Oahu in January, any operator take people to see Hammerheads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalz1

Registered
Reaction score
I will be on Oahu for two weeks in January before heading to Kona for the Manta dive. Is there a place on the island and outfitter that has a dive site to see Hammerheads? Its a animal I'd like to cross of my list. I have read that one certain bay is said to be ugly with them and they are pretty docile but don't see any operators that advertise seeing hammerheads.

Thanks.

don't see any operators that advertise seeing hammerheads.

If there were a dive site off Oahu with even the remotest chance of seeing a hammerhead, an operator would be advertising it.

Try an internet search of "hammerhead mating season oahu" :idk:

Kind of what I figured, but thought there might be a chance. I have read a couple of accidental sightings at certain locations, but nothing to count on.

Bummer. I'd really like to see a couple swimming about. A friend has some great pictures of swimming under a school of about 50 of them in the Galopagos on an Aggresor boat. Given that there is supposed to be a bunch in K Bay and they are not supposed to be that dangeropus I was hoping there might be a common spot to see a couple.

Its a crap shoot for sure, i have done a few dives at the little reefs in Kbay and never seen a single one. But i do have the luck of having seen a baby (2ft max) in Hanauma bay on a snorkeling trip with a few friends. They are a great animal but as far as i know Molokai is your best bet at seeing them in Hawaii.

They are occasionally sighted here on the Big Island. Rare however.

And like Gabe, since I began diving in 1976 here on the Big Island I've seen exactly "zero" hammerheads. I know they are here in East Hawaii... We used to find dead baby hammerheads washed ashore along Hilo Bayfront, but have not seen any (dead ones) in years.

Best wishes.

got lucky and saw one on horseshoe reef, had my back up camera and never got off a shot. lol.

They are occasionally sighted here on the Big Island. Rare however.

And like Gabe, since I began diving in 1976 here on the Big Island I've seen exactly "zero" hammerheads. I know they are here in East Hawaii... We used to find dead baby hammerheads washed ashore along Hilo Bayfront, but have not seen any (dead ones) in years.

Best wishes.

There was a juvenile at Puako Paniau this morning. Not in the water and no camera = no shot though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom