NY, PA, or CT at end of September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmbelina

Reaction score
Anyone up for diving the weekend of September 28/29? somewhere in SE New York, NE Pennsylvania, or Western CT?

Recently got OW certified and can't wait to dive again...I don't know of any places in those areas except Dutch Springs in PA. (its about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive from me in Poughkeepsie, NY)

A question for you all: I only own a 3mm suit right now...will the water be warm enough on the above dates to use that suit? I suppose I could rent a hooded vest with the rest of the equipment (I don't own any yet...currently looking at buying 1st/2nd stage, octo, and computer or analog gauges, and rent BC for now), which is what I used during my OW dives.

If you know of any other locations within a couple hours drive of me, let me know please....thanks!

...Dutch is pretty cool all year round. It's actually right around its peak temperature right now.

The suit you'll need for Dutch (or a comparable place) will depend on a few things...

-- How deep you'll dive
-- How cold-tolerant you are
-- How many good chilly nights there are between now and then

I've seen a few folks dive 3mm suits up there during the peak of the summer, and most mentioned being cold in relatively shallow depths.

I'd go for a 7mm suit. I wear one there all the time and have never been cold.

BTW -- I'll probably be up there that weekend.

I'm still thinking of going to DS this october.. want to go together/ meet down there ?

Bottom temps at Dutch SPrings last weekend were right around 60 degrees. I saw mid 50's at one point and I didn't go below 55 feet. On the third dive I was a bit chilly in my drysuit.

You will freeze your onions off in a 3mm. Go for more neoprene.

I'd travel north to Lake Champlain and / or Lake George, unless you want to hit Long Island Sound wrecks and / or NJ Wreck diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom