Is Po2 only something to worry about if diving enriched o2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been wading through various threads on Po2, most of which have been fairly detailed and technical, and many of which debate the 1.4 or 1.6 question.

However, I am unclear on the very basic premise of when one needs to worry about Po2. Is partial pressure of oxygen only something that needs to be tracked and worried about if you are diving enriched air? (At depths that a recreational diver would reach.)

A related question:

My dive computer has an alarm if the calculated Po2 is too low (below 0.18 bar):

"PO2 is low. Descend or switch to higher O2 gas."

I've read a bunch about all the nasty things that can happen if your Po2 is too high. Haven't seen anything on what happens if your Po2 is too low. What is the danger of a low Po2, and what would cause you to have a low Po2?

You shouldn't exceed PO2 1.4, especially as a novice diver. And your limit on an OW c-card will be 18 metres. PO2 .58/.21 Air = 2.8 ATA. 18 metres.
PO2

Download US NAVY Diving Manual.

You shouldn't exceed PO2 1.4, especially as a novice diver. And your limit on an OW c-card will be 18 metres. PO2 .58/.21 Air = 2.8 ATA. 18 metres.
PO2

Download US NAVY Diving Manual.

So, at depths that a recreational diver would go to, using regular air, high PO2 is not likely to be an issue, correct?

What about low PO2?

So, at depths that a recreational diver would go to, using regular air, high PO2 is not likely to be an issue, correct?

What about low PO2?

Unless you are diving CCRs, low PO2 isn't a concern. I assume you are talking about Open Circuit? 16% O2 is the lowest you can breathe on the surface.

Unless you are diving CCRs, low PO2 isn't a concern. I assume you are talking about Open Circuit? 16% O2 is the lowest you can breathe on the surface.

Yes. Just standard open circuit newbie recreational diving at recreational depths using normal 21% air.

It sounds like PO2 (high or low) would not be an issue under these conditions, and I can worry about other things for now.

Yes. Just standard open circuit newbie recreational diving at recreational depths using normal 21% air.

It sounds like PO2 (high or low) would not be an issue under these conditions, and I can worry about other things for now.
If you decide to go deeper than 18 metres, dive with a qualified diver with more experience than yourself. Narcosis could be a problem when you go below 27 metres.

Download NOAA 4th edition Diving Manual.

I've been wading through various threads on Po2, most of which have been fairly detailed and technical, and many of which debate the 1.4 or 1.6 question.

However, I am unclear on the very basic premise of when one needs to worry about Po2. Is partial pressure of oxygen only something that needs to be tracked and worried about if you are diving enriched air? (At depths that a recreational diver would reach.)

A related question:

My dive computer has an alarm if the calculated Po2 is too low (below 0.18 bar):

"PO2 is low. Descend or switch to higher O2 gas."

I've read a bunch about all the nasty things that can happen if your Po2 is too high. Haven't seen anything on what happens if your Po2 is too low. What is the danger of a low Po2, and what would cause you to have a low Po2?
These things would be included in any classes you take where you'll have access to these resources.

The PO2 high limit is not much of a worry on regular air. You hit that limit at about 60 meters (7 atm). But at that point most people have other concerns, such as rapidly increasing deco time and significant narcosis.

The low PO2 limit is specifically an issue when you're using gasses that are made for deep technical diving. In these gasses, the amount of oxygen isn't great enough to support life at 1 atm, but if used at depth the PO2 is high enough to breath. If you were breathing one of these gasses and started to ascent, you could run into an issue, which is why the dive computer will alert you. But you aren't going to just be able to pick up these gasses at the dive shop freely.

To calculate PPO2, you just multiply the fraction of oxygen in your breathing gas by the ATA of ambient pressure. Remember, sea level is 1ATA, and it increases linearly for every 10m of depth.

On air:
po2 @ 0m (~0ft) (1ATA) = 0.21
po2 @ 10m (~33ft) (2ATA) = 0.42
po2 @ 20m (~66ft) (3ATA) = 0.63
po2 @ 30m (~100ft) (4ATA) = 0.84
po2 @ 40m (~130ft) (5ATA) = 1.05
po2 @ 50m (~165ft) (6ATA) = 1.26
po2 @ 60m (~200ft) (7ATA) = 1.47

For your breathing gas have a po2 below 0.18, it needs to be less that 18% o2 at surface pressure. The only time air will have a po2 of less than 0.18 is at altitude.

As for high po2, if your computer alarm goes off for high po2 while you're on a rec dive breathing air, you have more serious problems to worry about!

@ssssnake529

Assuming it is a serious question.

New divers generally use air which is historically the standard diving gas.

The issue of PO2 and Scuba diving relates to the fact as the ambient pressure increases (i.e. as you get deeper), the PO2 will increase.
So the first point is that, when diving air. Air is a safe gas to breath at an ambient pressure of 1 bar. So that the minimum PO2 of air (as a Scuba breathing gas), is 0.21. - Basically it is safe to breath on the surface - the human body is designed to breath air at ambient pressure.
As you get deeper the PO2 of air increases. For the PO2 of air to get to a level that would cause concern, there are a lot of more worrying adverse issues caused by the Nitrogen which makes up the balance. Hence, PO2 was historically never a concern when using air as a diving gas.

Air historically was used as the preferred breathing gas, because it is cheap, readily available and easy to compress.
In shallow depths it is ideal.

Nitrox (Enriched Air), is a relatively new diving gas for amateurs. It started to become available in the late 1990's. Previously used by the scientific community, and other diving professionals. Initially, it was the 'technical diving community' that started to embrace Nitrox.
There was initially some resistance by the main diving agencies. It was perceived as too high a risk. Toxicity issues, handling (compressing) issues, special decompression tables etc.
It rapidly became apparent that the safety aspects out weighed the perceived risks, and that the average scuba diver was more than capable of understanding and using Nitrox.

Nitrox is now the preferred diving gas for many.

The only way to have low PO2 issues with Scuba diving is to start with a gas with a low initial oxygen content. Which is a possibility when using Trimix, or Heliox, which are used for deep diving. The use of Trimix & Heliox require advanced diving qualifications.
The traditional restriction is a mix with a 16% or lower level of oxygen, i.e. a PO2 of 0.16 on the surface.
The risk comes on the surface or in shallow water.
The only other potential area of exposure to low PO2 breathing mixes is when using SCR or CCR units. In particular CCR units. CCR units are gas recycling units, if the metabolised oxygen is not replaced, eventually all O2 in the breathing look will be consumed, or it will reach a value to low to sustain consciousness.

HOWEVER
There is a risk of incorrectly identifying the breathing gas. Other than the high PO2 issue that you have already aware of. If you use the wrong decompression table for the wrong gas, then there is a risk of DCI. i.e when using air, you must use an air table (or computer set for air). You can use a table for less O2 than the O2 in the breathing mix (i.e. an air table with Nitrox 36), but you can't use a Nitrox 36 table when breathing air.

In short. Low PO2 (below 0.16), there is a risk of blackout, especially if working hard. Advanced diving gases do allow you the opportunity to have access to specially mixed gases that could have a O2 content of under 16%, which are used for deep diving. They are not safe for use in shallow water or on the surface. Additional gases are carried and used by OC scuba divers for the shallow sections of the dive.
Traditional a travel gas, (say 32% O2), for the start of the dive. Then a transition to the deep gas (say 10% O2 +He +N) at around 30m. Then on the ascent, a switch to travel gas at or around 30m, and finally a switch to the decompression gas (80-100% O2).
The other point about low O2 gases, is that they are poor gases to decompress on, and shorten the bottom time.

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom