Oahu & Maui diving - experienced divers w/ limited time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went out with Living Ocean last year, did the YO-257, very nice. Can also recommend Severns (particularly knowledgeable and wonderful folks) and Extended Horizons on Maui. Lanai's Cathedrals were 2 of my best dives ever.
What sites do you recommend on Oahu for locals (we live on Kauai) who are moderately experiences (about 100 dives) and have seen all the common wildlife? We love turtles, but honestly can see turtles any day we want to. Thanks!

Dive Oahu and island divers are great too. The 2 wrecks YO and Sea Tiger are two of the more popular boat dive sites but there's a wrecked corsair from WWII that really has nothing else around it but cool to sit in the cockpit, watch out for the eel, and an upside down landing craft where sharks and octopus are frequent.

Thanks all. Do oes anyone know if any local shops rent out nitrox tanks? I'd like to do some shore dives on our own and maybe dive at hanauma bay. Hawaiian divers won let me rent out tanks and kaimana doesn't have nitrox.

Dive Oahu has nitrox, best shore dive in winter is electric beach on the west side. U fortunately north shore during the winter will be crazy waves or you could do sharks cove.

Aaron's in Kailua has nitrox. Island divers has nitrox as well. I've only had them fill my own tanks, though, not rented from them before. I have rented tanks from Dive Oahu before, though.

On Maui, Lahaina Divers in Lahaina rents Nitrox cylinders. For shore dives I recommend Tiny Bubbles Scuba in Ka'anapali. He will come pick you up at your resort/condo and take you where the conditions are best. South on the west side you should contact Maui Scuba Luv. They cover the coast from Kehi to Mekenna.

A good beach dive is Airport beach. The area around black rock is also a good shore dive, but you have to wade through the snorkelers.

There are lots of boat ops if you don't mind plopping down $140+\- Most go to Molokini which is a good first Maui dive that only takes the morning for two dives. Without an Advanced Scuba certification most of the operators will discourage you from the deeper dives that they consider advanced diving. It's a big liability because they don't know your experience and abilities. Have fun!

From Lahaina, do the hammerhead site, it's two tank shark dive, really great.
It's close to Molokai, so it's a little long cruise, more than an hour in rough sea, if you're seasick, take pills !

Back
Top Bottom