Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a page of Nudi shots from National Geographic magazine.........

Nudibranchs?Photo Gallery?National Geographic Magazine

View attachment 172422

I'd say we have shots of equal if not better quality here on Nudibranch Lovers, but the white background is an interesting effect. How do they do that and are the shadows shopped in?

The Wacom tablet and pen are your friend. Good friend when doing this stuff. I used to use the erase tool, but making a clipping path is a lot easier. yes, the shadow is dropped in after the background is removed.

Here is a page of Nudi shots from National Geographic magazine.........

Nudibranchs?Photo Gallery?National Geographic Magazine

View attachment 172422

I'd say we have shots of equal if not better quality here on Nudibranch Lovers, but the white background is an interesting effect. How do they do that and are the shadows shopped in?

No photoshop effect here, the nudis have been placed on a white semi translucent acrylic board lit accordingly.
Doubilet was doing this for a while. Personally, I am not a huge fan of scenarizing critters as I think taking advantage of the background and waiting for a good position is part of the photo game.

more info and opinions in this Wetpixel thread

No photoshop effect here, the nudis have been placed on a white semi translucent acrylic board lit accordingly.
Doubilet was doing this for a while. Personally, I am not a huge fan of scenarizing critters as I think taking advantage of the background and waiting for a good position is part of the photo game.

Agree.. Part of the fun of photography for me is to NOT move the subject around..

Im not a big fan of positioning the wildlife myself, but thats got as much to do with not harassing it as it has to do with it being "cheating"..

BTW, you have put some GREAT shots up on this thread.....I'm embarrassed to put some of mine..but, here goes......

Don't be embarrassed to post non pro shots, diver 85, mine sure ain't. The first one may be some kind of flatworm which are OK as well.

Here is a Polyclad Flatworm from SoCal (Sp.?)

P1010968* polclad Worm Closup copy.jpg

I was wondering if the NatGeo Nudis might be placed on a white background but the fake shadows made me think they were shopped.

Posting another couple pics------same nudi(X3)......., shot CFWA @ Apo Island, Philippines......

8157751594_ec65a27d4c_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8158729781_df21732875_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8156620435_70212a74b3_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

#1 Ok..
#2 Nice shot
#3 Ok, this is my favorite now..

Nice shots!!!!

Enough of Tulamben now :) . Some more nudis or flatworms from other parts of Indonesia.

East Nusa Tenggara - Alor and Maumere.

Orange-edged Sapsucking Slug from Maumere by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Solar powered Phyllodesmium from Alor by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Nembrotha Kubaryana from Alor by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

North Sulawesi - Lembeh and Bangka.

Gymnodoris ceylonica from Lembeh by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Ceratosoma tenue from Lembeh by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Ceratosoma Trilobatum from Bangka by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Nembrotha Cristata from Bangka by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Chromodoris Kuniei from Lembeh by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Ribescia Tryoni from Lembeh by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

Then we have Indonesian nudibranches spotted in Ambon and Raja Ampat.

Indonesia - Ambon / Maluku :

Gymnodoris Rubropapulosa by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Chromodoris Leopardus with flying mantle by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

White Hypselodoris Bullocki by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Chromodoris Annae by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Chromodoris lochi by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Indonesia - Raja Ampat / West Papua :

Thecacera Picta by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Chromodoris Coi and Coi by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Hypselodoris Whitei by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Polyclad flatworm by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Back