Not ditching for fear of losing. Black or NTSB neon inserts?

What color do you think ditchable weight pocket inserts should be? And why?

• Black

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Something neon

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Something else, non neon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any color, as it does not matter.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other, ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelMc

Working toward Cenotes
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I’m new posting on the board. I assist in teaching scientific diving at UC Berkeley, where I’m a graduate student. This post is about a near miss I could see myself making. I don’t think it’s far fetched. It doesn’t involve any accident I know of. I’m just wondering about my gear, and maybe all our gear. It might be a little thing we can fix.

From reading accident reports, it seems many bodies are recovered with all their weights and getting people to ditch when needed is important. So I wonder about how I’ve set up my ditch choices. On my rig, my choices are between 4 pounds in each of two ditchable weight pockets, or a 14 pound belt (1). The 4 pound pocket inserts are black and the belt is neon.

In a drill, I would hesitate to drop the black 4 pound inserts for fear of losing them in the bottom, preferring my heavier neon belt. In a potential emergency wondering if maybe I should ditch some weight, a small part of my brain would worry about the weight color. Because you play like you practice. I think I would make whatever the right choice is, but it would be much nicer if there were no little hitches getting in the way of that choice. If my ditchable weights were uniformly NTSB neon orange findable.

If we can, let’s assume that others have discussed at length the safety of surface ditching, the risks of deep or cave ditching, balanced rigs, redundant buoyancy, and the option of incremental ditching.

So, assume that I ditch the neon 14 pound belt at depth and become an embolism rocket or vacillate between black and neon and drown. Would people worry about the color choice by dear departed me? If we are fine tuning our safety, how do neon weight pocket inserts look in terms of pros and cons?

My thoughts on the pros and cons.
Pros:
* Color not slowing down my stressed brain on if or which weight to ditch.
* Few worries finding them after a practice ocean ditch drill.
* Option of ‘safety is key’ discussion when appropriate.

Cons:
* Some neon shining out of the outer pocket during the dive.
* Explaining why the pockets are funky without freaking people out.
* Any patent on bright colors for things you drop in murky water.
* Sourcing neon fabric, and maybe tape.
* People ditching ones they’ve stuffed 14 pounds into and becoming rockets.

If people like the neon option, I found coated neon 1000D Cordora at seattlefabrics and rockywoods, but not uncoated. On which neon color, I like green as sort of a very bright bit of plant, that maybe fits the underwater ecosystem I’m visiting. Orange might be safest; some might like pink or yellow. For safety, the differences seem less than the black to neon change.

Some luggage companies have differentiated themselves by using brightly colored linings inside their bags to make it easier to find little stuff. Maybe we should follow their lead for detachable weight pocket inserts. Granted, it might not save a life. But it would make practicing ditching easier, it would raise the bar of the safety conversation, and the costs do not look high.

Is there a reason weight inserts are black?
Have others looked at this?

Edit: Added poll. And I'm not very worried about my weights, but, if we can pick, black seems the wrong choice, to me.

Michael McCoyd

(1) I have ditchable ACB pockets so I can ditch incrementally at depth and not turn into a missile. I have a heavy weight belt so I can manage detaching myself from my rig mid water if entangled. 35 pounds total for a 10mm farmer john and beaver tail wetsuit for single tank dives, which I likely can swim up with out ditching from the fairly shallow depths I dive.

Last edited:
If you're in a situation dire enough to require you to ditch weights in order to survive, it's hard to see that the potential cost of a couple of weight pockets would be an issue. The fact that it's a concern at all is interesting.

If it was a clear-cut "If I don't drop my weights, I'm going to die" situation, then you're right. Bit if it's a situation that is less obvious, such as you can't see the boat but you know it's around somewhere (so you know it's going to be a fairly long wait), or the seas are building up while you're waiting, I could see some people considering their chance of getting their weights back and avoiding the cost of replacing them, being a consideration.

As you have a scientific mind ask yourself why do you ever need to ditch weight? If you run out of gas mid dive and make a couple of fin kicks up you are now positively buoyant and heading to the surface. Under what set of circumstances is our hypothetical situation when wondering what weight to ditch?

Panic is the primary cause of death underwater. Panic denies us a rational response and causes inappropriate action under stress. Are you rationally deciding which weights to drop or in a state of panic?

My normal gear has no easy to ditch weights. V weights are bolted to the backplate between the double tanks. To ditch them you need a wrench.

If you are to become a Divemaster this is something you need to really understand. What would your view be if you had to dive with me and I have no ditchable weights? Why do I feel safe? Why do other people drown in their weightbelts? Why do people drown with a full tank of air and an empty pony?

Your question about weight colour is nonsense. Stop. Go back to basics and think about why new divers are taught to ditch weights. Now look at 20 new divers and see how over weighted they are and how bad their buoyancy is. If you want to be a good Divemaster think about how you rectify the real problem.

Good luck with the DM. All the best with your studies at Berkeley.

Too many choices to dump the weight is a problem in itself. Ditch the bloody pockets if and when your life or your buddy's life depend on it and stop whining!!

Last edited:
I think if some part of the brain is worried about finding weights after they have been ditched that there's a disconnect somewhere about what ditching weights means to the diver. Needing to ditch weights means the stuff has hit the fan and that this is the last resort to keep from possibly dying.
I do agree with your weight distribution strategy and applaud it. I might suggest going a little further and adding a 3rd placement option - pockets on the cam bands to get a little more off the belt.
I do like the idea of color on integrated pockets. Not to aid in finding them though as much as in making them a target to rescuers to look for in order to drop them. NOT at depth, however!
In cave and deep wreck dives, the concern regarding weights is not how easy can they be dropped but how can we make sure they don't get dropped by accident. It's why the belt is worn under the crotch strap when using a BPW or other BC that has one such as a sidemount rig.
The amount of time it takes to cut a crotch strap or loosen it to drop a belt at the surface is not something we worry about.
Along with coloring the pockets, I'd be more interested in seeing a system that is universal to integrated pockets and not subject to manufacturing whims. There are systems that are easy and intuitive. There are those that require one to undo a clip before you can grab the handle to pull the pocket out. Some can be pulled out from the side, bottom, top, or most any other angle. Others must be pulled straight out. Knowing which is which can be a challenge if you don't know the person you are assisting and have not previously seen their brand of BC.
Another item I suspect that has something to do with the color is cost. Colors add cost. Different fabrics may involve making an investment in another run of material that the mfg is likely not willing to make.
There is also the issue of cosmetics. Manufacturers of dive gear have been playing with cosmetic adjustments for decades to increase sales. In some cases, it has had the appearance of putting looks ahead of function in the real world.
A standard color for pockets is going to limit their ability to stand out from the other guy. Having the system standardized would cut into the their bottom line as you could then buy a $20.00 pocket from Joe Bob Scuba to replace the $75.00 ScubaPro pocket you dropped.
Can't have safety, ease of use, economy, and common sense put ahead of the bottom line.
All of this is why I use a Mako rubber free diving belt with individual pockets that I can access to dump weight if necessary in increments or the whole thing.
I also have the peace of mind using this that Mako's policy gives. Other mfg's would do well to adopt it.
If I need to drop my Mako belt in an actual emergency, all I need to do is notify them and provide a written statement of the incident and they will replace the belt AND the lead at their expense.
The cost of the pocket, belt, lead, etc. should never be considered over the cost of a life.
It's also why in open water I use a BC that is modular - BPW or my sidemoung rigs. If I'm in distress and someone needs to get me out of it - they can just cut the damn webbing quickly with shears, EEZYCut, or knife (mind the point please) and all I'm out is ten bucks worth of webbing. No clips, padding, or other junk to worry about.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ron,
Rationally, cost is not a concern. But if every time I practice I worry about finding those bloody black things or notice how dark they are, my panicked mind might focus on that and slow down. Which I could avoid if they were neon.

Chris,
Yes, you raise the balanced rig view which has validity. I think mine is rather balanced. and I should not need to ditch in say a wing failure. For my DM lecture I’m discussing at length getting buoyancy and flat trim right. So I very much agree. I dove no deco along the Tahoe 800' wall with a buddy, who does tech, who had no ditchable. I was a bit worried as he/we had fewer options in a wing failure. And yes, double wing would have been better.
I’ve set up so I have the *extra* option to ditch a little, or a lot. But is there a better color for the pouch I ditch them in? So swim up v.s. ditch 4, 8, 14, or all, if I’m passing out, are the only factors my panicked brain has available to play with?

Burhan,
Thanks. But I want them to look pretty on the bottom for the fish. :). Sorry for whining.

Jim,
Thanks. Yes the neon would help the buddy, for the systems where it is not covered when worn. I don’t care about one standard neon. I am all for companies deciding to be the green, orange, or pink neon pocket company. Or offering several colors. I just want the to be neon, not black. I’m just worried about the ditchable part, so special runs by color would seem just for that part. And yes, there are way to many attachment methods. Money back if ditched is a great policy!

Michael

Back
Top Bottom