NW Wreck Dives book now available!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwscubamom

Contributor
Reaction score
After a LOT of research (and a lot of diving, which I'm sure was a horrible sacrifice) our own local divers Scott Boyd and his cohort, Jeff Carr, have completed researching, writing and publishing their new book - Northwest Wreck Dives. :banana:

This 208 page book contains over 120 wreck dives, about 30 of which are accessible by shore (which is important to us lame, non-boat-owning divers). The areas covered are:
- Puget Sound
- Straits of Juan de Fuca
- San Juan Islands
- Hood Canal

Some of these wrecks are unknown and unpublished (well, that is, before now anyway - duh!) :eek:hbrother: and you get all the juicy details like position, current corrections, depths and maps to help you plan a safe and successful dive.

What's really cool is the Seattle Times Book Critic has asked to review the book! So is that person a diver? Enquiring minds want to know.

You can read more about the new book here: Northwest Wreck Dives

Scott and Jeff, being the cool guys they are, will even autograph and write profound things in the cover of your own copy if you ask them to.

The new books are IN STOCK and available for immediate shipping. I just ordered my copy (using handy PayPal, but credit cards are also accepted) here:
Northwest Wreck Dives order form
It cost a smidge over $30 with shipping and tax included.

Scott and Jeff - nice going and a great addition to our NW diving resources!

- Janna :)

Attachments

• nwwreckdives.jpg
    nwwreckdives.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 88
Woohoo! I just got my copy and the book is great. Scott and Jeff did a wonderful job putting this together; good and honest descriptions of the sites, clear GPS coordinates, and good dive dive instructions with any hazards. They even included little illustrations of each wreck that help give an idea of what you are looking at. Well done! I can't wait to hit some of the dives they have described that I have never even heard about.

I got my a month ago and we have dove a couple of sites. They did a great job with the book.

KNGneptune, given your charges, I got out my copies of both books and looked at four dive that feature in both. In no case was the text in any way similar. Yes, the same dives appear in both -- how could they not? Some boat dives are wreck! The same location information is present, because the wrecks are in the same place. But the descriptions are totally different.

I think it's quite impolite of you to accuse Scott of plagiarism. The books are not the same, and Scott is a very well known and active wreck diver, who took the time to compile a lot of information into a book which is quite useful for those of us who would like to dive PNW wrecks.

Well kngneptune, if you think he copied your book, what do you plan on doing about it?

Many of these dives and accompanying information have been copied from Northwest Boat Dives....

Hi Dave,

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I remember getting the same one line email from you many months before we even published our book. You could not have read the book then and I'm guessing you still have not? That's too bad as it really is full of original material and was not copied.

As Lynne points out above, a few of the 122 wrecks in Northwest Wreck Dives also appear in Dave's book (as well as on NOAA charts and in the AWOIS database). The primary reason we included a few of the same wrecks was we found your positions to be way off.

As an example, the Taylor Bay Wreck position in NW Boat Dives is 47-11-13 N, 122-47-07 W, which is 1000' north of the actual position of the wreck (and about 400' Inland).

Good luck and Keep Diving,

Scott that is so funny, when I bought daves book from blue something LDS in marysville in 98 I think, I brought it up at harry's scubafest on lk city way. Dave did not want to talk about it and was blowing me off, of course he was signing books there but hey the wreck was not where it was printed in his book. The great thing was that while searching for it my buddy lost his light getting on boat, we went back down to find it and I had to go further to try and still find a wreck and WHAM I have this huge odd looking shark looking with one eye at me, 12' to 15'. so I went to buddy he had slate and I wrote shark, I found his light and was using both to find wreck.

I later that day found out it is a six gill. although it was the biggest six gill I have ever seen if 50' of water on a sand slope with 40' vis.

Scott although I dove almost all the wrecks before your book came out, it was fun to research and find these wrecks. with gas prices and life nowadays it is a great time saver to any one that likes to dive wrecks, I personally like finding new ones.

I did meet jeff and his friends at a bar one knight after diving and he was a very enthused diver wanting to try anything to make diving better, he just got his portable compressor, they were such delightful divers that night I paid there bar tab.

If Scott is anything like Jeff then Dave Bliss is upset for no sales on his old book, and I know of more of his mistakes if he would like me to call him out on it. These fellas made a way better book with accurate info so not to waste the sport divers time when going for a wreck dive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom