not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, of all the differences between dive computers out there, computing power is probably the least of them. I'm pretty sure that the most expensive dive computer and the cheapest dive computer are both way overpowered for the relatively simple (in computer terms) math that they need to do in running a preferred algorithm.

Much more important are things like display, power systems, durability, customer support, etc...
i can agree with you there cpu are so powerful these days maybe one day they will have a big enough memory card in them so you can watch a movie while doing a safety stop lol

I like the Garmin Descent for different reasons than when people like the Teric. I use it as my daily smartwatch and as a fitness device and it's a top-class device in those categories. It's excellent for diving, too, and I love that I can have one main device above and below water.

You're not going to find anyone (except maybe a crank or two) that's going to hate on Shearwater. The products are great and customer support is superb.

That said, if the implied question is: "are they the best?", then you have to say "for what?".

@descend prefers the MK1 because it does some additional stuff on land that a Teric doesn't. Perfectly reasonable. My kids don't need $1000 Terics for their 60' dives on air. Secondhand Oceanic Atoms fill that bill nicely for them and it'd be silly to spend the extra coin. For technical divers, Shearwater comes as close to the "industry standard" as anything is going to get. That doesn't mean it's the only game in town, but it does say something.

I recently got to the the Deepblu cosmiq + in person. While it’s not a teric or perdix I was pleasantly supervised by the screen. Really readable for the price.

You're not going to find anyone (except maybe a crank or two) that's going to hate on Shearwater. The products are great and customer support is superb.

I'll be honest... the customer support is one of the reasons I support them. I've read a few stories here on SB about people who bought 'other' computers and the issues they have getting a legitimate response for customer support.

Other reasons I love them...
-Stupid simple, intuitive, operation...
-User changeable batteries (Perdix) that take common AA's, and DIN o-rings should you need to replace those in a pinch...

There was a story about a guy that didn't worship Shearwater but I'm pretty sure that's just an Urban myth......lol.

You don't get an SB account if you aren't one. I'm sure those people exist somewhere in dusty corners of Dark Web, but rest assured: we're safe from them here.

Back
Top Bottom