NSR: Mexico pharmacy regulations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I spent most of this summer in Mexico and were able to get controlled medications including zolpidem (comes in handy for those hard sometimes hard Mexican hotel beds when you need a good sleep) without proof of prescriptions. I'm sure the law might state you need a prescription but the reality is (from what we found) you walk into the pharmacy, you find the medication in their book on the counter, point to what you want, pay your cash and get what you want no questions asked.

The drug is sold in Mexico under the name Nocte or Stilnor I believe. it is a controlled substance in Mexico. Depending on where she is its possible she could go to a pharmacy with her US Rx and see if the can fill it(unlikely)or most likely give her a local doctors name who can see her and write out a script for Mexico. Off hand seems a lot of hassel for ambien.

According to my sources, it's called Stilnox there.

For most people, it probably would be too much hassle. For some, missing too much sleep can trigger other symptoms that can be life-threatening or life-altering.

I've already told her she'll need to find a local physician.

Either that, or just switch to beer for a couple of weeks. :cool:

That always puts me to sleep.

Beer + lithium = seriously bad mojo.

Beer may put you to sleep (it reduces sleep latency) but it probably actually has you getting less deep and more interrupted sleep (it also reduces sleep efficiency). Alcohol is a very poor hypnotic.

Back
Top Bottom