Ocean Rover in Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harry Kreigh:
I'm going on the Ocean Rover next July in Sulawesi. I'd like to hear from anyone who was on it there this year. I've been on it in Thailand, so I know about the facilities, crew, etc. - all of which are outstanding. Just wondering about the liveaboard diving experience around Manado.
Harry
Bunaken/Sangihe/Talaud is mostly wall and coral reef diving. The coral variation is better than Similan and some sites are fishier. What you will find like Similans and pretty much the rest of the Andaman is the lack of sharks. You do get napoleon wrasse and cetaceans like sperm and orca do roam the area for that chance encounter. The area around Bangka is very nice for soft and hard corals. There is an underwater volcano up in the sangihe talaud area but nothing interesting since it's covered in sulphur deposits... nothing like Gunung Api or Manuk in the Banda sea
Lembeh straits is pretty much muck with a few sites like the wreck and angel's windows where there are some coral areas. I'm not sure what mark is doing about guides for the muck but I doubt the thai guides will be as adept as the local trained indonesian guides at critter finding. I hope the thai guides (if they are using them) will not be as "hands on" on the critters as many of the local guides. Lembeh for years has been a popular place for photographers and a very large of amount of manipulation for photo ops is allowed. I've been going for nearly 10 years now and I tell you there are so many creatures which hide so well that only the most experienced muck divers and the local guides from the various resorts (esp Lembeh and KBR) know their signatures. Tides play a big role in how you dive a few of the sites since currents can play havoc on marquee places like Jahir, Hairball and Police Pier.
As for the time of year, I've found Feb-Aug to be the least productive in terms of critters. Still there's plenty to see so you won't be disappointed.

Indah:
... transfers, bungalow, all meals, tea, coffee, softdrinks, non limit diving, guide, boat. 11 nights, 10 days diving. Price for two persons, both diving: Euro 2270,- (Euro 1135,- per person). http://www.diving-on-sulawesi.com
Just checked your website - on http://www.diving-on-sulawesi.com/gb/kosten10.php it says: All-In package 11 nights, 10 days diving, transfers, bungalow, all meals, snacks, softdrinks, no limit diving, guide, boat: EUR 985,- per person (based on two per bungalow) ???

gabyne:
Just checked your website - on http://www.diving-on-sulawesi.com/gb/kosten10.php it says: All-In package 11 nights, 10 days diving, transfers, bungalow, all meals, snacks, softdrinks, no limit diving, guide, boat: EUR 985,- per person (based on two per bungalow) ???

Hello,
that price is correst indeed. But then you will share the boat with other guests. But the price I mentioned is if you want to have a boat just for yourself and your buddy. In that way you can dive as much, whereever and at any time you want. If you stay alone in a bungalow and you want to use the boat without an other diver you would pay Euro 1292, -. Our boats have a toilet, 220 volt electricity, fresh water and hot and cold drinks.
Thanks and best regards, Rob Sinke

scubashooter:
Harry
Bunaken/Sangihe/Talaud is mostly wall and coral reef diving. The coral variation is better than Similan and some sites are fishier. What you will find like Similans and pretty much the rest of the Andaman is the lack of sharks. You do get napoleon wrasse and cetaceans like sperm and orca do roam the area for that chance encounter. The area around Bangka is very nice for soft and hard corals. There is an underwater volcano up in the sangihe talaud area but nothing interesting since it's covered in sulphur deposits... nothing like Gunung Api or Manuk in the Banda sea
Lembeh straits is pretty much muck with a few sites like the wreck and angel's windows where there are some coral areas. I'm not sure what mark is doing about guides for the muck but I doubt the thai guides will be as adept as the local trained indonesian guides at critter finding. I hope the thai guides (if they are using them) will not be as "hands on" on the critters as many of the local guides. Lembeh for years has been a popular place for photographers and a very large of amount of manipulation for photo ops is allowed. I've been going for nearly 10 years now and I tell you there are so many creatures which hide so well that only the most experienced muck divers and the local guides from the various resorts (esp Lembeh and KBR) know their signatures. Tides play a big role in how you dive a few of the sites since currents can play havoc on marquee places like Jahir, Hairball and Police Pier.
As for the time of year, I've found Feb-Aug to be the least productive in terms of critters. Still there's plenty to see so you won't be disappointed.

Scubashooter,

Thanks for the information on diving around Manado. I was hoping to hear from someone who has been on an Ocean Rover trip there, but so far no luck. I've heard good things about the diving and have been to Indonesia before (Komodo), so I am not worried about being disappointed. I just hope Mark is on the trip. I think he is an exceptional person and can spot critters with the best of them.

Harry
P.S. Some of these replies wander far off-topic. I was wondering if anyone would actually answer my question!

Harry
I'm not going to doubt Mark's ability or inability to spot things. I just know that muck diving in lembeh is nothing like anything in the andaman sea. I hope they do it well on the Rover for all concerned. Have fun.

I just returned from a week at KBR and a week on the Ocean Rover - fantastic trip.

I don't see the need to dive Lembeh Straits from a liveaboard like (above) was stated, we reached Angel's Window (furthest dive site) quickly.

The facts. I just got off the Ocean Rover yesterday. As usual a great boat with a great crew.

1. The boat does a varied itinerary that takes in Lembeh, Bangka, area north of Bangka, Bunaken, and the excellent "muck" site at Poopo.

2. As per #1 the boat does not stay in Lembeh as does the Paunee.

3. KBR now has a 60 minute limit on dives altough that extends a bit at time subject to the nature of the people aboard a given boat. This was true in March when I was last at KBR.

4. Ocean Rover has local Indonesian guide, Nelson, who is very good - as well as Jerome and Kaye -Jerome is Swiss and Kaye is Thai. They are boat very good and Jerome is the Cruise Director for the last three trips this season in Northern Sulawesi.

5. I dive N. Sulawesi two to three times each year for a month at a time. I consider the Ocean Rover a good choice for a varied itinerary in the area. I like long dives and they do not have any restrictions on time except for night dives - 60 to 70 minutes. For example, on my last day - last dive on OR I spent 2 hours at the Police Pier. While I like KBR I do not like the time limits.

6. KBR has now installed a wireless network. Nice touch. They are still deciding on how much they will charge for usage.

7. I observed large group of Japanese divers on Paunee diving with a local guide at Nudi Falls. Swimming off the reef and against the current. Make of that what you will.

DontLieToMe:
The facts. I just got off the Ocean Rover yesterday. As usual a great boat with a great crew.

1. The boat does a varied itinerary that takes in Lembeh, Bangka, area north of Bangka, Bunaken, and the excellent "muck" site at Poopo.

2. As per #1 the boat does not stay in Lembeh as does the Paunee.

3. KBR now has a 60 minute limit on dives altough that extends a bit at time subject to the nature of the people aboard a given boat. This was true in March when I was last at KBR.

4. Ocean Rover has local Indonesian guide, Nelson, who is very good - as well as Jerome and Kaye -Jerome is Swiss and Kaye is Thai. They are boat very good and Jerome is the Cruise Director for the last three trips this season in Northern Sulawesi.

5. I dive N. Sulawesi two to three times each year for a month at a time. I consider the Ocean Rover a good choice for a varied itinerary in the area. I like long dives and they do not have any restrictions on time except for night dives - 60 to 70 minutes. For example, on my last day - last dive on OR I spent 2 hours at the Police Pier. While I like KBR I do not like the time limits.

6. KBR has now installed a wireless network. Nice touch. They are still deciding on how much they will charge for usage.

7. I observed large group of Japanese divers on Paunee diving with a local guide at Nudi Falls. Swimming off the reef and against the current. Make of that what you will.

I was also at both KBR and on the Ocean Rover in June and agree with what you say.
Another difference was that KBR does not permit wearing gloves and OR permits it.

I don't see why KBR has this restriction, seems a bit too much considering the diving area.
KBR's muck diving meant that many times I was diving in an area that was not coral encrusted and as a photographer I needed to steady myself on the bottom be placing a finger or hand on the bottom. I sure would have liked to be able to have my glove when I did that.

KBR is making a big deal on their "no gloves" policy. Like you, I don't see this as the make or break in terms of preserving reefs or creatures. More important is keeping people from lying on the reefs, kicking things about with their fins, and the actions people take with their cameras.

DontLieToMe:
KBR is making a big deal on their "no gloves" policy. Like you, I don't see this as the make or break in terms of preserving reefs or creatures. More important is keeping people from lying on the reefs, kicking things about with their fins, and the actions people take with their cameras.

Totally agree - I don't think the issue is about wearing gloves but more about diving skills and attitude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom