O2 toxicity liklihood below pp 1.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…The extreme conditions you're talking about would be beyond the training of a recreational air diver. The pO2 in compressed air doesn't even get to 1.0 until 124 feet, and CNS oxygen toxicity is not an issue below 1 ATA. I think it's very reasonable that it's not mentioned at that level of training…

I concur… when everything goes right. What if somebody screws up and grabs an EAN40 bottle instead of air? No question it “shouldn’t” happen, but non-Nitrox trained divers are onboard with Nitrox mixes all the time and haven’t been trained to be aware of their mix. OxTox symptom awareness might give them a second chance.

OK, I’m an old school curmudgeon. OxTox was part of my first Scuba course, mostly because surplus pure O2 rebreathers were still around. It is even more important to teach now that Nitrox and O2 stage bottles are around.

I concur… when everything goes right. What if somebody screws up and grabs an EAN40 bottle instead of air? No question it “shouldn’t” happen, but non-Nitrox trained divers are onboard with Nitrox mixes all the time and haven’t been trained to be aware of their mix. OxTox symptom awareness might give them a second chance.

OK, I’m an old school curmudgeon. OxTox was part of my first Scuba course, mostly because surplus pure O2 rebreathers were still around. It is even more important to teach now that Nitrox and O2 stage bottles are around.

That's a good point. I think you have to look at bang for your buck, though... there are a lot of things that CAN happen to a diver that don't get taught in recreational diving courses. If you start teaching all the "ifs", you end up with Navy dive school. Where do you draw the line?

That's a good point. I think you have to look at bang for your buck, though... there are a lot of things that CAN happen to a diver that don't get taught in recreational diving courses. If you start teaching all the "ifs", you end up with Navy dive school. Where do you draw the line?
Great point. I introduce ox-tox in the deep diving specialty course, even if students aren't already nitrox-qualified. It's convenient to be able to add one more reason for not exceeding the 130-foot limit for recreational diving . . .
130' on air = 1.0 ppo2
218' on air = 1.6 ppo2

Of course the actual origins of the 130-foot limit are not well-documented and are often debated. That doesn't stop me from using that limit to illustrate points of my own choosing.

Back
Top Bottom