Not enough HP ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boyerk77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased an aqualung regulator as well as a wrist computer. I would like to carry a back up pressure gauge however there are not enough ports on my 1st stage. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!:D

I am not sure why you would want to carry a back up pressure gauge unless you have an air integrated wrist computer and want an analog gauge as a back up. I am unaware of such a gauge failing. If your 1st stage has only one HP port and you desire another then you would have to get another 1st stage that has 2 HP ports. Having multiple analog pressure gauges attached to a single 1st stage is unnecessarily redundant. The single gauge you have should me more than enough.

Last edited:
sounds like you dont trust the wireless transmitter? are they that unreliable? not trying to be funny or sarcastic, just asking. i was looking at them today and wondering...

Take the wireless doodad and sell it on eBay and install and B&G spg, problem solved.

N

Many people buy wireless transmitters which are often problematic, at about 10X the price of analog spg's, and then back them up with analog spg's, which are just about foolproof. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
I just purchased an aqualung regulator as well as a wrist computer. I would like to carry a back up pressure gauge however there are not enough ports on my 1st stage. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!:D
I dive with a wireless (nice to be able to see the pressure on my wrist, nicer to be able to log and analyze my gas consumption) but I'm not comfortable with the lag time the wireless has and have had occasional issues with synchronizing the Tx/Rx so I have an analog backup on the system. I understand the concern you have and only see two solutions:
  1. Replace the regulator with one that has two HP ports.
  2. Ditch one of the SPG's. If you only have room for one, keep the analog.
I'm not familiar with any HP port splitters and wouldn't use one even if I did.

I dive this configuration, but I dive doubles so I have the transmitter on one post and the SPG on the other. This way if I ever had to isolate I'd still know how much gas I had on either individual tank. (Though mine are AL Legend regs which do have 2 HP ports.)

For recreational diving with singles I dive with the transmitter/computer only. However I do "carry" the SPG, a Uwatec BT/depth gauge, and tables on the trip with me. If the computer ever craps out "during a dive" (which I have never even heard of) I would end that dive and then switch to the SPG and BT and dive tables for subsequent dives.

There's really not much if any reason to dive with both the transmitter and SPG on the same recreational dive. If your computer dies, you're ending the dive, so having the SPG with you doesn't help you finish that dive unless you are also carrying a backup timing device and depth gauge. And at that point I'd say that you should ditch the computer, as that's probably a lot more redundancy than you need for a recreational dive.

I dive with a wireless (nice to be able to see the pressure on my wrist, nicer to be able to log and analyze my gas consumption) but I'm not comfortable with the lag time the wireless has and have had occasional issues with synchronizing the Tx/Rx so I have an analog backup on the system. I understand the concern you have and only see two solutions:
  1. Replace the regulator with one that has two HP ports.
  2. Ditch one of the SPG's. If you only have room for one, keep the analog.
I'm not familiar with any HP port splitters and wouldn't use one even if I did.

Is your computer by any chance a Suunto Vytec? I am currently wrestling with similar problem.

K.I.S.S..........it's worked for years, put the old timey one on & git wit it.....

Back
Top Bottom