Ocean Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bighiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Basically, I would just like to know what the recommendations are for a diving kayak. I'd like one that can take my gear (drysuit, weights, two tanks and all), plus the stuff for a decent lunch.

The simple ones I've seen look like they only take one tanks.

Not many kayaks can handle two tanks. Have you thought through how you are going to change tanks on the water?

My Hobie Revolution can handle doubles in the tank well and an AL80 or HP100 in the bow locker. With that said, I would return to shore to change tanks. Not worth the risk of dropping something even if clipped off and water intrusion. Yes it could be done and I have thought heavily about it.

I would recommend kayak at least 13'. This will give you the length needed to track straighter and the weight capacity to handle dive gear. No need for a short and wide or any kind of wide kayak. They may be more stable but they are much slower. Something like this would work well. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Kayak at REI.com

Jim Spears website about warm water kayaking, but still has plenty of good info.
kayak diving

The OK Scupper Pro TW can take two aluminum 80s. Number one tank is rigged out and lashed into the rear tank well. Number two tank is placed bare (or rigged) into the forward hatch. The Scupper has a huge forward hatch.

The Scupper Pro TW was out of production for a while but demand has brought it back to a limited degree, especially after some other company started making a clone OK decided to jump back into them. They are possibly the best dive kayak ever, fast, reasonably stable and can carry a lot of weight long distances and it is seaworthy. However, the seat is possibly narrow for large butted people.

http://store.kayakcentre.com/browse.cfm/4,591.html

I have seen people use the gynormous two person yaks, paddle from the middle with a tank rigged on both bow and stern.

Hmmm, looks like OK has dropped the Scupper again, oh well, y'all missed out, :(

N

I have a Scupper Pro TW and it is a very nice kayak (Well mine is beat to hell). Narrow and fast, but some people are not comfortable with how narrow it is at "first". After kayaking for a little while it works fine. Might be worth finding one and shipping at that price in the link above. FWIW I have never rolled either of my kayaks except on purpose.

Any more opinions out there with regard to Ocean kayaks which can accommodate minimalistic scuba gear? Good quality, tough, relatively fast and not too heavy are the goals...

I have a scramble xt seems to be stable and can carry 350 lbs. I leash and tie everything. Easy to put on roof by myself. Can't go wrong with it.

EDIT: OOOPS------this was a post to Mitchell's #7 post..............

same here, lay it down(lol tied up of course) in the back of my truck & good to go......Here's mine from 2 days ago ready to leave out

20100827003.jpg

and a shot from in the water.....

20100827021.jpg

Have a look on the Net at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler sit-on-top kayaks. Great for both fishing and diving from, and plenty of inside/outside storage. I just bought one for off shore dives and fishing from. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom