NSR: Mexico pharmacy regulations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a patient currently in Mexico for 2 weeks who left her medication at home.

I can get a written prescription to her (her office has an overnight package going to their Mexico DF office, so it might even get there overnight!).

The medication, zolpidem, is a controlled substance in the US (Schedule III, which means refills and phone prescription are permitted and most states honor out-of-state prescriptions). I have confirmed that it is available in Mexico, where I assume it's a controlled substance, too.

I haven't been able to find any information about Mexican pharmacy and prescribing regulations. Does anyone know if there's any point in my mailing her a prescription or if she's just going to have to find a local physician and hope they'll prescribe the same medication?

I've got a patient currently in Mexico for 2 weeks who left her medication at home.

I can get a written prescription to her (her office has an overnight package going to their Mexico DF office, so it might even get there overnight!).

If you tell your patient some of the brand-names, she might be able to just walk in and buy it.

Terry

And tell her the medications are no longer inexpensive. Two years a teeny inhaler with Seravent 200mg was $40.00

She will need to find the 'right' pharmacy as well. Most pharmacies in Mexico no longer carry all meds. Doc visits are inexpensive in Mexico, have her see a local. They will get her the prescription and point her to the correct pharmacy.

a prescription from a Dr. in the US is no good in Mexico.. if she needs to get prescription meds, she'll have to go see a Dr. in whatever city she is in to get the prescription and then go get her meds.

Depending on the resort, some have doctors on site to aide in this. Same thing happened to my mom and step-dad a couple of years ago. They just went down to the local pharmacy in Cancun, and got what they needed. It cost them, but there weren't any problems. I think they had their refills on the bottles.

Thanks, everyone.

If you tell your patient some of the brand-names, she might be able to just walk in and buy it.

I'm pretty sure that Mexico restricts the same controlled substances as the US and that a prescription would be required for this.

And tell her the medications are no longer inexpensive. Two years a teeny inhaler with Seravent 200mg was $40.00

Well, compared to a US discount price of $137.06 (for the only size they make), that actually is inexpensive.

Why can't the office include the meds in the package?

We're not a pharmacy, so we don't have any to send. It's a controlled substance, so nobody but the patient can fill the prescription at the local pharmacy.

a prescription from a Dr. in the US is no good in Mexico.. if she needs to get prescription meds, she'll have to go see a Dr. in whatever city she is in to get the prescription and then go get her meds.

That was what I figured - a Mexican prescription wouldn't carry any weight down at the local Rite-Aid, either.

Depending on the resort, some have doctors on site to aide in this. Same thing happened to my mom and step-dad a couple of years ago. They just went down to the local pharmacy in Cancun, and got what they needed. It cost them, but there weren't any problems. I think they had their refills on the bottles.

No resort. She's there on business. Looks as if she'll need to find a local physician as Driftwood suggested.

No resort. She's there on business. Looks as if she'll need to find a local physician as Driftwood suggested.

Either that, or just switch to beer for a couple of weeks. :cool:

That always puts me to sleep.

Terry

The drug is sold in Mexico under the name Nocte or Stilnor I believe. it is a controlled substance in Mexico. Depending on where she is its possible she could go to a pharmacy with her US Rx and see if the can fill it(unlikely)or most likely give her a local doctors name who can see her and write out a script for Mexico. Off hand seems a lot of hassel for ambien.

Back
Top Bottom