NSS-CDS Board of Directors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a concern.

If you look at the CDS website at the bottom of the main page you will see a banner ad for "Cavers' Cottage" which is a nice little place for cave divers to stay while here in cave country.

I too have a nice little place to stay here in Cave Country and a few months back decided I wanted to have my ad running there also.

After MULTIPLE e-mails with the entire BoD and some individual BoD members about placing this ad, I was never allowed to place my ad.

I find it very odd that one member is allowed to advertise short term lodging on the main page but another member is not.

No one on that BoD has been able to tell me why my ad is not allowed there.

How would we go about asking all the candidates to come in and comment on this thread?

E-mail them in a group e-mail and explain what you want would be my suggestion.

E-mail them in a group e-mail and explain what you want would be my suggestion.
I don't have that info, which is why I asked you and/or Ken to do the deed. It would probably mean more coming from you two as well. Far, far more.
No one on that BoD has been able to tell me why my ad is not allowed there.
Advertising here is so easy, even you can do it. :D :D :D

While I am at it I have another concern.

A week or so ago the NSS-CDS BoD voted to remove Renee Power as chair and replace her with Robby Brown, demoting Renee to "Member at Large".

I posted the question "Why was she removed" on the NSS-CDS Facebook page. A few people spoke up but no one from the BoD answered the question.

Fast Forward a few days and the entire question and all replies were deleted from the Facebook page.

Fast Forward a few days and the entire question and all replies were deleted from the Facebook page.
Surprise, surprise, surprise...

While I am at it I have another concern.

A week or so ago the NSS-CDS BoD voted to remove Renee Power as chair and replace her with Robby Brown, demoting Renee to "Member at Large".

I posted the question "Why was she removed" on the NSS-CDS Facebook page. A few people spoke up but no one from the BoD answered the question.

Good to see that the Rug and Broom Committee is functional.

I attempted to join NSS-CDS on January 1, 2021 as I'm getting back into cave diving. Back in the early 2000s, I was a NACD member. The first day of this year, I purchased a NSS-CDS regular membership for $20 plus a black t-shirt for $20. On January 19, the shirt hadn't shipped yet and my membership status said "There is no content assigned to this membership." I contacted Adam. He said he would "look into it and get back with you shortly." He didn't. I followed up on January 25. He again replied right away saying, "I am surprised to hear this hasn't arrived yet. I will look into and get back to you shortly." Again, no follow up. On February 2, I again emailed Adam while also copying Renee, Joe Citelli, and Brett Florian. That finally spurred some action although not what I was seeking. Rather than processing the membership and shipping the shirt, instead my entire $40 was refunded with an apology and a promise from Adam that, "I will still mail out the shirt you ordered, tonight. we will also comp a full year membership for you." The shirt never shipped. When I log onto the website, my membership status now says, "Cancelled." I have all this documented by email for anyone who cares to see it.

I have a masters degree in public administration. I currently manage a non-profit organization with 23,000 members. Ten years ago, the organization was at 2,100 disgruntled members when its Board asked me to step in and resolve its issues. So I have quite a bit of experience with non-profit administration. There's a two-fold problem with NSS-CDS. The first is with management not following through and using the promise of comp'd memberships to try and placate upset divers. That's not good for the organization. The larger problem is the lack of oversight by the current board. That often happens within organizations when popular figures who don't have the drive for change are in power. It kills organizations.

I'm on the membership list that Ken posted here. But am I actually a member of NSS-CDS? My dues were refunded. I'm receiving no communication from the organization. Despite Adam's promise of a comp'd membership, no membership information has been provided to me such as a member number online. I'd love to be a part of this organization. But it would be insane for me to renew on January 1, 2022.

people got oissed when I said Adam wasn’t following throught on things and I got alot of “he has a life give him a break” responses. I see he’s still not following through. Its fun to be told something will be done just to never hear from that person again.

The membership renewal issues are known by everybody, and yet we have Renee seeking reelection with a listed accomplishment of "NSS and CDS renewal more streamlined". To me that shows that this BOD member is out of touch with the general membership.

Of all the candidate's position statements, Sam Le Flore seems to be the only individual who has acknowledged that there is a problem with the membership database and renewal process.

when I emailed renee about my membership issues she was clueless and no help.

when I emailed renee about my membership issues she was clueless and no help.
Was she in charge of that?

Her position until recently was Chairman. In the Bylaws the Chair is assigned the following duty...

Supervise, direct and coordinate the vice chair, secretary, treasurer, program directors and administrative manager to achieve timely and efficient performance of their respective duties,

So yes, she was in charge of that.

IDK if she was in charge of it or not but she is who I was referred to. She tried to figure it out but was absolutely clueless and useless. She didn't even seem to understand there was an issue. Eventually she pushed me along to Adam who dropped the ball many times, then swore he temporarliy fixed it. Based on the member's list, it still isn't fixed. This after being told that he was literally sitting at his computer fixing it while we spoke on the phone.
I personally think every single board member/administrator should be removed and we get a fresh start. Even more, I think the CDS should stop being a training agency and move back to being a conservation agency. Or just cease to exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom