Now What Do I Do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went in to LDS today to order a steel tank. After research, I thought I would do a HP 120. Talked to the LDS and they recommend I do an LP108. Now, they are ordering whatever I order so they are not trying to sell what they have in the shop. They said HP's are not always filled to pressure so you get shorted. They say it is easy to get a complete fill on an LP and that you get more then rated so you get a good deal of air.

They also told me I would have to get an adapter for my regulator because you need that for an HP tank. Not sure what that is all about. Really would like some of you experienced folks to chime in on this. I have read that it is better to buy an HP and have it underfilled. It is smaller and you have the ability to get the full fill when it is really needed.

Any thoughts on all of this will be greatly appreciated.

Do a search - lots of discussion on the LP vs HP.

As for the adapter on HP they are refering to using a DIN rather than a Yoke. DIN is more secure but folks use a yoke on HP tanks as well. Also mucho discussion.

GLENFWB:
Went in to LDS today to order a steel tank. After research, I thought I would do a HP 120. Talked to the LDS and they recommend I do an LP108. Now, they are ordering whatever I order so they are not trying to sell what they have in the shop. They said HP's are not always filled to pressure so you get shorted. They say it is easy to get a complete fill on an LP and that you get more then rated so you get a good deal of air.

They also told me I would have to get an adapter for my regulator because you need that for an HP tank. Not sure what that is all about. Really would like some of you experienced folks to chime in on this. I have read that it is better to buy an HP and have it underfilled. It is smaller and you have the ability to get the full fill when it is really needed.

Any thoughts on all of this will be greatly appreciated.

At 3000 PSI the HP120 holds about 105 cf and the LP108 holds a bit over 120 cf. The LP108 is about 5 lbs heavier than the HP120. LP108 is 8" around, HP120 is 7.25". LP108 is 26" long, HP120 is 28". For me it would come down to the following. First, can you expect good fills (be that fills to 3500 for the HP cylinder, or 3000 or above for the LP)? I know here in MA, it's nearly impossible to find shops willing to overfill LP cylinders, so HP makes a lot of sense (fills on HP cylinders tend to be around 3300). Second, what are you paying for the cylinders? You can tend to find much better deals of LP cylinders. As for converting your reg to DIN, it's something I'd do regardless of type of cylinder. My HP100s and my LP85s are all DIN.

Thank you for this information. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wasn't sure what the CF would be on an HP 120 only filled to 3000. It really seems to me that the HP 120 is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Rainer:
At 3000 PSI the HP120 holds about 105 cf and the LP108 holds a bit over 120 cf. The LP108 is about 5 lbs heavier than the HP120. LP108 is 8" around, HP120 is 7.25". LP108 is 26" long, HP120 is 28". For me it would come down to the following. First, can you expect good fills (be that fills to 3500 for the HP cylinder, or 3000 or above for the LP)? I know here in MA, it's nearly impossible to find shops willing to overfill LP cylinders, so HP makes a lot of sense (fills on HP cylinders tend to be around 3300). Second, what are you paying for the cylinders? You can tend to find much better deals of LP cylinders. As for converting your reg to DIN, it's something I'd do regardless of type of cylinder. My HP100s and my LP85s are all DIN.

GLENFWB:
Thank you for this information. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wasn't sure what the CF would be on an HP 120 only filled to 3000. It really seems to me that the HP 120 is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Glad to help, but the conversions are just simple algebra. If the tank holds 120 at 3442, and you want to know how much (x) it holds at 3000, then just solve for x [(120x3000)/3442].

Living in North Florida, I'd buy the LP108 in a heartbeat. In fact, I'll be ordering 4 this fall. The HP120 buys you nothing extra. And do yourself a favor, covert to DIN and be done with it. Much better system than yoke anyway. None of the problems and tons of benefits.

Gotta agree with Perrone on this one. I have two HP 80's that i wish I'd not bought. Yeah I got a good deal but they are too short for doubles the way I trim out anyway, they need 3442 to get 80 cuft of gas( not a problem at our shop). My 72's need 2800 to get 81 cuft. Also not a problem at my the shops I use. They do "good" fills. Not quite cave fills but good enough. I just ordered a set of lp85's to go with my 72's and the set of lp95's I have as well. After checking the buoyancy characteristics as well as capacity I don't see myself ever buying HP tanks again. In fact if anyone would like to trade a pair of lp85's 95's or even a set of 72's in good shape for these 80's drop me a PM and we'll see what we can work out.

PerroneFord:
Living in North Florida, I'd buy the LP108 in a heartbeat. In fact, I'll be ordering 4 this fall. The HP120 buys you nothing extra. And do yourself a favor, covert to DIN and be done with it. Much better system than yoke anyway. None of the problems and tons of benefits.

What about more air when completely filled and less weight with the same amount of air, even if they don't fill them all the way? That is an honest question...I am trying to get as much air as I can while maybe saving some weight...that trip across to the jetties seems to get longer and longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom