O2 cylinder explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Oxygen doesn't burn."
Notice what did burn to cause this explosion - brass and aluminum.
Ignition source - heat generated by friction in the threads.
I also wouldn't be surprised if there were a bit of incompatible lubricant involved here, too.
cdreamer:
OMG!! Don't know if that was narrated, I don't have sound, but I hope whoever was servicing that is OK. That is alot of blood.
The blood is where the severed arm landed. They didn't say whether the previous owner of the arm was alive or dead, but the implication is that he lived.
Rick

JC Franklin:
it was a home health O2 tank. You have got to hear the narration. Holy cow.
This is the same cylinter that's in many onboard oxygen kits.
Rick

I agree with Rick about the lubricant. If I was to make a bet it would be that there was something either on the vise or the workers hand that caused it. Maybe even the wrench.

Let's see...soak this thing down with WD40 and that should loosen it up....

crpntr133:
I agree with Rick about the lubricant. If I was to make a bet it would be that there was something either on the vise or the workers hand that caused it. Maybe even the wrench.
mikerault:
Let's see...soak this thing down with WD40 and that should loosen it up....
Don't think so. The point of ignition was inside the tank on the threads between the valve and the tank neck. You can see the vaporization of the tank neck threads and the valve end that was in the tank. These are the things that burned with explosive speed and caused the explosion. Whether there was some incompatible lubricant on the threads to help with ignition or not I doubt we'll ever know, but the heat came from the mechanical friction of turning the valve with great force (big wrench and chain vice) with the valve under pressure and in contact with pure oxygen - guaranteed BOOM! There's no way an externally applied lubricant could have gotten to the point of ignition with pressure in the tank.
In other words, while there may have been an incompatible lubricant involved, it would have had to have been on the threads when the valve was installed; the heat of friction could easily have been enough to torch the aluminum even without it.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom