Not enough HP ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That could have to do with what we mean when we say cold. In the winter here, water temps are about 0-2C (32-34F). That's enough to take the umph out of just about any battery, which is what I think causes this problem.
OK, you win the contest on this one :). To me 'cold' is anything below 50 degrees F. I have used my Vytec and transmitter regularly in the mid to low 40s. and haven't seen a particular problem associated with cold water, beyond the periodic mis-synchronization, which I also see in warmer waters. So, I can't comment on performance in the 30s.

Last edited:
I actually dive with the Aeris HUD mask and LOVE it. I have only had one problem with it that was a manufactures defect and it was replaced free of charge. I am not familiar with the computer the OP uses and thought he/she just wanted 2 analog gauges. I wear an analog gauge in addition to my transmitter. I wear the transmitter on the right because the receiver in the mask is on the right. If the transmission is ever lost, it is only briefly, and is quickly reestablished. While I too agree that it is not DIR in a strict sense, it is a redundant computer (I wear a dive watch as well) that happens to be in my mask and not on my wrist. The information it provides is very convenient, it does not affect my trim or stream lined position in the water, all of the important information is backed up (pressure gauge, depth gauge, bottom timer), and I happen to like it. I was trained as a DIR diver but believe that this system makes my dive more enjoyable without placing me at unnecessary risk.

Is your computer by any chance a Suunto Vytec? I am currently wrestling with similar problem.

Yes, the old Vytec. I like it a lot but, even after many years, I haven't been able to bring myself to fully trust it. Cold water, competing devices on other divers and doubles with stages may contribute to the problem but sometimes I think it's just gremlins.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting the devices to synch up pre-dive. A little aggravating but, in the end, it's always worked. A handful of times the connection has been lost during a dive. It has always re-established itself within a few seconds without any effort.

Though I would choose the spg over the computer if I had to pick, I like redundancy and don't have a problem with the idea of backup devices to sense depth/gas/time. I like the conservative Suunto algorithm for multi-day/multi-dive recreational diving and it makes a good bottom timer when I'm doing the deep stuff - plus the logging function saves me a potful of time and means all I have to do to log a dive is bring the thing along for the ride.

Back
Top Bottom