feedback/tips on Sulawesi itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roberto83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Would love to get some pointers on our upcoming trip next june. It's our first time to Sulawesi, read a lot about it but some insight from people who already went would be lovely. We are both AOW with around 100 dives under our belts. We know that our time at Lembeh is relatively short in comparison to Bunaken and Bangka, but macro is not our most favorite (yet...:), so far our interest lies most on groups of fish, nice corals and where possible some bigger stuff. Does this itinerary makes sense, did we choose the right places to stay, and/or we missing something important?

Thanks in advance!

LombokVisiting friends
LombokVisiting friends
LombokVisiting friends
Lombok - Manado - BunakenHappy Gecko Dive Resort
BunakenHappy Gecko Dive Resort
Bunaken – Tapahan Telu Waterfall - Padies Kimuwu sunsetTomohon
Kali Waterfall - Gunung Lokon - WoloanTomohon
Woloan (Woloan ricefields/Penny ricefields / Lep'oh Ni Anette)Tomohon
Woloan - Air Terjun Tumimperas – Lake Linow - Toulangkow HillsTomohon
Lake Linow - Mount Mahawu sunrise trekking + Puncak Melby'LsTomohon
Lake Tondano circle (Simaru Lour Hills)Tomohon
Lake Tondano – Lembeh mangrove cruise – LembehK2 Lembeh Dive Resort
LembehK2 Lembeh Dive Resort
Lembeh - Tangkoko National ParkTangkoko Ranger Homestay
Tangkoko National Park – BangkaCoral Eye Boutique Resort and Marine Outpost
BangkaCoral Eye Boutique Resort and Marine Outpost
Bangka - Manado
Manado - Amsterdam

Check out Nomad Divers on Bangka. A very small resort owned and operated by a Dutch guy and his Belgian wife.
On my first trip to N Sulawesi I visited Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bangka. I was blown away by Bangka. Phenomenal corals and fish in great numbers and diversity. I wouldn't go back to either Bunaken or Lembeh again.

Check out Nomad Divers on Bangka. A very small resort owned and operated by a Dutch guy and his Belgian wife.
On my first trip to N Sulawesi I visited Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bangka. I was blown away by Bangka. Phenomenal corals and fish in great numbers and diversity. I wouldn't go back to either Bunaken or Lembeh again.

Thanks for your reply! Will check on Nomad Divers 👍
Read a lot of positive stories about Bangka, that's why we left it for the last part and reserved most days for it, but curious to see Bunaken and Lembeh also (we love turtles and hope to catch the macro-fever a bit 😄)

Only been to Bunaken once and it was 7 years ago. In fact it was my very first diving holidays. Stayed with Happy Gecko. Accommodation was pretty basic but more than enough for me. Back then it was actually considered one of the best options on the island. Diving equipment (boat, regs etc) was also pretty basic but top of what you could get around. The dive guide was super - very experienced, knew the sites, spoke good English. Unfortunately I don't remember his name. The owners (Dutch wife, Indo husband and a cute little boy) were always on site dealing with everything we needed.

Nowadays, I read that next door there is a big 5star resort ( Trip Report - Bunaken Oasis and Spa: Oct/Nov 2023 ), so definitely there are "better" places around, but of course it is a matter of taste/needs/budget.

If you expectations are not too high, I think you will have great time in Gecko.

For the rest of the trip I just envy you. All the best.

Bunaken is a lot of walls. Lots of turtles. I don't remember the mass of fish like Bangka. Lembeh is swimming from tiny critter to tiny critter on a sand bottom. Lots of photographers with big cameras hogging the view. Bangka has beautiful coral gardens, pinnacles, and streams of yellow snapper hundreds of feet long. Not much in the way of pelagics. If you're lucky Dugongs can be found.

I just returned from 10 days of diving in Lembeh, Bangka, and Bunaken.

While I won’t turn down a muck dive if it’s what is there, it’s still not really my thing. I loved the dives in Bangka and Bunaken. Bangka has lots of interesting geology that makes for fun currents and interesting creatures. My favorite dive was one we did while going between Lembeh and Bangka (Batu Petang if I recall correctly).

Bunaken was a lot of fun wall dives with mild to moderate current. Lots of turtles, lots of schooling fish, don’t forget to spend time in the shallows on top of the wall.

I just returned from 10 days of diving in Lembeh, Bangka, and Bunaken.

While I won’t turn down a muck dive if it’s what is there, it’s still not really my thing. I loved the dives in Bangka and Bunaken. Bangka has lots of interesting geology that makes for fun currents and interesting creatures. My favorite dive was one we did while going between Lembeh and Bangka (Batu Petang if I recall correctly).

Bunaken was a lot of fun wall dives with mild to moderate current. Lots of turtles, lots of schooling fish, don’t forget to spend time in the shallows on top of the wall.

Great to hear you had a nice time! Were you happy with your accomodations? And at Bangka, did you dive at the west side, east side or both sides of the island?
It's funny how conflicting the experiences are at Bunaken, from great to boring. We intentionally have not visited places like Komodo or Raja Ampat yet, so to not get spoiled immediately and leave some for later, and we haven't dived walls yet, so I expect we will be quite happy with the experience at Bunaken 🙏

Sounds like an awesome adventure!

I can't speak to your resort choices but I do love Bangka diving.

I'm a macro fan and have done Lembeh four times (Lembeh Resort x3, NAD x1), also visited Bunaken x3 and Bangka x2.

No experience with any of the resorts you have chosen, but the whole of N. Sulawesi is great diving whether it is muck or coral walls.

It's funny how conflicting the experiences are at Bunaken, from great to boring. We intentionally have not visited places like Komodo or Raja Ampat yet, so to not get spoiled immediately and leave some for later, and we haven't dived walls yet, so I expect we will be quite happy with the experience at Bunaken 🙏
Bunaken was NOT boring to us but Lembeh certainly was.
We all have different requirement.
You will not be disappointed with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom