November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 11/23/2004
Dive Location: Marine Room Canyon
Time: 18:48
Bottom Time: 48:05
Max Depth: 93ft
Avg Depth: 40ft
Vis: 15-20
Wave height: knee to chest, no force behind them
Temp at depth: 60
Surface Temp: 60
Tide information: high tide
Comments:

Sean, Paul and I met at the stairs at Marine Room and suited up. This was a checkout dive for my new used old dry suit. It LOOKS WORKED OVER, faded, scuffed and tired but it had good seals and a new zipper so I thought I would see if it actually keeps the water on the right side of the suit.

We all geared up and started the leisurely kick out on a general southwest bearing. Sean had his trusty depth finder so we knew we had reached the canyon edge as the bottom dropped away. Finalizing our dive plan, we descended and headed south down the slopping bottom.

First thing we find is a fringehead out in the detritus pile. Just gellin like a felon. Sean took pic after pic while I watched on in envy. No camera for me this dive as it was a check out dive for the suit and I try and limit my tasking loading on these occasions.

Moving on down the canyon south along the sloping bottom we found many Sculpin of varying sizes and species. There were lots of octopus out tonight including a large two spot that changed colors and textures faster than should be possible. More pictures were taken and we continued our exploration. We moved up the wall and found many strange and wondrous things. Juvenile banded guitar fish, a scorpion fish smaller than Paul's thumb, the largest lizard fish I have ever seen at about 14". lots of rubble in the form of anchors, both boat and buoy varieties, some with the rope still attached and covered with club tipped anemones. Life was everywhere. Lobster were everywhere. Large and small and on the move. We practiced our skills at plucking them off the bottom and then releasing them like rockets out into the blackness beyond our lights.

All too soon it was time to head back to the beach and we kicked into about 10 ft of water right in front of the stairs. Great navigation on Sean and Paul's part.

No surf as we made the surface swim in and we were surprised to find ourselves in 4 ft of water when we stood up. Moving back into deeper water I removed my fins and made the casual stroll back to the car to change clothes. Peeling off the drysuit, I was pleased to find I was dry. :D

Shaking hands and patting backs, I left Sean and Paul to their second dive and I headed home to do paperwork and clean gear.

Great night of diving with good friends.

Terry

divinman:
Date: 11/23/2004
Dive Location: Marine Room Canyon

This was a checkout dive for my new used old dry suit. It LOOKS WORKED OVER, faded, scuffed and tired but it had good seals and a new zipper so I thought I would see if it actually keeps the water on the right side of the suit....

...Peeling off the drysuit, I was pleased to find I was dry. :D
Congrats on your successful test dive! I've got to get myself one of those someday.

Christian

Photo Dive Report:

Had a great dive with Terry and Paul. Terry covered most the info in his report, but on the way in we ran across several lobsters walking around. These guys were so calm I was able to pick 2 of them up and put them on my hands. No photos, you'll have to believe me :)

photos:

http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/marineroom11232004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Date: 11/23/04
Dive Location: Yukon, San Diego
Time: 10:41 a.m.
Bottom Time: 38
Max Depth: 97 feet
Vis: 15-20 feet
Wave height: none, slight swell
Temp at depth: 59 degrees
Surface Temp: 61 degrees

Comments: Went out on the HydroDiver with the previous owner. This was my first wreck dive and it was great! Very eery dropping down and then all of the sudden have the vague outline of the wreck come into my vision. It wouldn't have surprised me to see a skeleton (like in the Pirates of the Carribean) lean out of the wreck. Great way to spend the day playing hookey from work.

Date: 11/23/04
Dive Location: The Tower, San Diego
Time: 1:04 pm
Bottom Time: 35 minutes
Max Depth: 57 feet
Vis: 10-15 feet
Wave height: none, slight sweel
Temp at depth: 59 degrees
Surface Temp: 61 degrees

Comments: Neat dive. It was fun to swim through all the tower's structures.

Date: 11/24/04
Dive Location: North Wall-La Jolla Shores
Time: 15:05
Bottom Time: 50:55
Max Depth: 80
Surface Temp: 62
Water temp at Depth: 48
Vis: 15-20
Wave height: Mild

Comments:

Day one of the vacation had me down at the shores for an afternoon dive with John and Roy. We geared up and headed out past the lifeguard tower and into the easy surf. Once past the breakers we expected the swell to lesson. We were wrong. 3-5 ft swells pushed at us we kicked out on the surface. It was quite the workout but we finally made it to our line up points and John verified we were over the peninsula with his hand depth gauge. The irony of course being that I recommended them to Sean and John and I still don't have one. Depth on the gauge showed us right at 80 ft and we completed final checks and dropped below the surface. A milky sea awaited as we descended toward the invisible bottom below. At 50ft the visibility opened up to a respectable 15-20ft and the canyon edge was clear to see before us. Giving the big OK we headed over to the cliff and started our exploration North along the wall. Lots of life out today. A large school of Jack Mackerel glided past the wall as we move along. Lobster, some quite large, peered at us from the cracks and brittle stars waved at the passing parade of divers. Scorpion fish and ling cod were seen. Large schools of juvenile blacksmiths hovered just above the canyon rim. Rockfish and Sculpin rounded out the dive nicely and just for something different we found a small two spot octopus tucked into a hole. Twas a glorious day to be underwater. Oh, and I was dry so the the 48 degree water didn't bother me much at all. :eyebrow:

Turning back south east we made our open water swim back to the inland side of the wall. You have to have faith in your compass and keep and eye on your depth as the crossing takes you over the 125ft drop and the bottom disappears below you. It only takes a few minutes to make the crossing but I am always relieved to see the far wall come into view.

The return trip over the sand was uneventful save a loan pipefish and a few stingrays. Roy practiced deploying an SMB and then we returned to the beach for a quick rinse and some chat about the dive.

Great dive, good friends, awesome day.

Terry

divinman:
Nicely done Jennifer. So where are your sunset pics??

Terry

OK, here are 2 from the Wrinkles Dive...

Jennifer

sapphire:
OK, here are 2 from the Wrinkles Dive...

Jennifer

Very nice Sunset Jennifer!!!

Lake Pacific was calling to me this morning. There were no waves to speak of at Marineland, so I decided to enter from the rocks on the south side of the property. Just because there were no waves doesn't mean you can't slip on a wet rock. I dropped a Jetfin, but due to the excellent water clarity I was able to see it under the surface. I kicked out on the surface to the deeper reefs at 70+ feet. Visibility here was close to 40 feet. I found a Lingcod tangled up in a piece of netting, so I whipped out my trusty shears and freed him. He swam a few feet away and settled in the sand, so I was able to get one picture of him. While putting my shears away I realized that I had forgotten to put my camera lanyard back on my wrist. After a slow ascent and surface recovery I continued toward the cove. There were juveniles of all sorts darting around, including Garibaldi, Sheephead, Blacksmith and Senoritas. While looking around at the reef instead of looking forward I came upon a Batray in the sand. I stopped so I wouldn't disturb him, but it was too late. I got off one shot before he swam away.
When the conditions are this good, Marineland rivals any site on the front side of Catalina.
Bottom time: 86 minutes
Visibility: 30-40 feet
Temp: 60F, very nice for Marineland.
Pics at
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/647

Date:11/24/04
Dive Location: Palos Verdes
Time: 7pm
Bottom Time: 70 minutes
Max Depth: 35 feet
Vis: 15’ – 20ft
Wave height: 2-3 feet
water Temp: 54deg

Date:11/24/04
Dive Location: Redondo Canyon
Time: 8:30pm
Bottom Time:20 minutes
Max Depth: 150 feet
Vis: 20+ft
Wave height: 2-3 feet
water Temp: 48deg

I took a couple of friends over to the Rocky point area for some lobster diving. I told them the lobsters have been way up shallow 15ft and under so I dropped them off in 25ft. There dive lasted about 70min and they said they saw alot of lobsters but they were back in holes and they ended up with 2 and 4 lobsters.

Water was cold at 54 degrees
Vis was great with 20ft vis

On the way in I did my dive in the canyon and after 20 I had my limit with the biggest around 3 lbs. The two guys were surpised I did so well but I told them years of practice and knowing the area helps alot.

I ended up giving away 3 lobsters to the guys I took out and 4 lobsters to a friend that was kayaking/hoop'n in the harbor but had no luck. I knew they all wanted lobster for Thanksgiving so hopefully they will have a good lobster dinner with there Turkey.

My canyon dive is always colder with 46degree water but wide open vis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom