Nothing prevents fogging!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's great. I find if I have more than two days of stubble my mask will start leaking a little. Unless liveaboard diving I generally shave the morning of a dive and never have a leak.

In my experience, when students who have done as much as that have mask fogging problems, it is not the mask that is the problem.

If you are exhaling into the mask through your nose while you dive, that warm, moist air is continually running into the cold plane of glass in the mask. It will condense on the mask. That is called fog.

Make absolutely certain you are not exhaling through your nose as you dive, even a little can cause a problem.

I have a purge valve in my mask and constantly breath out my nose. I did however take a bic lighter, or rather a DM on the boat in COZ, burned the glass lightly. I use 500 PSI defog. It works wonders for me. I can usually do two dives without reapplying. I have other people say it doesn't work for them. Interesting note. A full face mask never fogs and doesn't require spit or commercial stuff on it.

Full face masks have dry air straight out of the tank blowing over the inside of the glass.

I am a huge fan of the lighter trick to eliminate fogging problems. No worries about deforming the mask skirt as someone mentioned early in this post. Silicone is made to take the heat! They make ovenware out of the stuff. I have used the lighter trick on countless masks, and it works wonders.
Here's a link to a youtube video describing how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkqJqM6UTA

No fogging today. After the comment about breathing into the mask, I shaved and, given that I hadn't for about a week, I wonder if it allowed my mask to fit better, reduce water in mask thus reduce me clearing. Anyway, no problem today. YEA!

I remember having a similar problem with a new mask a long time ago. I tried everything to fight the fog. I was explaining to my instructor why it's impossible that this should still be a problem, and he said "are you breathing out your nose?" Of course not! that's dumb, Pfft! ...and then it never happened again....

I use dish washing liquid a couple of drops, rubbed on and rinsed and no prob. Never hurts my eyes and always clear for at least 2 dives. I always shave before diving for a good seal.

When BoulderJohn pointed that out, I paid attention and guess what... I was breathing out of my nose which not only caused fogging but allowed water into my mask all the time.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom