o-ring lubrication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I greased an Ikelite strobe once that didn't require lubrication and I flooded it.

They say you can "overgrease" an o-ring (I haven't done that yet), and it'll cause a flood. The o-ring is supposed to appear shiney with no excess grease on it, otherwise it could cause a problem.

Were you able to let the strobe dry out and recover it?

RichKirby:
Yes, you are not supposed to lubricate the o-ring in the Sealife DC500. I never have and have had no problems.

How about the strobe Rich, is it the same as the camera, don't grease?

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. For my Ikelite strobes, I grease the o-rings periodically as they suggest and have never had a problem.

Pegger:
How about the strobe Rich, is it the same as the camera, don't grease?

Yes, for Sealife anyway. I've never greased the strobe o-ring either.

Although I don't use that particular housing, I dive with mine about 300 times a year. I rarely put any grease on it and the only time it ever flooded (about a tablespoon) was before I bought insuranced! No floods in the three years since I bought!

I have a new Canon WP-DC90 housing. Should I grease it before the first use? It came with silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom