NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that excuse the lack of communication though?

I am not attempting to make excuses, I am simply not up to speed on those things.

Now you are either being silly or aggressive. Who said CDS was better than the others? How about the same? Happy now?
do you keep paying due to PADI or TDI or NAUI? what value are they providing?

While I can read through all these posts and find things I agree with being said by most, I'm still one of these guys who absolutely enjoys and looks forward to the NSS-CDS workshops. (Winter and summer) I was disappointed there wasn't one this past year, but of course understood with the damn virus going on.
Due to my usual work schedule, (although not the case now, again thanks to covid), I feel I can best volunteer to the CDS with my periodic photos and stories in the UWS. Which I've happily done for the CDS and NACD for the past 15 years. (And I look forward to continuing this for hopefully years to come.)
I renewed with the NSS last month, and asked again about paying for the CDS too, like we used to do. I was told that's not possible still, so I'll need to reach out to Adam Hughes again about it for the CDS. (And no, I don't want to create yet another account to access the member's section of the CDS website to do it there.)
Not to sound like a simpleton, but I really do look forward to the annual NSS-CDS workshop/seminar and hope we have one later this year.
Thanks Jim for bringing this up.

Gene

While I can read through all these posts and find things I agree with being said by most, I'm still one of these guys who absolutely enjoys and looks forward to the NSS-CDS workshops.
Reading your post made my day! I also love the workshops, but mostly being able to see peeps like Gene, who I miss seeing almost all year.

I have offered the NSS-CDS space right here on SB to do outreach and such. I helped them create a forum many years ago, but it's not in use at the present. I solicit Gene and all others to post their pictures here on SB for the diving community to see and be awed.

So I read the bylaws posted on the other thread. Ostensibly the purpose seems to be:
Have the conference
Publish quality cave diving materials like Exley's pamphlet and UWS
Manage Cow

There are thousands of cave divers (mostly tourist types) who only go to Mexico, or aren't interested in a BBQ/Conference in FL. And have never dove Cow. I agree with @tbone1004 here...

BTW I went through past meeting minutes and I have never seen such a vague effort at bookkeeping in my life.

@TBone, I am not sure what you are looking for. What expectations of this organization do you have? What would you like to see them do? What are you willing to do?

I have stated my position on this before, for both the NSS-CDS and the NACD before it turned into a huge pile of dung. If you have ideas, if you want more from these organizations, nothing is preventing you from running for the BOD and actually doing something other than whine. Spend your time, money and effort to actually affect some change. Who knows, you could be chairman of the board, arrange to get a couple of your lickspittle buddies elected, hire a attorney or two, and blow the entire thing up. Its been done.

Pay your dues, don't pay your dues, I don't care, CDS with either survive or not.

do you keep paying due to PADI or TDI or NAUI? what value are they providing?
I am not engaging further. Your mind is made up, as is the mind of others. I have no desire to tilt at windmills.
I was giving MY point of view. Take or leave it.

@TBone, I am not sure what you are looking for. What expectations of this organization do you have? What would you like to see them do? What are you willing to do?

I have stated my position on this before, for both the NSS-CDS and the NACD before it turned into a huge pile of dung. If you have ideas, if you want more from these organizations, nothing is preventing you from running for the BOD and actually doing something other than whine. Spend your time, money and effort to actually affect some change. Who knows, you could be chairman of the board, arrange to get a couple of your lickspittle buddies elected, hire a attorney or two, and blow the entire thing up. Its been done.

Pay your dues, don't pay your dues, I don't care, CDS with either survive or not.

I do with the NFSA and I have volunteered with the CDS in the past. When they actually plan to do something, ask for help, and then actually do it, I will be most happy to help. I'm going to follow the first rule of scuba though and not hold my breath...

I’ve got to say that I agre with Tom on this one. The cds really isn’t what it used to be. I currently have a free lifetime membership that’s good until who knows when the cds can fix their database issues. I wasn’t in the member list even though I was set for automatic renewal. It took 3 months and countless emails to try and figure it out. Nobody at the cds had a clue how to let me renew my membership and the only reason I had a membership was to dive cow. Finally Adam just said their database is so screwed up he doesn’t want to take my money for a lifetime membership, so he just put me down for a free lifetime membership until they figure their problems out.
So Basically I wanted to pay for a lifetime family membership since auto renewal never worked right but the cds system is so screwed up I basically was given free membership. Makes zero sense when I was pleading for them to please take my money. And it was disheartening how clueless anybody there was on how to make my request for a family membership work.

While I can read through all these posts and find things I agree with being said by most, I'm still one of these guys who absolutely enjoys and looks forward to the NSS-CDS workshops. (Winter and summer) I was disappointed there wasn't one this past year, but of course understood with the damn virus going on.
Due to my usual work schedule, (although not the case now, again thanks to covid), I feel I can best volunteer to the CDS with my periodic photos and stories in the UWS. Which I've happily done for the CDS and NACD for the past 15 years. (And I look forward to continuing this for hopefully years to come.)
I renewed with the NSS last month, and asked again about paying for the CDS too, like we used to do. I was told that's not possible still, so I'll need to reach out to Adam Hughes again about it for the CDS. (And no, I don't want to create yet another account to access the member's section of the CDS website to do it there.)
Not to sound like a simpleton, but I really do look forward to the annual NSS-CDS workshop/seminar and hope we have one later this year.
Thanks Jim for bringing this up.

Gene

You, me, and how many others can’t simply renew their membership? It’s pathetic. How much money is the cds losing in dues because they can’t accept memberships. It makes zero sense.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom