Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of my four dives this year so far, three have been on one wreck that is being nice to me :)

Several Gymnodoris impudicas, which nice to see are also nudibranch eaters.

This one was more than 10cm ... due to its similarity to a certain Antarctic research boat I refer to it as "Sluggy McSlugface"

Several of this Caloria sp have been seen on all dives on various areas of the wreck.

A common species here is Hypselodoris infucata

As are Hypselodoris dolfusi which is endemic to the east coast of the UAE, although the first example was recorded in the Red Sea.

Not uncommon here to are Hypselodoris kanga

And one Nomea sp that I only noticed by accident and not actively searching, was less than 10mm

That second last photo had me hear: "Are you lookin' at me?"

That second last photo had me hear: "Are you lookin' at me?"

You should have seen the position I was in to take that shot :rofl3:

10 cm?? that's crazy big!
Most of our nudis at BHB are under 1 cm, and a lot of them less than that!

10 cm?? that's crazy big!
Most of our nudis at BHB are under 1 cm, and a lot of them less than that!
Most of the Hypselodoris and Goniobranchus / Chromodoris adults are around 2-3cm

We have plenty of smaller than 5mm white dot nudis, but I find it difficult to see them without using my 105mm lens which I don't generally use as it has limitation for photographing other critters plus the minimum focal length is longer than the 60mm that I usually use and that means more floaty cr@p between the lens and the subject.

The last shot above (Nomea sp) was taken with a +5 external diopter.

Another great nudi fest this weekend. Out of the four dives I did, three were nudi heaven. Water temp here is 23C which is usually as cold as it gets in the Gulf of Oman. The Persian Gulf, where I'll be diving on Wednesday, gets colder (18-19C).

All shots taken with 60mm micro lens and occasionally +5 wet diopter.

This Caloria sp. is rarely larger than 10mm

The Hypselodoris dolfusi is endemic to this region.

Hypselodoris carnae munching into the sponge

Hypselodoris nigrostrata, also munching on sponge

Phyllodesmium sp. after laying eggs

There was a plethora of Goniobranchus annulata at one site, more than 20 counted during a 67 min dive.

Also at the same site several pairs of Hypselodoris pulchella

Caloria militaris used to be very common on the Inchcape wrecks, but in the past 12 months they have become a rare sighting :(

Hypselodoris kanga

Great weekend :D

Hi, I was diving in Monterey, Calif. a couple days ago and saw a nudibranch (I think) that I can't seem to Google for. It was 10-15cm long, about 5cm diameter, mostly orange. A few white spots near the head. It reminded me of nothing so much as a "Creamsicle", an American dessert that has bright artificial orange ice on the outside and "cream" on the inside. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. No pictures, I have yet to get a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom