Now what? (need some advice)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others. It is important for her to be confident and not rely on you to set up her gear, check her air, etc. I have seen too many couples diving together where you would wonder if the woman is certified at all. I've also seen couples where the woman has to hold the man's hand the entire dive. She just needs to become more comfortable and confident in the water and if she is unable, then she shouldn't dive. Diving should be fun and not anxiety producing.

Thank you all very much for the replies, they are appreciated. There are some GREAT tips and recommendations for water exercises that she can do. She herself read through them and really wants to practice going to a pool and breathing through a snorkel, diving with her nose open to the water to learn airway control better and be more confident in the water.

She is expressing to me that she really wants to accomplish this and have fun with it, I've asked her a million times if I'm making her feel like she needs to do this for me and told her that I don't want to pressure her and that there's no rush, but she's already itching to get this down, to get more comfortable and to be a scuba diver. She definitely doesn't want to be the kind of partner that has to have everything done for her. One of her big concerns was that if she wasn't totally comfortable in the water yet she would not be able to save me as much as I can save her. She wants to be truly equal in this which I really respect.

Another thing to note is, while the instructor has been AMAZINGLY good the poor guy was working with a decent class and I believe his co-instructor was out sick for most of it, so he was trying to teach about 8 people at once where we could only go one weekends. It was definitely a fast paced course and she told me she feels like everything was just a bit too fast. I'm glad the instructor DID spend some 1 on 1 time with her, because that got her a lot further and built a lot more confidence in her.

I think, this looks to me like something to do with just taking things a little slower and more gradual.

Thank you all very much for the replies, they are appreciated. There are some GREAT tips and recommendations for water exercises that she can do. She herself read through them and really wants to practice going to a pool and breathing through a snorkel, diving with her nose open to the water to learn airway control better and be more confident in the water.

The bad news is, water up the nose isn't going away. The good news is you learn to not get it there often and tolerate it when you do get it. But still... Couple of days ago I did a deeper than usual push-off, got water and a bit of a block in my left ear and water in nose that made my eyes water and made the world smell like a mix of acetone and vinegar. I had to stop and clear my ears. 99.9% of the time I just ignore it and keep swimming, it's just a matter of practice.

Also, doing her certification dives (later on when she's ready) by referral in a tropical paradise could be something to consider: the vis and water temp are pool-like and the stress level's way down compared to cold murky lakes and quarries.

The bad news is, water up the nose isn't going away. The good news is you learn to not get it there often and tolerate it when you do get it. But still... Couple of days ago I did a deeper than usual push-off, got water and a bit of a block in my left ear and water in nose that made my eyes water and made the world smell like a mix of acetone and vinegar. I had to stop and clear my ears. 99.9% of the time I just ignore it and keep swimming, it's just a matter of practice.

Also, doing her certification dives (later on when she's ready) by referral in a tropical paradise could be something to consider: the vis and water temp are pool-like and the stress level's way down compared to cold murky lakes and quarries.

Hello all. I'm in desperate need of some advice. Me and my sweetheart got a coupon a bit over a year ago at a trade show for "Discover Scuba Diving" for free. We did the discovery dive and both really loved it. We mutually got interested and agreed it was something we would love to do together. We've been wanting to get our OWD certification for a year now and finally we got a great deal on it and went through with it. We got lucky as well and found a super nice, very patient and very good instructor. We studied extensively, put a ton of effort into it and passed all our written exams with flying colors.

I was raised around water, my sweetheart was not. I was raised surfing, being around the ocean and around water. Water doesn't scare me at all, I respect it and what it can do but I'm very comfortable in it and around it. My girlfriend however grew up in the desert and didn't have a lot of exposure to water. She is however, a fantastic swimmer. She passed the water treading and howevermany yards it was swim with flying colors, better even than me. The thing is, as the class went on she began having some troubles. First with equalizing, but then she got it down perfectly, but not being able to equalize the first day of pool training made her fall behind a bit. She was incredibly nervous to do the giant stride on the first day and wasn't able to. I'll admit, I was able but it was a bit nerve racking even for me. The second day she did the giant stride and did great at it, but during the second day again she began to fall behind. Some of the skills she completely aced. She did the regulator recovery at deep end, better even than I did it. She dialed in her buoyancy perfectly so quickly that I'm beginning to think she might be part mermaid.

There's a few skills however, she wasn't able to preform. The instructor was nice enough to do some one on one training with her on a fresh day, with just them in the pool. He's a super chill guy and me and her both agreed we lucked out on a really good instructor, but she was still very nervous. She tried to do the mask removal technique and panic'd a bit. She got water in her nose and shot back up to the surface. This was her third day, she got about 2/3rd's of the skills down and when she got them down, she really got them down. She did the giant stride for the third time and this time did so with confidence. I saw she kept improving, but she told me and the instructor that she was still very nervous. She said she was a bit scared to do the open water part, didn't want to panic 30' down and didn't want to risk my or her life in the process. The mask removal was what she was having the hardest time with.

After letting her know how much I love her and that no scuba diving nor anything else would ever change that, I asked her if I at all made her feel like she HAD to do this or was doing it for me. She expressed very sternly that I hadn't and that she wanted to do this together. She said she just doesn't feel comfortable enough yet in the water but said she doesn't want to give up her dream of doing it. During the class, I aced all my tests and aced all the pool exercises. I sit ready to go do the open water final dives this weekend. She asked me to please go through with it or it would make her very sad and that she wants badly to see me do this. She also expressed that after being around it a bit, spending more time in a pool if even free diving and being around water more, that she hopes to be comfortable enough soon enough to retry it all again. She seems very bummed and it hurts me to see her not be able to accomplish this, she really wanted to see a sea turtle up close (she sadly drew one when she got home lol).

Of course, this leaves me a bit dazed and confused. I do want to continue on with this, but I don't want to ever leave her out of anything. Me and her are best friends, we are very close, we've been together for years and always do things together. It's our dynamic, it works for us and we are always happy in life together, it just works for us. I don't want to leave her out of this or leave her behind. The instructor, she herself and a family member of mine seemed to all agree that I should go ahead, complete the course and get certified, that way IF she becomes comfortable enough and decides to do this, I'll already be ready myself and might can even go down with the instructor to help with moral support and assistance underwater.

I'm fine with this, I'm down for it but of course I'm nervous. My built in dive buddy has now vanished. The instructor agreed to be my dive buddy for the open water portion but then what? I won't have a buddy. I've heard diving solo is extremely dangerous, especially for a new diver. I've also heard that NOBODY wants a new diver as their buddy unless it's a family member or close friend and they have a reason to. I'm also not in the mood to go out and meet people on the fly who may or may not be cool with how I dive with them. So that's the problem I'm facing. Without her, how will I gain any experience?

Also, have you folks ever heard of something similar happening before? If she's around me when I go do it, gets around the water and ocean more, gets around the culture more, spends more time practicing in the pool is it possible that she will become comfortable and confident enough to finish those last skills out? I believe the instructor said she has a good 5 months or so that she doesn't have to redo what she's already done, just schedule a time to finish what she hasn't IF and WHEN she's ready, but do you folks think such a time will come? Again, just curious if anyone has seen or heard of such a thing happening before. And again, she keeps mentioning how she doesn't want to give up on it, she's just not comfortable doing things like the mask removal at depth right now.

So yeah, any advice is so much greatly appreciated, thank you kindly.

I've also heard that NOBODY wants a new diver as their buddy unless it's a family member or close friend and they have a reason to. I'm also not in the mood to go out and meet people on the fly who may or may not be cool with how I dive with them. So that's the problem I'm facing. Without her, how will I gain any experience?

I don't mind diving with noobs. I like meeting new people and sharing in their first experiences underwater. I've been diving since the late '80s, and a PADI rescue diver since about '91, and I've spent lots of time with inexperienced divers. I have no hesitation going down with someone who is just starting out, and I seriously doubt that makes me special. Just relax and keep breathing. Everything else will fall into place.

Re water in the nose. Practise blocking (closing off) the airway from the nose and from the mouth. Using the internal soft pallets, etc. Mix up doing this. get used to not allowing any air to go past the nostrils. Then do it in water. I've heard you can still get water to go into the nose passages (& down the throat, etc.) if, and only if you then tip your head WAY back when diving. Water will of course always go in the nostrils when maskless--ignore it, can't hurt you.

She is expressing to me that she really wants to accomplish this and have fun with it, I've asked her a million times if I'm making her feel like she needs to do this for me and told her that I don't want to pressure her and that there's no rush, but she's already itching to get this down, to get more comfortable and to be a scuba diver. She definitely doesn't want to be the kind of partner that has to have everything done for her. One of her big concerns was that if she wasn't totally comfortable in the water yet she would not be able to save me as much as I can save her. She wants to be truly equal in this which I really respect.

Another thing to note is, while the instructor has been AMAZINGLY good the poor guy was working with a decent class and I believe his co-instructor was out sick for most of it, so he was trying to teach about 8 people at once where we could only go one weekends. It was definitely a fast paced course and she told me she feels like everything was just a bit too fast. I'm glad the instructor DID spend some 1 on 1 time with her, because that got her a lot further and built a lot more confidence in her.

I think, this looks to me like something to do with just taking things a little slower and more gradual.

Sounds like the instructor was hard pushed on the course with regards to the numbers and of course not everyone can assimilate the skills at the same rate so sometimes people drift behind.

A little practise (and possibly some 1 on 1 time with a DM or instructor) sounds like all she needs as she definitely sounds enthusiastic enough.

Sounds like the instructor was hard pushed on the course with regards to the numbers and of course not everyone can assimilate the skills at the same rate so sometimes people drift behind.

A little practise (and possibly some 1 on 1 time with a DM or instructor) sounds like all she needs as she definitely sounds enthusiastic enough.

Yeah, it was a big class and just him, the other instructor was sick. He did an excellent job, but one person can only do so much with so many people. He was nice enough afterward to offer me and my girlfriend some one on one to help us along. Very cool guy.

Yeah, it was a big class and just him, the other instructor was sick. He did an excellent job, but one person can only do so much with so many people. He was nice enough afterward to offer me and my girlfriend some one on one to help us along. Very cool guy.

Please let us know how she gets on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom