Not a lot of talk about Oceanic Regs.. why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shame you had so much trouble.. not having the coupling in the case of a hose failure would be a pain. Another thing I know about that particular 2nd stage is that there is another brand of reg that is more or less an exact clone and the parts are interchangeable. I smashed an exhaust port once (dropped a tank on it) the Oceanic replacement was $100 or something ridiculous, the other brand was about 1/5 that. It pays to have a good reg tech :wink: I've got a handful of 4.2 swivel hoses as well haha

I have 8 or 9 sets of Oceanic. I'm using the SP5-Alpha's for state and deco regs. I have a few FDX-10's with Delta 4.X. They are pretty good regs and come with a lifetime parts guarantee.

Just last month I started moving over to Dive Rite regs. They are in the same price range and the newest reg has the lowest cracking pressure ever. They have the best parts guarantee ever. It's transferable, it's for the true lifetime of the reg, and there is no +/- one month bs.

I started with Oceanic when I got certified. CDX5 with Delta 3 2nd. Then a CDX5 with GT3 second followed by an Alpha 7 with DX4 first with the envirokit. The CDX5's were my main doubles regs until I started moving over to HOG's. I was/am an Oceanic Tech and the was part is why I started to move away from them. I stopped working with the shop I got them through and it became a pain in the butt to get kits. I still have the DX4 with the Alpha. It's a back up pool reg. And one of my main pool regs is another CDX5 with Edge and Sherwood seconds on it. I refuse to jump through hoops to get kits so I'll use these until they fail and then use them for class room presentations. I'm also not crazy about the Delta3 seconds. They breath great but tuning can be a pain. That little nylock nut can't be backed off if you accidentally turn it a tad too far. I have not looked at the FDX10 much. When it first came out there were problems with it whistling, which was fixed, and I just don't like the hose routing on it. And the DVT? big mistake putting that on there. All it did was needlessly add $100 to the price.

I own two sets of GT3 and SP5 combos, one Alpha 8 and one Alpha 9. I bought them in dive packages when I first started back again. I dove a set for my first season and part of the second and I loved my GT3..never had any problems and to me they breathed as well as my HOGs. I gave them to my kids when I upgraded to HOGS. The only reason I did so was because we do cold water diving at depth and a friend of mine had a 1st Stage free flow diving the cemetery at Lake Jocassee with Oceanic regs so that was all it took for me. His were older regs (Omega 2 and idk the 1st stage) but I never had any problems and had done that same dives several times. So in short, I trust my children's lives with them, I just wouldn't dive them in colder waters as the ones I have aren't sealed.

Oceanic 2nds are made with a plastic that is more brittle than say a scubapro or apeks. I've seen too many crack. Now, I do have an alpha 2nd on an OW rig tht is over 15 years old and hasn't been serviced in that time, though it doesn't see a whole lot of use.

I started with Oceanic when I got certified. CDX5 with Delta 3 2nd. Then a CDX5 with GT3 second followed by an Alpha 7 with DX4 first with the envirokit. The CDX5's were my main doubles regs until I started moving over to HOG's. I was/am an Oceanic Tech and the was part is why I started to move away from them. I stopped working with the shop I got them through and it became a pain in the butt to get kits. I still have the DX4 with the Alpha. It's a back up pool reg. And one of my main pool regs is another CDX5 with Edge and Sherwood seconds on it. I refuse to jump through hoops to get kits so I'll use these until they fail and then use them for class room presentations. I'm also not crazy about the Delta3 seconds. They breath great but tuning can be a pain. That little nylock nut can't be backed off if you accidentally turn it a tad too far. I have not looked at the FDX10 much. When it first came out there were problems with it whistling, which was fixed, and I just don't like the hose routing on it. And the DVT? big mistake putting that on there. All it did was needlessly add $100 to the price.

Interesting you don't like the hose routing on the FDX10 as that's one of the things I like about them. For doubles they work well angled in at around 45° so the HP hose goes straight down. For singles I mount mine upside down with a short HP hose over the shoulder alongside the inflator or with a 90° HP elbow down to hip like I do currently. I cringe when I see them "right way up", it smacks the back of my head like that although that's how it was designed to make use of the weird HP port angle... each to their own :) The DVT was gimmicky that's for sure. I don't have one on my yoke version.

All my CDX5's have been converted to DIN so no DVT anymore.

With oceanic being as large as it is I am just surprised more diverse don't talk about their regs. It got me wondering if my buddy was making a mistake. Thanks for the info. I have passed it all on to him.

Apparently the guy he is working with is recommending it over an AL Legend. Again I don't know enough about oceanic but the AL is a really good unit. Any way. Thanks for the info

I started with a CDX5 and GT3 and it was an excellent reg set. Breathed just as easy at 100' as it did at 30'.

I did however get a good deal on an AL Legend and that is my primary reg set now. I keep the Oceanic as my back-up.

I stopped working with the shop I got them through and it became a pain in the butt to get kits.

NESS sells Oceanic kits as well as My Scuba Shop on Amazon. There may be other sources also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom