O2 lubricant question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vinc 878

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon, just want yo ask some more advanced tech divers for an opinion about bringing bit of lubricant on the first stage filter to make the air coming out the stage to be bit moisturising...is that possible? Are there any risks like condensation in the hose, freezing? I am diving in 4 degrees of Celsia cold waters, I am Rescue diver certified, 508 loged dive, thank you for opinions...

I can not recommend putting any lubricant on to any sintered filter. What you will achieve by doing so is creating an awesome sticky surface that will attract any dust particles that would otherwise be able to fall off the filter. For good reasons, more than one manufacturer suggest to not lubricate O-Rings that come into contact with the filter.

I also highly doubt that adding lubricant would moisturize the gas at all to any significant levels that you would notice it.

Apollo has an inline element that does exactly what you would like. I have no experience with this element, but I do know Apollo makes equipment which is decent.
How it fares in cold water I do not know, but their manual states:
Do not use the moisturizer pad when the temperature is (atmospheric and water) below 0 degrees centigrade / 32 degrees fahrenheit.
How this system copes with the substantial isenthalpic expansion of air in the first stage and accompanying temperature drop I do not know either. It's probably best to ask Apollo directly.

Attachments

• Bio-Filter & Bio-Micro - Owners Manual (2020).pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 61
  • Bio-Filter (After 2004) - Schematics (2018).pdf
    220 KB · Views: 32
Good afternoon, just want yo ask some more advanced tech divers for an opinion about bringing bit of lubricant on the first stage filter to make the air coming out the stage to be bit moisturising...is that possible? Are there any risks like condensation in the hose, freezing? I am diving in 4 degrees of Celsia cold waters, I am Rescue diver certified, 508 loged dive, thank you for opinions...
Yes your second stage will be much more susceptible to freezing in 4c water. The gas needs to be DRY to avoid this risk as much as possible

Back
Top Bottom