did you dive at the west side, east side or both sides of the island?
It's funny how conflicting the experiences are at Bunaken, from great to boring. We intentionally have not visited places like Komodo or Raja Ampat yet, so to not get spoiled immediately and leave some for later, and we haven't dived walls yet, so I expect we will be quite happy with the experience at Bunaken 🙏
In Manado and Bangka we were at the Murex resorts. Our dive sites at Bangka were pretty close to there, so was really the south of Bangka, not sure if we ended up more east or west. I think it all comes down to individual preferences. I'm a big fan of asking people why they liked an area. If you like turtles, you will love Bunaken. I like wall dives because it is easy to avoid people by going slightly shallower or slightly deeper and you'll always be able to see something. My husband has historically found them boring because he isn't sure what to look at, so often feels like he doesn't see anything.

We intentionally have not visited places like Komodo or Raja Ampat yet, so to not get spoiled immediately and leave some for later, and we haven't dived walls yet, so I expect we will be quite happy with the experience at Bunaken
I think that's a good idea. Maybe not so much because of the "getting spoiled" factor. But because by learning what to look for (pygmy seahorses, orang-utan crabs, nudis, etc.) and generally the Indonesian way to diving, you will enjoy Raja Ampat much more. Personally, I've enjoyed my ten diving days at Bunaken quite a bit and didn't feel bored at all by the end. Note though that it was the first time that I dove at walls, so it was a special experience for me. Conditions were surprisingly variable from no to mild to strong currents. The only let-down was the trash from Manado that others have already mentioned. It was the first and last time that I've seen a trash tornado in the ocean.

Check out Nomad Divers on Bangka. A very small resort owned and operated by a Dutch guy and his Belgian wife.
I second the recommendation for Nomad Divers. I spent 2 weeks with them in April/May this year. I'm sure Coral Eye is nice if you want to spend twice as much. Great people who know how to take care of their guests.

No air conditioning which it turns out I did not need. I slept very comfortably with a fan on till 10:30 pm when the generator turns off. Even later in the morning I might pull a blanket over me. House reef is very nice. During the mornings one is out diving so heat is not a problem. In the afternoon in the shade I was very comfortable.

Regardless of where you stay on Bangka island when you get to pick the Dive site pick Sahaung. It is an incredibly fishy wall with a finish over a wonderful coral garden.

In the last few days of my stay we would at my request go to Sahaung for first dive then go to a shallower coral reef dive for the second dive.

After our guide Otni who is excellent worked hard to find me some pygmy seahorses I had to tell him no more. My old eyes even with a magnifying glass can't really appreciate them. I told him if something is smaller than a nudibranch I don't care about it.

The seahorses in Cozumel are 4-5 inches long, those I can see.

We did do some sand/muck diving on Bangka and I did learn how to find nudibranchs which was pretty fun but not my favorite type of diving.

Bunaken - will be there in 10 days' time. Was either fascinated or alarmed that anyone could find the wall boring but "not knowing what to look for" was fair comment. So much is around you that you go fish-blind. A lot is down to the quality of the guiding - tell the guide that you want them to point out things. If you don't know to look for orangutan crabs or long-nosed hawkfish then you aren't going to see them. But how anyone can find the sea snakes hunting in the crevices boring is beyond me.

By the way, sperm whales have been seen in Manado Bay in the last few weeks. We stay mainland-side and the crossing has yielded all sorts of dolphins and whales. Also - don't forget to look up in Lembeh, whale sharks have been known to go through the straits. Personally I saw the biggest puffer fish. Abut the size of a Mini - horrendous, ugly, and it wasn't even puffed up. I wish I hadn't looked up.

Bunaken - will be there in 10 days' time. Was either fascinated or alarmed that anyone could find the wall boring but "not knowing what to look for" was fair comment. So much is around you that you go fish-blind. A lot is down to the quality of the guiding - tell the guide that you want them to point out things. If you don't know to look for orangutan crabs or long-nosed hawkfish then you aren't going to see them. But how anyone can find the sea snakes hunting in the crevices boring is beyond me.

By the way, sperm whales have been seen in Manado Bay in the last few weeks. We stay mainland-side and the crossing has yielded all sorts of dolphins and whales. Also - don't forget to look up in Lembeh, whale sharks have been known to go through the straits. Personally I saw the biggest puffer fish. Abut the size of a Mini - horrendous, ugly, and it wasn't even puffed up. I wish I hadn't looked up.
Sperm whales? For sure? Or pilot whales? I've often seen pilot whales around.

Yessss! Sperm whales. I have seen the pictures - in the last two weeks. Definitely sperm whales. More than one, mother and baby too. They have been seen before over the years. Pilot whales - yes we have seen them, also melon-headed whales which look like dolphins but with a round (melon-shaped) head.

Back
Top Bottom