NZ Coroner releases inquest findings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sydney-diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this accident has already been discussed. The Wellington, New Zealand coroner has released his findings into a 2007 fatality (Drowned diver's tank probably ran out of air | Stuff.co.nz).

"As her air tank was empty when she was found, Mr Cook concluded she died from drowning. "

"Wellington regional coroner Ian Smith endorsed those findings and issued a series of standard dive safety recommendations."

Not sure how to find the recomendations, I guess they'll appear here at some stage - Recommendations 2010 — Ministry of Justice, New Zealand

The competency and grasp of the obvious of medical examiners never ceases to amaze me when it comes to accidents that may or may not be dive related.DUH! But why was her tank empty? Was there an underlying medical condition? How do we know for sure she did not have a heart attack or seizure and died. Then the reg freeflowed and emptied the tank. Not surprising at all. No air, underwater, no gunshot or stab wound- victim therefore drowned.

Last edited:
The competency and grasp of the obvious of medical examiners never ceases to amaze me when it comes to accidents that may or may not be dive related.DUH! But why was her tank empty? Was there an underlying medical condition? How do we know for sure she did not have a heart attack or seizure and died. Then the reg freeflowed and emptied the tank. Not surprising at all. No air, underwater, no gunshot or stab wound- victim therefore drowned.

Jim, the implication from the media report is that she ran out of air. She was supposed to have 70 bar a short time before buddy separation. Once we can see the Coroner's report I am quite certain it will be a lot more comprehensive than "no evidence of gunshot or stab wounds".

The radio reports of the Coroners recommendations boiled down to some fairly basic dive principles that might be summed up as "follow your OW training". I can't find the Coroner's report either at present but I will post it here when I do, it sounds like the Coroner thought the death was caused by failure to follow standard safe diving practices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom