Not the worst of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steak and ice cream. At my age, I don't choose anymore.

Not the worst, but still annoying, people state side who worry about my safety and well-being in Coz. I tell them it's probably the safest
place I've ever been.

We've done our share of tropical Pacific dive trips, and sure, I hope to do more. I'm not even completely sure Cozumel is always hugely cheaper, if you factor in that in some places, like Indonesia, you can find perfectly nice rooms for $25/night and some very decent shore diving cheap. And you get a really good stamp in your passport, as opposed to the comforting familiarity and warmth of Cozumel. Not to mention you might get your worldview opened up by the sight of Japanese war caves, the handshake of a Huli Wigman, a bit of coup in the air, a bowl of kava, or what have you. But as much as I'd be sad to never see another cuttlefish strobing away, so too would I be sad to forever forgo seeing a giant midnight parrotfish with an algae mustache. I'm not sure which is the steak and which is the ice cream, but to both, if possible, yes.

In April 2014 we will be making our 12th trip to the island. In 30 years of diving no other location has earned that number of return visits. I enjoy the people, the island and the diving.

I too have been alot of places in the South Pacific and they were all great, but the travel from Fla kills us. We are finding in harder and harder to book Pacific trips. TSA alone is enough to discourage anybody. Been to Coz 10 times since 97. Money well spent and one of the few places in the Caribbean where fishlife seems to be getting better. I will admit I wish Coz had more big fishlife, we have done many shark trips, and a major wreck would be nice. A big wreck would take some pressure off of the reefs and be a great attraction. Topside never had a bad time and it's great not to be stuck in a resort only for a week or two. Been a couple of years need to get back.. One of the negatives is airline prices seem to be much higher. Mexico should work with airlines to always make it a great value to fly there.

When we first started going to Cozumel in 2000, the price from Denver to COZ was $300pp and a direct 2.5 hour flight. Now that we live it Albuquerque, NM we pay $600-700pp and have to stopover in either Dallas or Houston. STILL worth it, but double price and double travel time.

With that, we can still do a trip to Cozumel, stay at SCC and get 2 boat dives in am, all food, and unlimited free shore diving, add on a few extra boat dives, with our airfare for under $2000pp. This is really, really affordable for a diving couple.

When we first started going to Cozumel in 2000, the price from Denver to COZ was $300pp and a direct 2.5 hour flight. Now that we live it Albuquerque, NM we pay $600-700pp and have to stopover in either Dallas or Houston. STILL worth it, but double price and double travel time.

I used to get airfares in that price range...maybe even cheaper...when Suntrips and Worry-free operated out of Denver. No more. And I suspect that you would be extremely lucky to find that airfare period now. $400 would be great and higher more likely.

You know I love the fact that generally everyone is Cozumel is polite and displays good manners. Somewhat difference that what hear here sometimes......

as someone that has never been to Cozumel, I am intrigued about the mention of "affordability"
putting aside the biased opinions of those that have only been to Cozumel, how affordable is it compared to other Mexican destination, say Mayan Riviera, or any other Caribbean destination?
in the last two years we've been twice to Mayan Riviera, twice to Bermuda, Dominican, Roatan and are presently in Curacao, we have tried both approaches AI and apartment rental etc..so we got basis of comparison, just need someone to put a figure to the "affordability"

To address t4e's question about affordability (which no one else has addressed), I offer the following:

1. Accommodations to suit anyone's budget. You can get a clean safe room from $30 per night, and even nice waterfront rooms for less than $100. Or if you got the Bucks, luxury for prices less than half of many other Caribbean locations.

2. Food can be gotten that is safe and nutritious for less than $5 per meal, or if you get a room with a reefer (many less than $50 per night) you can stock up at the Super Markets and do much of you own, buying groceries at less than US prices.

3. Diving can be found from $60 to $90 as defined as a two tank dive in Cozumel. I've paid less in some Philippine locations and MUCH more in others in the Caribbean. But in Cozumel you can choose what level of service and experience you want. There is a wide choice of services in Cozumel, much greater than you will find, IMHO, than any other place in the world.

4. Air Flights are easy to get for Cozumel and are usually less expensive than any other dive location and with greater frequency than other Caribbean sites. Even if you come through Cancun it is an easy trip to Cozumel on the Playa Del Carmen Ferry

That is why many divers have become "Cozumelenos".

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom