Oahu Diving, suggestions on companies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggestions for good companies to deal with on Oahu, I'm going for a week, but since my girlfriend doesn't dive (yet, haven't had time to get her certified, and don't want to rush into it on a vacation) I want to maybe do a day of diving, but no more, probably rent gear (not sure on that one yet so maybe).

Anyway, anyone have good experiences to report from operators?

Hmmm, like to know about this myself. Going Kiteboarding over there.....Kailua. May do some diving too, since I'm there.

Lots of good diving over here. If you are only going to do one days worth of diving you might want to choose which wreck you want to dive, that pretty much ties you in with certain companies. Do you have an idea what you wanted to see? You can check this post, it lists the major wrecks on Oahu.

Hmm tricky...

I'm actually not THAT mad on wrecks, at least not the wrecks themselves, I enjoy seeing lots of fish. I prefer shallower to deeper dives simply for the more time (plus on prior diving trips I've found there is rather more life at 30-60 feet than at 100+ feet.

Does that suggest any good sites to you? Lave tubes sounds fun but sounds like less animal life, I'm more interested in doing animal life than interesting swim throughs.

When will you be there? I'll be there end of Feb.

I'm not big into wrecks at all either, but I did find the Sea Tiger worth diving. The dive time is too short because of the depth, but there is lots to see. I am going to try to organize to dive it on Nitrox this time to extend some bottom time...

JamesD:
Any suggestions for good companies to deal with on Oahu,
Anyway, anyone have good experiences to report from operators?
I enjoyed Ocean Concepts two years ago. Big operator, but thorough and safe.
A friend whose opinion I trust recommends Deep Ecology (North side), but I haven't dived with them.

I used to live in Honolulu and go back as often as I can. There are some good dive shops on-island but I only use them for a boat dive when I feel I MUST get out to the deeper water. There is just as much fun near the shore. Ocean Concepts is the biggest dive operator on the isle and they do a good job. Check out shorediving.com to get some other good info about diving in Hawaii.

Aloha
Jim

Justleesa isn't touting her own horn here, but she is the best dive guide on the island, particularly if you want to see cool stuff.

And of course, her husband, Roger, just saw a whale shark! That's extremely rare here.

Check out her signature line.

pickens_46929:
Goto Hanuama Bay... you can snorkel and dive there...
http://www.hanaumabaysnorkeling.com/
If you like diving on a crushed reef with 10,000 other people a day.
We have artifical reefs, not real wrecks, well most of them and they team with life. The YO is shallower than the Sea Tiger if you want a few minutes extra then followed up with a reef dive.
Also an option is AAA, Sundays are three tank dives.
PS Deep Ecology on the north shore is very good and it's all shallow diving but dont count on it in the winter months, thats surf season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom