Nubble 1 Jan New Years' Day Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a heads up if anyone is interested..FYI...some of us are planning on being at Nubble mid morning on New Years Day to go for a dip. Nothing officially planned and no shelter, food, etc. I hope to bring my little heated shelter and porta potty anyway. When you get older these become a necessity. This year I plan to go in wet. Hope to see others there. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Sounds like fun. Would love to make the trip but already have obligations that day. If they fall through I'll make the trip.

Is this still a go? Weather forecast calls for sun. Mid morning is low tide, though?

Actually low tide at Nubble is an advantage this time of year I think. You may not get the depth but you can see what's underfoot all the way down to the table rock at the waterline. For many years there has been a slimy purple moss [Cyanobacteria??] on the rocks this time of year. It is extremely slippery and dangerous. It wasn't there last year though in January if I remember right. I was at Nubble last weekend at high tide so I couldn't see what was underfoot waist deep where the stuff normally is but the footing was not slippery at all. I am hoping it is gone again this year. Another advantage of diving at low tide is that the rocks have dried out by the time the tide turns and it makes for a safer exit.

Also at low tide you can use the table rock to gear up on and lean against to get the fins on. I sometimes prefer low tide for this reason because I have a bad leg.

The weather forecast is calling for westerly winds Friday w/ 30 kt. gusts. Winds out of the W are good for Nubble but at high tide I think those gusts might work up the surge and turn the cove into a washing machine. At low the entry is more manageable because the surge is much lower down on the flat areas below the table rock and the waves don't bounce off the rocks giving that washing machine agitation. The wind topside might be a hassle when you exit --- 35* air w/ wind is chilly on the wet skin as you are undressing. Bring plenty of hot water to soak the fingers.

I was there last Saturday and dove wet and it was fine for 1 dive. Water was 45* -- viz 10-15'--mild surge

I plan on going with some others so there will be a few of us there. I plan to dive wet again. I definitely wouldn't do a second wet suit dive with that wind, but I have to get home in the afternoon for New Years' Day dinner anyway so I won't be hanging around. One of the big problems at nubble is that there are no bathroom facilities available. The nearest porta potty is at Long Sands. Bring your own like I do, or practice crossing your legs or wear pampers under your drysuit.

If you google the Fox Restaurant/Sohier Park divers web cam you can see the cove conditions at sunup + and see if you really think it is worth making a long trip or not, if that applies to you. I'd love to get there early to see the sunrise but that's doubtful.

Hope to see others that day enjoying the first dive of the new year.

So long as the wind doesn't flip around and come out of the N we should have a good dive on Friday.

Last edited:
Great day for a dive considering the time of year. Not quite Lake Nubble but not too far from it. Water was 44 above the thermocline....viz was 10-15'...very little surge. I dove wet and was fine for 30 minutes. Topside was mid 30's with little wind. Ice and a couple inches of snow on the walk down but manageable . Didn't see anyone fall. Welcome 2016 dive season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom