Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from a week on Oahu, and lucked out to be able to dive the North Shore. We dove with Deep Ecology (they do dive all around the island) They were awesome. Tyler gave us really great tour. As far as lodging, since I am military, I stayed in military facilities.

Tyler is THE MAN! I would say that early April can be hit or miss for North Shore though...... might make sense to rent a car while you are here to avoid feeling "stuck" in one place. Also, VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner could be a good option instead of playing the hotel game...... can save some coin on meals by having your own kitchen!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mahalo,

G

For the most part, the North Shore is off-limits except for the summer months. But Mother Nature likes to throw the odd curve-ball now and then - we were there just two weeks ago, and it was pretty darn flat. Go figure. For the most part, though, April is a bit iffy for the North Shore.

The leeward side of the island should have pretty reliably good conditions. The south side should also be decent, but surface conditions can be pretty snotty if the kona (southerly) winds are blowing. Great diving, but crummy boating to and from the dive site. Ultimately, you have to wait until you're here and read the forecast a day or two before so you know what to expect.

Your choice of lodgings aren't necessarily contingent on where you're diving, especially if you rent a car, which I highly recommend. That way, you can meet your dive operator/guide at the boat harbor, and save yourself a lot of time in traffic (you WILL experience traffic if your operator has to come and pick you up, especially if there are other drop-offs and pick-ups in places like Waikiki). Stay at a hotel or hostel in Waikiki, if you like bustle. Or find a bed-and-breakfast in Kailua if you prefer a smaller-town feel. The North Shore is lovely and there are good B&B's there, but if you're not diving there, it will be a real hike when it comes to exploring Oahu (not to mention diving on the south side or the leeward side of the island).

I've been living here since October and I'm disappointed with the lack of diving options, especially compared to SoCal where I moved from. Shark's Cove on the North Shore is one option for shore diving, so is Electric Beach at Kahe Point.
As for shops I can say that Aaron's Dive Shop out of Kailua is ok. They work with a boat that runs out of Hawaii Kai. The boat is dinky but it works. The Corsair wreck there is worth checking out, and you can see lots of nudis and flatworms at Angler's Reef. You can set everything up by phone and just meet them at the boat launch or even have them pick you up in their van. But the reef is nothing special there, Kona is much nicer. BTW I wouldn't bother diving the LST. Aaron's works with another boat out of the Waianae area and there's a wreck out there but I have not seen it yet.
As an alternative you may want to try contacting the scuba locker on base at MCBH Kaneohe Bay. They have boat dives and also do shore dives every Saturday. Maybe they'd let you tag along.

I've been living here since October and I'm disappointed with the lack of diving options, especially compared to SoCal where I moved from. Shark's Cove on the North Shore is one option for shore diving, so is Electric Beach at Kahe Point.
As for shops I can say that Aaron's Dive Shop out of Kailua is ok. They work with a boat that runs out of Hawaii Kai. The boat is dinky but it works. The Corsair wreck there is worth checking out, and you can see lots of nudis and flatworms at Angler's Reef. You can set everything up by phone and just meet them at the boat launch or even have them pick you up in their van. But the reef is nothing special there, Kona is much nicer. BTW I wouldn't bother diving the LST. Aaron's works with another boat out of the Waianae area and there's a wreck out there but I have not seen it yet.
As an alternative you may want to try contacting the scuba locker on base at MCBH Kaneohe Bay. They have boat dives and also do shore dives every Saturday. Maybe they'd let you tag along.

Gunrock - appreciating the diving on Oahu takes some time, but once you find your groove, you'll be pretty pleased with life! There is some shore diving on the south side (Blowhole, Lanai Lookout, China Walls), but it's best to hook up with a dive shop or an independent guide for the first time or two. That's because those sites are very weather-specific, and the entry and exit points aren't always glaringly obvious. You'll like them a lot.

There are some lovely sites off the leeward side of the island. The wreck you referred to is that of the Mahi, and it's very cool - if you're very fortunate, you'll encounter a school of over 20 eagle rays that regularly hang out there. There's also the wreck of an aircraft, army tanks, and lots of amazing reefs and lava tubes. I hope you fall in love with the diving here as much as I have.

Thanks Vinegar... uh Biscuit. I know I have a lot to explore but I'm just saying it's not accessible as back home. Any weekday in San Diego I could just swing by the house after work, grab my gear and be at a dive site in a few minutes but I think you'll understand when I say that is not an option living in Kaneohe. I was shocked when I went to Aaron's and they said I'd be driving 20-40 minutes to do any kind of diving at all, and that's assuming no traffic. So I am bummed that I am apparently going to be confined to weekend diving.

Aaron's isn't bad, Leeward coast diving is more heavily frequented by Ocean Concepts. You'll have to drive up to Waianae harbor (about 30-45 minutes from Waikiki) but the diving is consistent year round. They are nice people, they run really nice night dives.

Best dives are all shore dives, but you have to know the right places. 3 Tables, Sharks Cove, Firehouse, Hale'Iwa Trench are all well known easy access shore dives, but they're north shore, so if the waves are down go there.

@ 2095: Glad to hear you liked Deep Ecology!
@ Gabe: Ray keeps trying to get me to dive from a kayak, one of these days I'll have to.

To the OP: Your places to stay outside of Waikiki will be limited, but if you look online you may get a good deal somewhere outside the usual areas. As far as places to dive, we're mostly diving the West side and the South side at the moment, but we've had a couple of times where the conditions have worked out to dive North shore.

Where ever you choose to stay you should find good diving, although you may have to drive a bit to get to it.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom