Oahu - Waikiki Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

retired military equals Hale Koa hotel for probably the best deal you will find on island.

As far as dive ops, Gabe Scotti is still around and he does good things. Most of the bigger dive ops (Aarons, Dive Oahu, etc) have a waikiki pickup van.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks -- Which do you like? Are the bigger ops 'cattle boats'? What do you think of "Captain Bruce" 's operation?

Jax

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on Oahu diving.

Just was in Oahu last week, stayed at the Hale Koa (very nice hotel, great rates, great view and good food there. My husband and I went to the dinner/magic show....was very fun)

As for diving, I dove with Gabe from Kaimana divers (scottietheduck on SB). He was a ton a fun to dive with, really knew the dive sites and was just plain fun to hang out with. Check in for my dive was about 15 minutes from the Hale Koa. Kewala Basin Harbor (did I spell that right?) big boat with a couple other DM's and their divers. Easy on and off the boat. Dive sites were a short boat ride away.

Since I am a military spouse I did check out the dive op that the base recommends. Went out to K-Bay and checked out the dive shop there...I have to say while the shop has nice gear and lots of it, the lady that worked in the shop was not very friendly. Now I am not trying to bash this dive op, I am sure they do a fine job. I just know how I treat people when they come in to our dive shop on Kauai. When my husband and I left the shop I told him that I would never dive go back to that shop just based on the way I was treated. (felt like I was bothering the lady there)

Any way, Oahu diving was fun. Got to dive the Sea Tiger, which was cool. I can't wait to go back for another visit. I will dive with Gabe again for sure.

BTW Gabe hurry and plan a trip to Kauai so we can dive. Just had some whale sightings here!

Since I am a military spouse I did check out the dive op that the base recommends. Went out to K-Bay and checked out the dive shop there...I have to say while the shop has nice gear and lots of it, the lady that worked in the shop was not very friendly. Now I am not trying to bash this dive op, I am sure they do a fine job. I just know how I treat people when they come in to our dive shop on Kauai. When my husband and I left the shop I told him that I would never dive go back to that shop just based on the way I was treated. (felt like I was bothering the lady there)

Any way, Oahu diving was fun. Got to dive the Sea Tiger, which was cool. I can't wait to go back for another visit. I will dive with Gabe again for sure.

BTW Gabe hurry and plan a trip to Kauai so we can dive. Just had some whale sightings here!

Hey, thanks! I do hope you report the attitude of the dive op attendee . . . our Morale, Welfare, & Recreation is under a heavy budgeting pressure, and they need to know about :turd:ty attitudes. Go here to make your comments: http://ice.disa.mil/

My husband and I were thinking about touring Kauai . . . May I have recommendations there, too?!?!?

Thanks -- Which do you like? Are the bigger ops 'cattle boats'? What do you think of "Captain Bruce" 's operation?

Jax

I'm honestly no expert with local dive ops, prefering to shore dive instead. The few times I rode on a boat was with Ocean Concepts which I have recently begun having issues with one person in the shop at Schofield (not my idea of friendly & knowledgeable service) but I have always had good boat dives with them.

Not to partake of anybody else's pie, but I do shamelessly promote diving with other SBers when visiting because I know that's what I joined this board for and it has helped me tremendously for past and future excursions.

Peace,
Greg

Hey, thanks! I do hope you report the attitude of the dive op attendee . . . our Morale, Welfare, & Recreation is under a heavy budgeting pressure, and they need to know about :turd:ty attitudes. Go here to make your comments: ICE :: Main Page

My husband and I were thinking about touring Kauai . . . May I have recommendations there, too?!?!?

Kauai is a great place to visit. There is lots to do on our little island.

Diving during the winter months is mostly on the south side of the island. Koloa Landing is a great shore dive. Easy entry/exit, lots of aquatic life and during whale season a good chance you will hear the whales underwater!!!

If you come to Kauai I recommend staying on the south side (poipu area). If you stay on the north shore you are going to be spending a bunch of time in the car driving.

The Navy Base on Kauai has great rates for the beach cottages there. Check out GreatLifeHawaii: Aloha and Welcome for more info on the beach cottages.

PM if you would like more info.

Have a great trip to Hawaii, where ever you go!

aloha
-J

I'd also suggest staying in Poipu. When I was there, we stayed in Princeville (N side of the island), which is quite nice, but about an hour's drive from Poipu. Naturally Poipu's where most of the attractions are. Plus Princeville's about as far from Waimea Canyon as you can get (2 - 2.5 hours away).

Dove Koloa Landing in March through Fathom Five who're maybe 1.5 miles away from the dive site. My sister did a 2 tank intro to scuba class along with a couple others. I tagged along as well. Saw TONS of sea turtles and white mouthed morays. Got a nice video of a turtle 'fly by' of us.

As for snorkeling, if you're interested in a catamaran tour of the island and the Napali coast, we went on one through Captain Andy's and had a great time. At one point they anchored so people could go out snorkeling. They provide masks and flippers for those who don't have their own (I was the only one who had). We had also seen plenty of dolphins and had some humpbacks come right up to our boat.

If you want to get dirty, the Kipu Ranch ATV tour is a lot of fun. They filmed part of Jurassic Park, Mighty Joe Young, and the first Indiana Jones movie there.

Looks like we are going to stay in Wakiki so we can dive more . . . no lost days due to flying. I am so excited to dive Hawaii!

Back
Top Bottom