Not the same SS vs Aluminum question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am toying with switching to a DGX bp/w set and am hung up on the SS vs aluminum choice, but not due to adding too much overall weight. Background; I currently dive with a back inflate BC and have LP 85s and a M series HP 100 for tanks. There are a couple of local shore dives that require a bit of a swim out (approximately 200 yards on one of them) which we generally do on our backs. This gives me no trouble with the 85s, but the 100 causes me grief. Even with the bc fully inflated it feels like the 100 is pulling down hard and makes it difficult to catch my breath. My fear is that a SS plate will lead to the 85s having the same affect. Any advise and guidance would be greatly appreciated. And, yes, selling the m series and getting a standard Fabre 100 has crossed my mind.

Erik
Do proper weight checks first of all. I guess you might be overnighted with the HP100 as it stands.

If you are using 22lb or 16lb you have plenty of scope for replacing lead with a steel backplate. I have both aluminium and steel plates and only use the aluminium one with a very heavy set of kit in tropical conditions where I would need no lead at all and still be negative.

Your HP100 sounds rather like my (U.K. spec) 300 bar 12l Faber which is a pig to dive and makes me quite head heavy. As a result it just gets used as a bank.

Aluminium plates 2 pounds difference is no difference at all, get one and watch it corrode, just yuck!

And the dull tone it has clickonkaclack isn't any sound at all!

Good for aeroplane manufacture!

This started about the question of which plate material you should buy. My suggestion given your issues is to get the aluminum plate...it will not contribute physically or psychologically to the issues you are experiencing, and when you figure things out you can always purchase a steel plate later on. An aluminum plate is versatile for both local diving and travel diving, a steel plate too but slightly less so due to its weight for air travel.

A plate setup will be different than your bcd setup and you will most likely find yourself needing a few pounds less lead overall regardless of plate material due to the lack of padding in the unit, and less propensity for trapped air conpared to a jacket/vest bcd.

I am sure you will figure things out once you set up and start diving a bp/w regardless of the plate material, but in ypur present case aluminum is probably the way to go.

-Z

The OP's profile says he is in Rhode Island. He said he is diving with steel tanks AND 16 or more # of lead.

The right plate for those conditions is stainless steel.

Start with the right platform from the beginning and figure it out from there. It's not a remotely unique configuration. I have no doubt that he can work it out with a SS plate.

As a side note on travel: I have flown a number of times with my rig. Always SS. I put it in my carry-on and the extra 3 - 4 # makes no difference to anything (except having to use less or no lead at my destination).

Do proper weight checks first of all. I guess you might be overnighted with the HP100 as it stands.

If you are using 22lb or 16lb you have plenty of scope for replacing lead with a steel backplate. I have both aluminium and steel plates and only use the aluminium one with a very heavy set of kit in tropical conditions where I would need no lead at all and still be negative.

Your HP100 sounds rather like my (U.K. spec) 300 bar 12l Faber which is a pig to dive and makes me quite head heavy. As a result it just gets used as a bank.

Firstly, I agree, I should do another weight check. I didn’t get a chance to use it last summer, but I probably could drop a couple of pounds off.
Secondly, that sounds a lot like this tank. It’s not too bad once under, but is a pain on the surface. I dive with 4# trim located a bit above the top cam strap and with that tank I feel head heavy. However, anyone I have asked to watch me says the trim looks good. I do tend to use the 85s more because they are more comfortable.

Erik

After reading through this thread a couple of times I want to thank everyone for all of the input. This has been a great sounding board and has allowed me to talk this whole thing through. I have realized that this has to be caused by the tank and, therefore a SS plate shouldn’t cause the same problem with the 85s. Too many people use SS plates without issue. I still plan on trying to find one to use before I make a purchase and see if I can find an aluminum plate to try, as well. My Litehawk is still working for me so it’s not like I’m not diving without a bp/w.

Thanks again, everyone.
Erik

After reading through this thread a couple of times I want to thank everyone for all of the input. This has been a great sounding board and has allowed me to talk this whole thing through. I have realized that this has to be caused by the tank and, therefore a SS plate shouldn’t cause the same problem with the 85s. Too many people use SS plates without issue. I still plan on trying to find one to use before I make a purchase and see if I can find an aluminum plate to try, as well. My Litehawk is still working for me so it’s not like I’m not diving without a bp/w.

Thanks again, everyone.
Erik
Where in Rhode Island do you dive?

Thanks again, everyone.
Erik

Depending on when you want to try you very likely can try mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom