Not enough HP ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your options are limited:

1: Get another regulator which has 2 HP ports

2: Get a HP splitter (If memory serves me correctly, Deep Sea Supply offers them)

I'm not going to get into a philosophical/pragmatic debate over using redundant pressure indicators, but I dive a hoseless computer (Oceanic VT Pro) and have an analog SPG.

The analog SPG is attached to the right side HP port and is neatly tucked down the side and clipped to my back plate during the dive. You'd have to look for it to find it.

the K

I'm going to check into this discussion because I have extensive experience using both wireless and analogue SPG's.

I'll be short. The wireless transmitters *can* and *do* fail and they're notoriously unreliable in cold water. However, this should never be an issue for the conscientious diver within the boundaries of recreational diving because of the following:

a) usually when a transmitter loses contact with the computer it re-establishes itself within a minute.
b) you have free access to the surface if you feel you need to bail out.
c) you *should* have enough of a head on your shoulders to have a *rough* idea of your pressure at any point where your computer loses contact with the transmitter
d) you have a buddy and if you're like me, by the 1/2 way point of a dive you can usually guess within a few bar what your pressure is by looking at your *buddy's* spg.... !

In any even #c en #d above make assumptions about your skills but these are skills you can train.

For technical divers, the issue becomes, surprisingly, even simpler. The chances of having to check your spg more than once or twice during a well planned and tightly controlled dive are very small. Technical divers generally don't use them, however because the simple fact is that an analogue gauge is less likely to fail (or get damaged) and most technical divers like to hedge their bets on the safe side.

Do I still use one? no. I dive a hog config, which is the simplest, most robust config I can dream up, and my personal feeling about the issue is that if you feel you need a backup spg then you really need to "let go" of the wireless option and just, as Nemrod said (and believe me we are seldom squarely on the same page) sell the transmitter on ebay.

R..

Yeah, Well I'd stick with a B/G spg, But there maybe is one more option.
Older K and J valnes Have a HP nut on the back,These are quite common and
can be picked up on ebay for $10 or so ( I have about 10) You can tap off
there without a splitter I think. Anybody agree/ disagree? :D
PORBEAGLE

I admit to being "a stroke" as far as this is concerned. I do dive a AL Titan LX that has one HP port. BECAUSE I wanted the convenience (and I mean convenience) of the Vytec on my wrist but also wanted the "security" of my Cobra on the hose (Hey, I said I was a stroke!), I had the same problem the OP has. The solution, an HP splitter that Trident (I believe) sells. It works just fine.

Yes, it is one, or two, more failure points but, honestly, it ain't that much and of course the failure points are static. I get laughed at by my DIR buddies/friends(?) but the system works and I'm just fine with it.

I just purchased an aqualung regulator as well as a wrist computer. I would like to carry a back up pressure gauge however there are not enough ports on my 1st stage.
To make sure I understand the question - are you looking for a way to use two 'hard wired' SPGs, PLUS a transmitter for a computer, i.e. you require 3 ports? Or, are you using one 'hard wired' SPG and a transmitter, needing 2 HP ports, and your first stage only has one? If the former, I agree with the advice to drop one of the SPGs - that is more redundancy than necessary. If your first stage only has one HP port, I would ordinarily think about a different regulator. However, it sounds like this is a recent purchase. So, a splitter such as Peter mentions might work. I also think that Apeks makes a swivel splitter - runs about $30 - that might meet your need, and should be available through Apeks dealers.
Diver0001:
The wireless transmitters *can* and *do* fail and they're notoriously unreliable in cold water. However, this should never be an issue for the conscientious diver within the boundaries of recreational diving because of the following: a) usually when a transmitter loses contact with the computer it re-establishes itself within a minute.
I may not go quite as far as 'notoriously' but I agree with Diver0001, that there may be synchronization issues, that they are usually intermittent, and that this should not be an issue for the most part. Personally, I haven't noticed that water temperature is a factor, as I have had this happen both in cold quarries and warm coastal waters, but I find it occurs at lower tank pressures (<800 PSI). Having said this, I use my wireless pressure information as a luxury - easier to look at my wrist than unclip my SPG - but always dive a SPG, with or without my wireless unit.

I agree with Diver0001, that there may be synchronization issues, that they are usually intermittent, and that this should not be an issue for the most part. Personally, I haven't noticed that water temperature is a factor, as I have had this happen in cold and warm coastal waters, but I find it occurs at lower tank pressures (<800 PSI).

That could have to do with what we mean when we say cold. In the winter here, water temps are about 0-2C (32-34F). That's enough to take the umph out of just about any battery, which is what I think causes this problem.

R..

I agree with those who say you only need a standard SPG, but that does not answer your question. Here is a link to an adapter you may be interested in.

High Pressure Adapters

couv

I just purchased an aqualung regulator as well as a wrist computer. I would like to carry a back up pressure gauge however there are not enough ports on my 1st stage. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!:D

I carry a SPG as a backup to my Galileo. The only thing you can do at this point is to live with what you have, buy a HP splitter or purchase another first stage. I recommend a SP MK 25. The MK 25 has two high HP and five LP ports. :palmtree: Bob

Rot:

Interesting comment about the cold water. I wonder if replacing batteries before every dive is a solution to the CW issue. Sort of a "make sure the battery is topped off" approach.

FWIW - I have used by Vytec w/transmitter in 38F water, no problems - but the batteries had just been installed, so they were very fresh.

You bought a new regulator that doesn't have enough HP ports. So take it back and exchange it for an AL first stage with two HP ports on it.

Or do what I'd do, sell the transmitter (here, ebay, etc.), buy a B&G SPG and keep the difference.

Back
Top Bottom