NYC dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanderlustgal:
I don't really have the time to shop for stuff while I'm there but thanks for the suggestion. It's something to consider.

Not only for shopping but the site's good for dive site suggestions, dive operators etc.

Kings County Divers in Brooklyn.. Ave U and 21st?? google it.

I have a small advice if you are bringing your gear.

If it's a short trip then do it. (1-2 weeks). If you are planning on moving/jumping around then do not bring large equipment.

I have done almost 1/2 of my diving in SE Asia and I always felt the equip was adecuate. I would usually bring fins/mask, etc. but that was for 1, 2-3 months trip.

Report on your trip to the Philippines...I would love to know how it is as I am planning on heading back to that area late Jan/Feb. I am doing the same thing as you, I am shopping for scuba equipment as well. LOL So far my list

Bought: Wetsuit, mask, Computer
Missing: Boots, Gloves, Knife, Horn.

Safe Diving

BikerManiac:
Kings County Divers in Brooklyn.. Ave U and 21st?? google it.

I have a small advice if you are bringing your gear.

If it's a short trip then do it. (1-2 weeks). If you are planning on moving/jumping around then do not bring large equipment.

I have done almost 1/2 of my diving in SE Asia and I always felt the equip was adecuate. I would usually bring fins/mask, etc. but that was for 1, 2-3 months trip.

Report on your trip to the Philippines...I would love to know how it is as I am planning on heading back to that area late Jan/Feb. I am doing the same thing as you, I am shopping for scuba equipment as well. LOL So far my list

Bought: Wetsuit, mask, Computer
Missing: Boots, Gloves, Knife, Horn.

Safe Diving

I'm in the Phils for 8-9 days total and feel its worth having some of the equipment myself. I'm flying JetStar from S'pore to Manila, Cebu Pac from Manila to Cebu and JetStar has some crazy weight restrictions (20 kg no charge, max 32 kg) so I have to be selective on what I bring. I think I will buy a wrist-style dive computer so I can wear it, bring wetsuit/fins/mask and decide if I should bring my own BC or reg or rent those.

If I was doing a long-term trip I wouldn't bother with the equipment. I spent months traveling around the south pacific and thought just schleping the mask and snorkel was a pain.

yup, regional flights there have very strick weight requirements. I used to be a instructor based in Singapore/Malaysia and most of the diving there I have done with very light "travel" BC + reg. not sure what type of dives you are planning to do, but I am still using a very old TUSA BC and it weights close to nothing.

kirikuru:
yup, regional flights there have very strick weight requirements. I used to be a instructor based in Singapore/Malaysia and most of the diving there I have done with very light "travel" BC + reg. not sure what type of dives you are planning to do, but I am still using a very old TUSA BC and it weights close to nothing.

If I can come across a lightweight BC I will take it as I don't have a BC/Reg/Computer. Its really my fins that weigh a lot/take up space so I may just pack my booties and rent fins. I did promise myself that next dive trip I would have ALL my own equipment so that I could know and love it well. I had tried to get direct flights on Qatar/Philippine Airlines from S'pore but since its Christmas time they were costing over USD $500. I bought my ticket to S'pore back in June when I had plans to go to Thailand/Indonesia and it was an easier hub for cheap regional flights. I must plan the next trip better.

I know some say rent equipment. But I really would advise buying your own gear. Rental regs are usually the bottom of the barrel plus some places don't wash them as much as I would like.
Having my own stuff also helped me be a better diver. Every time I dived I would have to get used to new stuff, even at the same dive shop.

When it comes to the length of a trip, if I spend more time, I want my own gear, less then I can maybe rent. (Still bring my reg) My rule is: more than 2 dive days I want my own gear.

I use a 2.5 pound backplate that I love for warm water. Also cuz it takes the weigh off your weight belt if any.

Also another issue is your size and height. If u are not the average size and height for the country u may have big problems. I’m 6’3 size 13 foot. Ex: Took me 2 days to find replacement sandals in Malaysia

wanderlustgal:
I'm in the Phils for 8-9 days total and feel its worth having some of the equipment myself. I'm flying JetStar from S'pore to Manila, Cebu Pac from Manila to Cebu and JetStar has some crazy weight restrictions (20 kg no charge, max 32 kg) so I have to be selective on what I bring. I think I will buy a wrist-style dive computer so I can wear it, bring wetsuit/fins/mask and decide if I should bring my own BC or reg or rent those.

If I was doing a long-term trip I wouldn't bother with the equipment. I spent months traveling around the south pacific and thought just schleping the mask and snorkel was a pain.

Cebu Pac has special wieight allowances for certain sports (e.g., golf clubs) but I'm not sure if they have one for SCUBA. Post an inquiry on the Philippine Paradise Divers and I'm sure someone will help you.

Wanderlustgal, in the City, the only true, all around Dive shop, they teach, instruct and advise according to PADI, strictly, is Pan Aqua on West 43 St. You can access the pool next door to try out a piece of gear you are buying to see if it is the proper one for you and will have expert advice from people that dive and are part of the Dive Community. They have been in bussines for decades, I think since mid 60s. They also service gear. I bought all my dive gear there [ they do not carry cheap junk] and anytime I've ever had a problem they were there to fix it or send it to the mfg for in-warranty repair. They are very reputable.

Any non life support gear you want you can get any place, but life support gear should be purchased from a reputable dive shop, ANY REPUTABLE Dive shop.

I just took a 10 minutes walk from work to Pan Aqua. Dummy me, I have passed the LDS so many times but never realized it was a dive shop. :)

The shop was very nice and organized but I felt they didn't have that many selection. I was looking for gloves...and thank god I went there first. I was thinking about buying 3mm but I completely changed my mind. They are so heavy and unflexible...
I need more like 1mm or at most 1.5mm so the trip to the LDS saved me 20-30 bucks.

Very hard to buy something when you know you can get it 20%-30% cheaper online. Specially when you dont have to pay taxes. It's the GUILT factor again when you go to LDS just to try things.

BikerManiac:
I just took a 10 minutes walk from work to Pan Aqua. Dummy me, I have passed the LDS so many times but never realized it was a dive shop. :)

The shop was very nice and organized but I felt they didn't have that many selection. I was looking for gloves...and thank god I went there first. I was thinking about buying 3mm but I completely changed my mind. They are so heavy and unflexible...
I need more like 1mm or at most 1.5mm so the trip to the LDS saved me 20-30 bucks.

Very hard to buy something when you know you can get it 20%-30% cheaper online. Specially when you dont have to pay taxes. It's the GUILT factor again when you go to LDS just to try things.

Why didn't you buy the 1 mil gloves at the dive shop where you were? Where did you buy your gloves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom