Number one cause of diving fatalities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not basing my assertion on SB posts. If you read the BSAC and DAN accident narratives, you'll find individual instances. I don't have cites so you'll have to do your own research to find them.
Let's not be ridiculous.

I have not read the last few years of the DAN studies, but I used to read them ALL extremely carefully. Go through a lot of past ScubaBoard threads and you will find how often I quoted statistics from them to refute absurd claims.

I do not remember ever reading anything in any DAN study about people diving against medical advice. It may have been mentioned here or there, but the fact that I do not recall any suggests it must not have stood out if it did exist.

Now, as someone who has written logic curricula, let me explain how it works. If you say something exists and others say it does not, the burden is on YOU to show that it does exist, not on them to show it does not. What are they going to show as evidence if they are correct? If I read through nearly a half century of reports and report here that I didn't find any, you could just say that I missed them. No, the burden of proof is yours--if you say there are many such reports, then you should have no trouble finding examples and posting the specifics.

Are there people who dive against medical advice? I'm sure there are, but I have no specific knowledge of it. Are "many" of the health-related fatalities composed of such people? I have no idea, because I have never seen any evidence of it. If you have seen the evidence, please cite it.

Panic has been mentioned. But you'd have to be observing the diver. Did the panic cause the drowning, or the situation that led to the panic? If you think the end is near (even if you "stopped, breathed, thinked" and tried all the options), my guess is you will panic. Semantics, perhaps.

Initial Reported or Observed Problem of Divers Brought to the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber (1995 - 2000):

Buoyancy Problem: 12%
Air Supply Problem: 11%
Buddy Problems: 10%
Decompression Problem: 6%
Equalizing Problem: 6%
Pain: 6%
Uncomfortable: 5%
Environmental Problem: 4%
Equipment Problem: 3%
Medical Problem: 3%
Regulator Problem: 3%
Rapid Ascent: 2%
Fatigue: 2%
Rebreather Problem: 2%
Mask Problem: 2%
Aspiration (water): 1%
Panic: 1%
No Problems Noted: approx. 10% occurrence

Quote: Divers Brought to the Catalina Chamber
--Did They Panic During the Dive?
Panicked: 33%
Did not Panic: 42%
Unknown: 25%

Quote: Divers Brought to the Catalina Chamber and
Suffering From AGE/Drowning/Near Drowning
--Did They Panic During the Dive?
Panicked: 51%

Did not Panic: 19%
Unknown: 30%

Quote:Cases from 1995 thru 2000
Of 154 Divers Brought to the Chamber:
76 (49%) Recompressed:
43 (57%) of which were DCS related
33 (43%) of which were Air Embolism related

78 (51%) Not Recompressed:
23 (29%) Rule Out AGE
23 (29%) Rule Out DCS
19 (24%) Near Drowning
9 (12%) Drowning
4 (5%) AGE/DCS Refused Treatment Against Medical Advice

19 (12%) Full Arrest --Fatalities

Panic has been mentioned. But you'd have to be observing the diver. Did the panic cause the drowning, or the situation that led to the panic? If you think the end is near (even if you "stopped, breathed, thinked" and tried all the options), my guess is you will panic. Semantics, perhaps.
I know of a case where a highly experienced and skilled diver did indeed panic when he was at the very end of his rope. I am sure it can happen to anyone.

The studies indicate that other then health-related issues, there is an element of panic in the most important kind of fatalities, and it is all something I mentioned earlier. PADI's studies indicated that these fatalities occurred when divers failed to follow appropriate training when involved with an incident. To wit, a diver wold die of an embolism upon surfacing after a rapid ascent to the surface following an OOA incident. As a consequence, PADI made a number of changes to its OW training program, adding a lot of stuff. The purpose was to try to eliminate those failures.

Here are some highlights of the changes that were inspired by the joint DAN/PADI fatality study:
  • There is a much stronger emphasis on practicing the buddy system, both in the pool and the open water.
  • There is much greater emphasis on oral inflation, especially after ascending at the end of an OOA practice. (Some people have reached the surface after being OOA only to sink again because they did not remember how to orally inflate the BCD.)
  • There is an emphasis on dropping weights at the surface in the case of a need for buoyancy--students must drop weights on the surfca and experience the increased buoyancy.
  • There is an emphasis on monitoring gas levels while diving, both for yourself and for a buddy. On numerous occasions in both the pool and the open water, students are to respond to a request for their current air level, and they are expected to answer with reasonable accuracy when asked because they have only recently checked without being asked. Students are also supposed to ask their buddies for their gas levels on a number of occasions during the program.
  • The course has a much greater emphasis than int he past on gas management. Students are supposed to plan a gas reserve and use strategies like the rule of thirds for planning a dive.
  • Students are supposed to plan and execute the last dive of the course independently, with the instructor following along and only intervening if it becomes necessary.
  • In the pool sessions, the second OOA practice scenario now ends with a rise to the surface and oral inflation; in the past students just swam for a while and then ended the drill.
  • The pool sessions end with a mini-dive in which students plan and dive independently, with the instructor throwing problems at them, such as OOA.

For several courses before I was "retired" I experienced these excellent changes. Particularly liked the mini dive idea.

Not to belabor this issue but where are all these cases of daredevil divers dying after ignoring their doctor's dictums?

Not to belabor this issue but where are all these cases of daredevil divers dying after ignoring their doctor's dictums?
I actually provided that information in the link on the first page.
Diving Fatality Data

page2image5424
page2image6520
page2image7280
page2image7440
page2image7600
page2image7760
page2image7920
page2image8080
page2image8240
page2image8400

! Age.

• 90% died with their weight belt on.
• 86% were alone when they died.
• 50% did not inflate their buoyancy vest.
• 25% encountered their difficulty first on the surface,

50% actually died on the surface.
• 10% were under training when they died.
10% were advised that they were medically unfit to dive. • 5% were cave diving.
• 1% of “rescuers” became a victim.
http://www.divingmedicine.info/Ch 34 SM10c.pdf

Here's the summary page:
SUMMARY

page15image4120
page15image4280
page15image4440
page15image4600
page15image4760
page15image5856

Diving fatalities generally arise from a combination of factors, none of which alone would have caused disaster.

The contributing factors show an emerging pattern which needs to be addressed by diver education and training. For example, the majority of deaths were in divers who were medically unfit to dive or had a LOA or OOA element.

Competent and repeated dive medical examinations are essential. Diver training and re- training should result in proper planning, buoyancy control and air supply monitoring. Most of the deaths in recreational divers were preventable.

Case Report 34.1 A composite diving fatality might unfold as follows:

A young, inexperienced, slightly overconfident, indifferently trained, male diver undertakes a dive in open water under conditions with which he is relatively unfamiliar. He is healthy but does no regular exercise apart from occasional diving. He has a vague dive plan which he does not discuss with his equally casual buddy. He is mildly anxious because of the unfamiliar conditions. He follows his usual practice of using a generous number of weights, initially inflating and then deflating his B.C. on the surface, to allow his weights to help him descend. Fascination with the environment leads him and his buddy to descend to 40 metres, deeper than they originally intended. He checks his contents gauge and is alarmed to find he is close to his reserve. His anxiety is increased by the realisation that there may be a decompression requirement for this dive, but he may have insufficient air to complete even a safety stop. He is unsure of the decompression requirement, if any, and he did not bring any tables with him. He had not chosen any of the more conservative options on his decompression meter.

He activates the inflation valve on his B.C. but gets so little response that he swims for the surface. He heads for the surface alone with some urgency, unable to communicate with his buddy who is some distance away and preoccupied with other marine life. His air supply runs out during the ascent and he arrives at the surface in a state of panic.

He has extreme difficulty staying afloat but in his frenzied state, neglects to ditch his weight belt or orally inflate his B.C.. His predicament is aggravated by inhalation of sea water and the loss of one of his fins. He becomes exhausted trying to remain on the surface, because of his negative buoyancy and reduced propulsion.

A search team later found his body on the bottom – directly below where he surfaced. They have difficulty in surfacing the body, until they release the weight belt.

The most significant factors in recreational diving fatalities are:

diving with disqualifying medical conditions • stress responses -panic and fatigue
• salt water aspiration
• environmental water movement

• buoyancy problems
  • inadequate air supply - LOA or OOA

• adverse sea conditions

• failure to ditch the weight belt when in difficulty

• ignoring or misapplying the buddy system

• improper use of equipment

• failure of equipment.
Chapter 34-15:
SeaRat

Hypothesis 1: People that are not cleared to dive do not take DAN insurance and hence will not contact DAN

Hypothesis 2: People that are not cleared to dive but still want to, will lie to the dive operator, and the dive operator is not happy to report accidents when the diver apparently was not cleared to dive

Hypothesis 3: In most countries legislation prohibits the publication of patient data and restricts collection of data for statistics

Hypothesis 4: In most countries legislation prohibits the publication of possible police investigations [=log and description of events in unclear cases] and restricts collection of data for statistics

If these are true then we will never see those reports in public (or at DAN or BSAC or anywhere else). As there is no data, no gauges can be designed, and thus effectiveness of countermeasures cannot be assessed -> a walk in the dark.

Hypothesis 5: The medical staff will not collect unbiased and complete data for statistics because they are neither paid nor trained to do so and they will not always have access to
  • the dive log or
  • the description of events or
  • knowledge of certifications awarded by private companies/associations/clubs
Hypothesis 6: The police is neither trained nor responsible for collecting dive accident statistics, and hence will no do it.

Hypotheses 3+4+5+6 together would prevent dissemination and combining of information.

I will leave these for the keen statistician to improve and prove.

What should be done instead, is a) try to reduce known and measurable accidents and b) try to make more accidents properly reported for statistics. Everything else is bound to have unknown effectiveness.

Last edited:
Uh, oh, a counter example: this report (from a post above) indeed has some information on uncleared divers:

10%

However: "Unfortunately significant data is frequently not available and so relevant causal factors are often underestimated."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom