November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive #1 - went to Malibu Road with Jim McCabe, I'll see if he writes up a dive report, we had an awesome dive.

Dive #2 - THE GREAT DIVE THAT JIM ALMOST HAD

Date: 11/26/04
Dive Location: Sequit Point, Leo Carillo, Malibu
Time: 12:10PM
Bottom Time: 71 minutes
Max Depth: 38 feet
Vis: 20 feet, 25 in some places
Wave height: 1 feet
water Temp: 59 deg

Jim McCabe and I were at Leo, stating to suit up for our 2nd dive, when he got a call telling him to come home. So I had to go solo, and what a dive Jim missed! Didn't bring my camera, so everyone will have to take my word.

Dropped down into 8 feet (yes, eight) of water, schooling perch everywhere, a giant kelpfish to my left, a cabezon to the right (both in the open), and a flutter of something that went behind a rock.. could it be, yes! A free-swimming octopus. I went to the other side of the rock, gave him my hand, he gently wrapped himself around my hand and arm; I scratched his arms and head for him, and we checked each other out in the open for about 10 minutes. Even when free to escape, he only travelled a few feet, and then settled down in the open and let me stroke him again.

Fast forward 10 minutes - I'm in the sand, moving slowly, and I look up, and a 4 1/2 foot bat ray is laying in the sand, 24 inches from my face. I move closer, and we are now face-to-face, 1 foot apart! He slowly turns and swims away, circling around, and then lies down again. I repeat the process, coming right next to him, gently petting him before he slowly takes off. What a trooper!

Schools of opaleye, rainbow sea-perch, rubberlip sea-perch, croakers, blacksmith and pile perch filled the thick kelp forest. A family of large chestnut cowries nuzzled together in a crevice. Outside the kelp forest, on the sand, I looked below me, and there was a 3 1/2 foot halibut, unburied. I backed-up, lied down in front of him, and slowly inched forward. He let me scratch his chin for a few seconds before slowly moving away to a nearby spot. Another trooper.

I also spotted an acanthodoris lutea during the dive, my first one.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=acanlute

Another cabezon was spotted, along with two unidentified homo sapiens, another giant kelpfish, a spanish shawl, some lobster, and a lemon nudibranch. And the usual suspects. What a great dive! It would have been better if Jim made it, but he had to go. Such beautiful red colors in the shallows (7-20 feet), the sun was shining bright. A good day to dive!

Scott

Date: 11/26/04
Dive Location: Malibu, Gorgonian Rocks
Time: 10:00 am
Bottom Time: 52:50
Max Depth: 41 feet
Vis: 20-25 ft.
Wave height: 1-2 ft.
Temp at depth: 59 F
Surface Temp: 61 F water, 61 F air
Tide information: High
Comments: I met Scottfiji at Malibu Divers, and we headed over to Gorgonian Rocks. The weather was incredible, clear, sunny, and much warmer than I expected. The ocean was like a lake, with only ankle-slappers breaking. Well, maybe a little bigger, but not much. For the first time I saw NO SURFERS at Malibu Beach. Wow. I had never seen such small surf in Malibu. We geared up, made an easy entry, and kicked out into about 30ft. of water. Visibility on the way out was CLEAR. After a couple of minutes rest we dropped down. I should have rested a bit longer, since I was still breathing a little heavy from the surface swim, so I descended, took a big gulp of air, then ascended. DOH !!! After bouncing a couple of times I dropped down into an expanse of sand. We headed out, and came upon a beautiful reef. This was an excellent dive site, and Scott gave me a great tour and introduction to a bunch of stuff I’d never seen before. He's got that marine biology background, so he told me the names for everything. We saw more nudibranchs than I’d ever seen before. And bigger than I'd ever seen before. Maybe 4 or 5 spanish shawls and a lemon nudibranch, most of them sitting out in the sand all by themselves. Not sure why they hang out in the middle of nowhere, or how they get there. Also, I was amazed by the gorgeous fluorescent navanax (I’d never seen one before) that were about 4-5 inches long. Very cool. Scott tried to have a spanish shawl and a navanax get it on. They weren't in the mood.

There were quite a few very large sheephead (maybe 2 ft.?), and a very large 3ft. halibut (well, maybe not 3 ft., but close). There was also a small bat ray (was it a bat ray, Scott?). It got scared and covered itself in sand. Wimp. There was also a field of sea pens, which look like fuzzy pipe cleaners (you younger folks ask your grandpa what a pipe cleaner is). As soon as you grab them, they retract into their holes. Cool. There were also some octopuses and lobsters hiding in their cracks, a black eyed goby, globe crabs, schools of seniorita and sargo, lots of elbow crabs, a moon snail, and probably a bunch of other stuff I can’t recall or can’t name. Oh yeah, garibaldi (including some juveniles) up the bazoo.

On the way back we headed towards shore, getting progressively shallower, scanning the sand, doing a travelling safety stop. Throughout the dive I was certain that I was breathing much heavier than normal. Surprisingly, at the end of the dive I found out that my SAC rate for this dive was my best so far (0.51). Hard to figure. Of course, a good SAC rate doesn't make up for a 2500psi fill from an unnamed Laguna Beach dive shop. Yikes, that has to be a record for a low fill, no?

This had to be one of my all time favorite dives. We were THIS CLOSE (I'm holding up my thumb and forefinger) to making a second dive, this time at Sequit Point, but I had to get back for a belated Thanksgiving with Myrna and the kids. My apologies to Scott for having to bail, and profuse thanks for showing me such a wonderful spot.

mccabejc:
Dive Location: Malibu, Gorgonian Rocks
Very cool. Scott tried to have a spanish shawl and a navanax get it on. They weren't in the mood.

There was also a small bat ray (was it a bat ray, Scott?). It got scared and covered itself in sand. Wimp. than normal. Surprisingly, at the end of the dive I found out that my SAC rate for this dive was my best so far (0.51). Hard to figure. .

Jim, thanks for coming. I wanted the navanax to EAT the spanish shawl, not for them to get it on! The ray was a thornback ray. Seeing it bury itself right in front of us was the coolest thing! it was like it was a tasmanian devil in the sand.. the low SAC rate was from our relaxed pace probably..next time we search for free-swimming octopus!

Scott

Date:Nov 26, 2004
Dive Location: Leo Carrillo North
Time: 3:36 p.m.
Bottom Time: 63:30
Max Depth: 23 feet
Vis: 20-30
Wave height: 1 foot (maybe)
Temp at depth: 59 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 63 Suunto degrees
Tide information: 3:54 pm -0.44 Low tide; 8:35 p.m. 3.55 high tide
Comments:
Lake Pacific conditions. Met with Andy, David and Ben for a nice after Thanksgiving dive. Entered in front of the restroom and swam out a bit dropped down at the edge of the kelp and went West South West. Saw lots of box jelly fish swimming about and tons of senorita fish. The sun setting through the kelp was beautiful. Visibility was great with good water clarity.

scottfiji:
Jim, thanks for coming. I wanted the navanax to EAT the spanish shawl, not for them to get it on!

Yeah, I know. But I didn't want everyone to think you were a cold blooded nudibranch killer :D

Date: November 27, 2004
Dive Location: Frontside Catalina
Temps: 63-64 F even at 80 ft

Despite the steep tides that you'd expect with a just-past-full moon, we found no currents and 80 ft+ vis at Ship Rock when the Sundiver pulled up Saturday morning. Several tech friends did a deco dive to 150 ft while my rec buddy and I circumnavigated the rock at 82 ft and shallower. Cool view of a sea lion chasing a school of mackerel. Also a large octopus. There were baby bluebanded gobies everywhere -- this must be just after their birthing season.

For the second dive, Ray took us to the site of a 31-ft powerboat that abruptly sunk in high winds the previous weekend. During the week he was helping the owners salvage what they could. The main part of the hull, in just 12 ft of water, is pretty broken up. Divers on Ray's open boats both Friday and Saturday got a chance to see it first-hand. Buddy found a paper nautilus, and we were buzzed at one point by a harbor seal passing below us. Vis 30-40 ft.

Third dive was a quick dunk at Little Geiger, during which the wind picked up and it started to drizzle, so homeward bound we went.

Frank O:
For the second dive, Ray took us to the site of a 31-ft powerboat that abruptly sunk in high winds the previous weekend. During the week he was helping the owners salvage what they could.

Frank,

I am glad you mentioned that Ray was helping the owners. Somewhere this past week it was implied that he was raping this new wreck and depriving divers of a chance to see it.

Paper nautilus, eh? Any pix? Months ago RogerC found one and took fabulous photos of it. They're pretty critters and related to octopus!

Nice photos, but I feel for the boat owners.

Deb

kelphelper:
Paper nautilus, eh? Any pix?
That was actually ChrisM's find ... I believe he said it didn't end up being in great shape, so he returned it to the water before the boat left the site.

Yes, that bit about Ray just goes to show how rumors get started. On the salvage front, various divers on our boat brought up stuff that will be returned to the owners ... including a tackle box, Suunto D3, a few tools and a bottle of Corona.

Date:Nov 28, 2004
Dive Location: Malibu Road
Time: 10:48 AM
Bottom Time: 56 min
Max Depth: 38 feet
Vis: 20-22 feet
Wave height: 4 inches

Comments:
what a gorgeous day! sunny, no waves, no traffic, 20 mile vis on the surface, great vis in the water. Gannon and I had a wonderful dive. Saw lots of bony fish, echinoderms, a beautiful red-melon anemone and many gastropods. And a very large octopus. I need to get a replacement camera asap.

Scott

Date: 11/28/2004
Dive Location: HMS Yukon (Puke-on)
Time: 07:25
Bottom Time: 38:45
Max Depth: 91
Avg Depth: 54
Surface Temp: 58
Water temp at Depth: 55
Vis: 10-12
Wave height: High swells but no wind.

Date: 11/284
Dive Location: Ruby E (Spewing-ease)
Time: 09:15
Bottom Time: 41:15
Max Depth: 83
AVG Depth: 45
Surface Temp: 58
Water temp at Depth: 54
Vis: 8-10
Wave height: Heavy surge at depth. Large rolling swells on the surface.

Images Here: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/album07

Comments:

Well we were supposed to go to the Coronado's but high seas and a cautious captain meant we would do the local dives instead. Hoping to get under the surge we headed over to the wrecks. First Dive was on the HMS Yukon. The seas were really pitching and rolling and before long some were chumming hoping to bring the fish to the boat. We geared up quickly but carefully on the bobbing deck and got in as quickly as possible. Kicking to the buoy we completed the final checks and headed down the line. Surge jerked the anchor line as we passed deeper. The wreck FINALLY appeared below us and we started out tour. There was surge present here as well but manageable as we moved aft from the forward guns. John and I peered in to the holds, admiring the massive fields of metridiums. With the surge moving we didn't see too many fish and really could pause too long to really look for the small stuff. Hitting out NDL we returned to the line and made the ascent to the boat. Getting back on board was a challenge to say the least. Think rodeo bull riding. That's what the swim step was like. We all made it back on board and quickly decided to motor over to the Ruby for the second dive. Usually when the surge and vis is bad on the Yukon is bad, it's worse on the Ruby. Today proved that to be true. After a short 1 hour SI, no one wanted to stay on board longer than necessary, we again rocked and rolled into our gear and leaped into the increasing swell. At the line we again checked gear and dive plan and headed down. The top of the wreck is at about 65 ft, at 50ft I still couldn't see it. Slowly the outline appeared. The surge was really running here so photo ops were few and far between. Mostly we just fought the surge and looked for big obvious stuff. Do the depth and short SI we quickly ran out of ND time and headed back to boat. Again with the cowboy act and again we all made it back.

Luckily its a very short ride back and before long we were on the pier and kissing the ground in thanks.

Some days are better than others.

Terry S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom