now tourism is dead!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... but for the life of me i cant see what problem this new ruling was designed to solve ...
I´ve read the theory somewhere that this is mainly targeted to screen incoming travellers during the pre-election time. The government has already said that they don´t want too many independent jounalists and no election observers here. That´s (maybe) a way to stop them from coming. The applications could be screened at the embassies for unwanted applicants. This could not be done at the airports by the average immigration officer since there is no computer system in place. If that is really implemented, I am sure it will be revoked after the election. Of course, they can´t publically give that as a reason because it would raise even more suspicion about the legality of the elections.

I have to agree with Solly. What goes around comes around. It takes my Egyptian Military students several months to get US visas and they have been here numerous times. This is a great opportunity for some enterprising Egyptian to start a Visa assistance service. Done correctly could mean big bucks.
The un-welcome mat that the US rolled out ten years ago has cost the country billions of dollars in lost tourism revenue and countless lost jobs--neither of which it can afford right now. I am certain that Egypt is even less able to afford such a loss.

Last edited:
Where did you get this answer from?!

If you question String´s post, can you please enlighten us about the security threads posed by independent travellers?
I really fail to see what harm could come from those millions of independent travellers that don´t book through the big agencies.

If you question String´s post, can you please enlighten us about the security threads posed by independent travellers?
I really fail to see what harm could come from those millions of independent travellers that don´t book through the big agencies.

Clearly all spies book flights independently on Easyjet and not via a tour operator therefore are evil and must be destroyed.
Nobody would dream of booking a charter seat or even lying on the visa application. Or planning their spying visits 2-3 weeks in advance to get it processed.

Of course, its not impossible backsheesh has been paid by tour operators. The country still works almost entirely on the bribery system.

OK, I just got a call from a usually very reliable source:

After contacting the bureau of the primeminister as well as that of the minister of the interior, both denied any truth to this planned changes. They firmly stated that they never had any such plans and never authorized any such information to be given to the media. The spokesperson, that was quoted in the media as giving this information, allegedly can not be found in the moment to comment.

So, it seems there was much discussion and many worries about nothing, if this latest information proves to be correct. Hopefully we can then continue to worry only about the problems we already really have...

How many million egyptian travel to europe each year for vacation and spend billions of Euro there? Oh, sorry, 90% (of the few hundred every year) want to have visas to work there and to make money - not spend it! You have the same right as an egyptian to work in Europe as europeans have to work in Egypt. Find a job and apply for a work permit. If your qualified enough, you will get one! It´s really that simple...

Egypt has set itself up as a major tourist detination for decades! They wanted tourists to come and spend money, create jobs etc. So they made it easy to enter the country. Same for Spain and France, Italy and other european contries. They do not have the same rules, as you imply. They have lots of tourists and for all those countries that send millions of tourists things are extremely easy. There is not even a border control within Europe anymore. In Europe, you just leave one country and enter another without even noticing it much. If Egypt had millions of tourists going to Europe, there would be an easy proceedure as well, be assured of that!

So the situation is incomparable in many ways.
It´s basically very simple: You want tourism from certain countries - you make travel easy for them.
You restrict travel - you won´t get much tourism.
People don´t want any hassle, inconveniences or headaches when planning a holiday trip. They want to feel wanted and welcome! Both of which they are no longer feeling in Egypt!

Your logic in not logic at all, I am not discussing benefits and losses of a decision.. I am just discussing equality which you are weighing by the amount of money spent.... I am sorry, why were all foreign instructors unhappy when Egypt asked to legalize their situation and not work with a tourist visa ???? ain't this the same situation you are saying that 90% of Egyptian visa applicants want to do?

So the latest news on the thread say that this is all a hoax although I heard it on the news on national TV, but anyway whether true or false and whether I personally support or not or even see some bright side and a dark side... I think any decision taken by my government should be respected and those who want to come are more than welcomed as long as they know the rules they have to follow same like heading to anywhere else in the world....

Your logic in not logic at all, I am not discussing benefits and losses of a decision.. I am just discussing equality which you are weighing by the amount of money spent
There is a big difference between wanting to visit a country to make money or to spend it there!
If a country decides that tourism should play a huge part in the national income, then it is shere stupidity to raise the hurdles to enter. This has nothing to do with equality, it´s a question of common sense. Your example of Spain and other was besides the point because they have almost no hurdles for countries that send millions of tourists, but higher ones for those that want to work there. If Egypt wanted now to raise the hurdles not only for jobseekers, but also for tourists, the first is their absolute right (eqaulity!) and logical, the second is BS...
.... I am sorry, why were all foreign instructors unhappy when Egypt asked to legalize their situation and not work with a tourist visa ???? ain't this the same situation you are saying that 90% of Egyptian visa applicants want to do?
No, it´s not the same, because we are talking about a couple of hundred foreign (diving) jobseekers vs. a couple of million tourists spending billions coming to Egypt, whereas in Europe we have a couple of thousand jobseekers from Egypt every year vs. almost no money spending tourists.
I was never complaining about legalizing the work situation - I was complaining about the way it is done! In the case of diving centers, where language skills are one of the most important qualification, there should be a system in place that recognizes that. You can not treat all areas of the economy the same, because they are not! Forcing a divecenter to employ 10 egyptians for one foreigner is simply unrealistic. No center that needs only two foreigners with certain language skills needs 20 egyptians to work there. It´s just not doable! These divecenters have no way out of this situation, for them there is no solution. They now can never legally employ foreigners at all. The government must give small centers a chance to survive and not kill them off after they have invested a lot of money in this country. That´s just not fair!

So the latest news on the thread say that this is all a hoax although I heard it on the news on national TV, but anyway whether true or false and whether I personally support or not or even see some bright side and a dark side... I think any decision taken by my government should be respected and those who want to come are more than welcomed as long as they know the rules they have to follow same like heading to anywhere else in the world....

I read in another forum that also on TV this plan/idea was declared untrue. There are conflicting stories out right now.
And, yes, decisions should be respected, but that does not mean they can´t be criticized, nor does it mean they are right!
And the government must make an important decision: Does Egypt want to still be a heavy player in the tourism industry, or not? If so, they must guarantee the legal infrastructure to play with the other big guns in the world. They must recognize the needs if this industry accordingly!
Laws should make sense and not just be a political powertool to further ideological motives. Laws should reflect and deal with the situation as it is, and not ignore realities. Laws should benefit the people and not jeopardize their daily lives. Laws should protect the majority of the people, secure their existence, further their developement and not secure, protect and further the interests of a few on top with their own agenda!

I do not think we are heading anywhere with this discussion, I am not convinced with your logic and you are not with mine...

I read in another forum that also on TV this plan/idea was declared untrue. There are conflicting stories out right now.
And, yes, decisions should be respected, but that does not mean they can´t be criticized, nor does it mean they are right!

Totally agree with you.
And the government must make an important decision: Does Egypt want to still be a heavy player in the tourism industry, or not? If so, they must guarantee the legal infrastructure to play with the other big guns in the world. They must recognize the needs if this industry accordingly!
Laws should make sense and not just be a political powertool to further ideological motives. Laws should reflect and deal with the situation as it is, and not ignore realities. Laws should benefit the people and not jeopardize their daily lives. Laws should protect the majority of the people, secure their existence, further their development and not secure, protect and further the interests of a few on top with their own agenda!

Again I agree with you, however you are talking from a narrow perspective of people you deal with on daily basis, I here have to agree with Redseashadow that being outside the tourism circle makes one see things from a different perspective. This is not with or against the decision, let me just say that even if a decision like this is taken and will be applied, suitable measures and workflow has to be defined to the deepest details to ensure that the goal from such a decision (whatever it is) will be reached and in the same time the new scheme wouldn't be a huge overhead for tourism so as to keep being a heavy player as you call it and in the same time have minimum effect on people working in that field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom