NZ Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you all consider the best NZ diving to be?

I personally am fond of Kaikoura and am looking forward to the sinking of HMNZS wellington in its home port.

what's yours????????

Hi,

I did a fair bit of diving in NZ when I was there in Feb. I have to say that my favourite three sites were Northern Arch and Tie-Dye Arch at the Poor Knights islands and Laison's Reef at White Island. The amount of short and long tail rays was awesome - on my Northern Arch dive we must have had 50 or 60 sightings...quite a few eagle rays too. Laison's reef was one of the fishiest places I dove - loads of massive kingfish and yet more inquisitive rays, some as big as 2 metres. I also dived in Milford Sound - excellent black coral but rather cold! Also enjoyed the Mikhail Lermontov in Malborough sounds although visibility wasn't amazing. The first dives I did in NZ were off Paihia - dove the Rainbow Warrior - quite small but the small square room you sit in surrounded by Big Eyes was awesome. Also did a dive off Paihia called The Tunnels which was basically a set of narrow passages where you could shoot through like superman due to teh surge! I actually did my rescue diver course at Dive! Kaikoura and therefore I have a soft spot for there also...a very interesting bottom - there were all kinds of autumnal coloured kelps and seaweeds and the surge is always a nice and steady one. I would do them all again but sadly i'm back in the UK now!

ElmDiver

I have a favorite Cray spot that is a beach dive less than an hours drive from Auckland, but you could put burning bamboo shoots under my fingernails and rip out my eyes before I tell you..

anywhere in the Kights are good, and DO NOT MISS waikoropupu springs for water clarity that is intoxicating as the gin it looks like.

I'd say you should definitely dive at the Poor Knights. I was not qualified to dive at the wrecks, but the others were fascinating enough.

I dove the HMS Waikato twice with Dive! Tutukaka. Excellent! Poor Knights are wonderful too.

My only regret is that I planned my trip there before I started diving so I only had one spare weekend left. Bummer.

The whole coastline from White Island to the Three Kings has some pretty spectacular diving all round.

ElmDiver:
Hi,

I did a fair bit of diving in NZ when I was there in Feb. I have to say that my favourite three sites were Northern Arch and Tie-Dye Arch at the Poor Knights islands and Laison's Reef at White Island. The amount of short and long tail rays was awesome - on my Northern Arch dive we must have had 50 or 60 sightings...quite a few eagle rays too. Laison's reef was one of the fishiest places I dove - loads of massive kingfish and yet more inquisitive rays, some as big as 2 metres. I also dived in Milford Sound - excellent black coral but rather cold! Also enjoyed the Mikhail Lermontov in Malborough sounds although visibility wasn't amazing. The first dives I did in NZ were off Paihia - dove the Rainbow Warrior - quite small but the small square room you sit in surrounded by Big Eyes was awesome. Also did a dive off Paihia called The Tunnels which was basically a set of narrow passages where you could shoot through like superman due to teh surge! I actually did my rescue diver course at Dive! Kaikoura and therefore I have a soft spot for there also...a very interesting bottom - there were all kinds of autumnal coloured kelps and seaweeds and the surge is always a nice and steady one. I would do them all again but sadly i'm back in the UK now!

ElmDiver

I like Northern arch, but RikoRiko cave with the light spilling in and the shoals of blue maomao are hard to beat as well. I haven't dived the SI yet, and would love to do the sounds.
I would also like to sneak into those fresh water springs for a sneaky one. Bloomin councils.....
Oh well....Sorry about the Rugby....England, England A and the Womans team....
No! The cricket doesn't count! :11ztongue

Cheers Big Ears

I agree with Dave the diver I have dived most of the east coast in the northern part of the North Island. Its all great. If you like the Poor Knights you should also try the Mokohinau Islands. they are in the same water channel as the Poor Knights but you can land on them, not many people go there a about 2 hours by boat to get there from Leigh.

greg somers:
I would also like to sneak into those fresh water springs for a sneaky one. Bloomin councils.....

Dont tell me they closed pupu springs....... Did they?

what for

cancun mark:
Dont tell me they closed pupu springs....... Did they?

what for

Not that that will stop me....hehehehe. (night dive)

The Sneakasaurus will be on patrol next time I'm down there..lol. I'll be wearing my black ninja wetsuit..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom