Number of divers in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firal

Reaction score
Hello!
I am doing some research for a university project and I am looking for hte number of divers in the UK within the different age groups.
Can anybody help me? Would be great!
Thanks!

There are no published figures. Also there is a big difference between active divers and people that might have a PADI OW and dive every couple of years on holiday.

My guess would be about 100,000 active and twice that in total. No idea about ages.

Chris

I would guess there are many more than 100,000 active divers you only have to look at Stoney Cove and all the other inland sites every weekend also the amount of fishing boats that have turned into dive charter boats.

Might be better to try and log onto http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/home.pl for more info, you will get a lot more British divers on that site. I hope the admin here do not mind me adding this web site as it might be more helpful for chrisch.

pwwm

Hello FIRAL, I run a dive centre in the uk that has a fairly representative demograhic of the uk.
I can give you the sort of spread of the age groups, but could not tell u how many active divers their are in the uk. If you want that info, just pm me.

pwwm:
I would guess there are many more than 100,000 active divers you only have to look at Stoney Cove and all the other inland sites every weekend also the amount of fishing boats that have turned into dive charter boats.

Might be better to try and log onto http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/home.pl for more info, you will get a lot more British divers on that site. I hope the admin here do not mind me adding this web site as it might be more helpful for chrisch.

pwwm

I know that last year one source was claiming in excess of 750,000 divers, but that in my opinion is way off the chart. BSAC membership is currently around the 30,000 plus mark, I think, and PADI have qualified 30,000 new Open Water divers every year for the last five years, but allowing for drop-out, occasional holiday divers, etc, I reckon 80,000-100,000 active UK divers diving in the UK is a decent bet. I'd love to be proved wrong on that number - I'd like to see more people diving in the UK – but while Stoney and other inland sites might be very busy, particularly on weekends, it is worth bearing in mind that a lot of the divers are the same people week on week, so while there may be 500-600 divers there on any one day, you can't total up all the numbers and use that as a figure for active divers as you'd be counting some people multiple times.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom