Oahu & Maui diving - experienced divers w/ limited time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amc11

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello. I'm going to Hawaii in early Feb and this is the first time that I've been there since I got certified a couple of years ago. I have about 100 dives in so I'm very comfortable diving and I'm not looking for a place that deals mainly with new divers. When I search online it looks like most dive shops are geared toward diver certifications. I'm looking for a couple of dive sites that are not to miss. We only have a couple of days in Oahu and a couple in Maui. Any recommendations for dive spots or dive shops? Also, are there any shore dives that you would recommend? Also, I love turtles and I know Hawaii is a great place for them, so spots that are highly dense with them would be great. Or places that we might hear some nearby whales, also a good thing!
Thanks!

When ever I goto Oahu I dive with Kaimana Divers. Ask for Gabe. They are a great dive shop. They hit a number of great shipwrecks off of Honolulu, usually followed by a shallow reef closer to shore. They often do a dive at Turtle Canyons, a shallow dive with a turtle cleaning station that often has 5-15 turtles waiting in line. You also see turtles sleeping on the deck of the Sea Tiger and YO-257 wrecks. Unfortunatly for shore dives my favorite spots on both Oahu and Maui are big winter surf spots, but in the summer Sharks Cove (Oahu) and Honolua Bay (Maui) are great shallow dives with tons of turtles.
Hope this helps.

More advanced operators on Maui are Ed Robinson's or Mike Severns in the Kihei area - if you're staying in south Maui ie. Kihei/Wailea. Advanced being relative although Ed's does offer a 3-tank Advanced Safari weekly. The Molokini Backwall is one advanced dive- often a live drop and drift. Down the wall you're likely to run into sharks - it's really vertical. Hard bottom is like 300'?

If you're staying in West Maui (Lahaina/Ka'anapali,Kapalua) I'd go out with Extended Horizons - the experience level may be mixed but they group/DM by level and choose multi-level sites - easy off Lana'i which they're likely to visit. Lahaina Divers also does their West Lanai Drift dives - I believe the minimum requirement is an Advanced Card or equivalent. I've been out there a couple times - fast drifts are pretty common. They also do a bluewater dive to Molokai looking for Hammerheads - probably the most advanced dive they do. It's better a certain time of year so ask them b4 booking. Their daily dives are going to be mixed-level groups often to Lana'i or the generic "Turtle Town" off the coast.

In West Maui the Carpathian used to be good for turtles - they sleep there also. One occasionally meets divers on descent. I think it's about 100' deep. I believe the only other boat option in Lahaina now is Hawaiian Rafting - IDK them at all except they have a big RIB - we saw it once off Lanai.

There's really no difficult shore dives off Maui. Any that are more difficult will be related to getting down to them and not getting trashed while getting in over the lava. I really can't even think of one - most are sandy beach entries. Maybe check here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui Most of the Maui beaches are shallow for a long way out - we dove Old Airport once on scoters and maybe 15mins. out it was 60' deep.

You kind of want to pick an operator based on where you're staying. It's about a 45min. drive between the two areas and the Kihei boats all try to leave by 6AM so they're back b4 the tradewinds pick up. Smaller boats so often a smaller load. Severns might go with 12? max. My buddy did the 3-tank Advanced with Ed Robinson's a few years ago with about 6 total pax.

If you ever go back Sheraton Caverns off Kauai is the turtle spot - huge green turtles live there. And one of the more advanced dives in Hawaii is Keyhole or Vertical Awareness off Ni'ihau - an all day trip and a rough crossing. You might see a critically endangered Monk Seal there - otherwise see them at the Waikiki Aquarium, small facility but interesting 2nd oldest in the country. They have the coolest tanks outside - lava rock with glass sides - open air - sit and watch the reef fish. Also Chambered Nautilus - the only place I've ever seen them.

Last edited:
On Oahu, I dived several days with Hawaiian Diving Adventures and was very happy with them.

I understand that some dive ops there can't supply Nitrox - or, couldn't when I was there 2 years ago. HDA had no problem getting me Nitrox every day.

Hello. I'm going to Hawaii in early Feb and this is the first time that I've been there since I got certified a couple of years ago. I have about 100 dives in so I'm very comfortable diving and I'm not looking for a place that deals mainly with new divers. When I search online it looks like most dive shops are geared toward diver certifications. I'm looking for a couple of dive sites that are not to miss. We only have a couple of days in Oahu and a couple in Maui. Any recommendations for dive spots or dive shops? Also, are there any shore dives that you would recommend? Also, I love turtles and I know Hawaii is a great place for them, so spots that are highly dense with them would be great. Or places that we might hear some nearby whales, also a good thing!
Thanks!
Just back a week ago from Oahu with my family, Definitely use Kaimana Divers they were great, Gabe will organize one of the crew to pick you up from where ever you are staying, my two sons and I did the Navy Tug off Peal Harbor it sits in 20m was 10 out of 10, also dived Mario World and the Sea Tiger..Next time I go back it will be straight to Gabe and Kaimana Divers

In Oahu, I would try to get to the Sea Tiger and YO-257/San Pedro. 2nd dives at Turtle Canyon and Kewalo Pipe are pretty good.

In Maui, I would try to get to Lanai, Molokini back wall

Oh, yeah, the Sea Tiger as a night dive was also really cool.

I'll second both recommendations for Kaimana and Hawaiian Diving Adventures. There were my two favorite operators during the time I lived there. HDA has a fast boat, so they tend to not take as long as other operators to get you to/from the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom